BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-12-2022, 01:07 PM   #969
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
It’s right here. Banning use banning use is non sequitur. If you ban use, you are effectively banning them.

It was misleading. Just admit it.

Switzerland is making contingency plans, just like every nation does. They are not banning EVs.
"Switzerland considers electric-car bans during electricity shortages
Electric vehicles could be parked or restricted in use, as one power-saving measure under consideration in Switzerland to combat potential energy shortages, related in part to the conflict in Ukraine." https://www.drive.com.au/news/switze...wer-shortages/
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58915.00
      12-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #970
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
It’s right here. Banning use banning use is non sequitur. If you ban use, you are effectively banning them.

It was misleading. Just admit it.

Switzerland is making contingency plans, just like every nation does. They are not banning EVs.
Manufacture, distribution, sales, service and ownership of EVs are not banned by Switzerland, do you agree?
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58915.00
      12-12-2022, 01:17 PM   #971
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Manufacture, distribution, sales, service and ownership of EVs are not banned by Switzerland, do you agree?
The use is not banned either.

If you are going to say something is banned due to emergency contingencies, you are being intentionally misleading.

Water is banned in the US.

Like I said. It was misleading. Just admit it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #972
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Over here my power company requested to switch our power off today between prime time 17.00 and 19.00 to take the pressure of our electricity substation...and save a few bob on our bill.
Appreciate 1
chassis6375.00
      12-12-2022, 01:51 PM   #973
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
The use is not banned either.

If you are going to say something is banned due to emergency contingencies, you are being intentionally misleading.

Water is banned in the US.

Like I said. It was misleading. Just admit it.
Water is not banned in the US. The above quote is a strawman argument.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:14 PM   #974
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
This review does a fantastic job of summarizing my frustrations with the current automotive landscape.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uIxYhFCO4I0
Appreciate 4
chad86tsi1596.00
M5Rick58915.00
      12-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #975
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Water is not banned in the US. The above quote is a strawman argument.
Water is banned. Damn, you can dish it out, but you can't take it when called out...
      12-13-2022, 06:44 AM   #976
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
This review does a fantastic job of summarizing my frustrations with the current automotive landscape.

Excellent video.....final thoughts sums it up nicely "how many disposable products do you have to make before you get to a complete conversion process".

I feel that way about all EV's. I don't see there being a resale market for them, and the reality is that most people don't buy new cars, they can't afford them or don't want to tie up that kind of money so they buy used. I have bought very few new cars in my life, I usually get a car that is a year or two old with low mileage. For me, that's better bang for my buck. I usually keep my cars for 5 or more years. I can't for the life of me imagine ever wanting to buy a used EV for the concern about battery life/replacement cost and they just seem like a laptop, disposable not something you can sell or trade in when you're done with it.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58915.00
ASAP10057.00
KRS_SN13109.00
      12-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #977
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I feel that way about all EV's. I don't see there being a resale market for them, and the reality is that most people don't buy new cars, they can't afford them or don't want to tie up that kind of money so they buy used.

It's still too early to tell, due to demand and unknowns. But the market would sort itself out if that were the case. A car with a literal lifespan of 5 years would depreciate like a... Maseratti.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2022, 07:02 AM   #978
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post

''A $60k car that's boring to drive'' He said it not me and already worrying where he will re-charge just to get back home
Appreciate 2
DrFerry6724.00
      12-13-2022, 04:18 PM   #979
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
I won't suggest EV's don't have a place in the market but typical of government pushing their agenda without actually thinking it all the way through. Something I learned a long time ago, it's easy to make policy and start the ball rolling when you know full well you won't be around to have to see it through.
This. When it all goes feet up they won't be around and the buck will be passed to other gov.lackeys to carry the can whence it will hit the young who start working and paying the extortionate taxes for this white elephant.
Appreciate 4
DrFerry6724.00
Cos270608.50
KRS_SN13109.00
      12-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #980
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

What's her names climate doomsday movie opened, and maybe closed, this weekend.

Cash register results are in:
The average ticket sales per theater was $80.

🔥, pure 🔥.
      12-13-2022, 05:17 PM   #981
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
What's her names climate doomsday movie opened, and maybe closed, this weekend.

Cash register results are in:
The average ticket sales per theater was $80.

🔥, pure 🔥.
A documentary featuring Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and climate activists pushing the Green New Deal flopped in its opening weekend, taking just $9,667.

That works out as an average of $80 per theater for the movie 'To The End,' according to ticket receipt data published by Box Office Mojo.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-weekend.html

I wonder how many went out of pure morbid curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:33 PM   #982
M5Rick
General
Rep

^ I read it to see if Thunberg was involved,thankfully not
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 04:45 PM   #983
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
A documentary featuring Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and climate activists pushing the Green New Deal flopped in its opening weekend, taking just $9,667.

That works out as an average of $80 per theater for the movie 'To The End,' according to ticket receipt data published by Box Office Mojo.

This makes me a bit curious.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 05:26 AM   #984
G MONEY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Quote:

This makes me a bit curious.....
Nice rack!!!! Motor boat time!!!!!
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2022, 06:58 AM   #985
M5Rick
General
Rep

^^ She has to do something to make ppl lk, certainly more interesting than what she's saying heheheh
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2022, 07:38 AM   #986
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Stop with the fake news already. Switzerland is NOT banning EVs and if you are not interested in telling the actual story, don't post anything.
This article is written by a former Liberal Member of parliament in Canada. It's worth the read as it discusses why Switzerland is considering a ban on the use of EV's during winter months.

https://www.affordableenergy.ca/the_...ZdGvptjlFOYMPM
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58915.00
chad86tsi1596.00
      12-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #987
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This article is written by a former Liberal Member of parliament in Canada. It's worth the read as it discusses why Switzerland is considering a ban on the use of EV's during winter months.

https://www.affordableenergy.ca/the_...ZdGvptjlFOYMPM
In prior discussions about how we are supposed to charge these EV's, many pro EV advocates have stated that by creating demand, the supply will be motivated to meet that demand.

OK, lets think this through... I demand more of X. X is finite. laws of supply and demand dictates that this will increase the price of X. If X increases in price, there is motivation to make more of X. Where does X come from? that's the problem, X is finite...

OK, lets just make a new X. OK, how? oh, we'll figure that out when we get there.

Good luck

Many communities in my vicinity are banning natural gas on all new construction. It's a mandate to wean those communities off of "dirty carbon energy". Ok, what will replace all those BTU's used to heat homes, heat their water, and cook their food? the answer is always : The power grid will supply it. OK, where will all that extra power come from, and who will pay for those upgrades? the answer is always : somebody else will figure it out.

It's an unfunded mandate with no foresight. Kind of like climbing a tree to prune its limbs, and cutting off the branch you are standing on. Have fun with the fall, hope you have a pain free landing. Hint, you won't like what happens next.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2022, 03:10 PM   #988
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
In prior discussions about how we are supposed to charge these EV's, many pro EV advocates have stated that by creating demand, the supply will be motivated to meet that demand.

OK, lets think this through... I demand more of X. X is finite. laws of supply and demand dictates that this will increase the price of X. If X increases in price, there is motivation to make more of X. Where does X come from? that's the problem, X is finite...

OK, lets just make a new X. OK, how? oh, we'll figure that out when we get there.

Good luck

Many communities in my vicinity are banning natural gas on all new construction. It's a mandate to wean those communities off of "dirty carbon energy". Ok, what will replace all those BTU's used to heat homes, heat their water, and cook their food? the answer is always : The power grid will supply it. OK, where will all that extra power come from, and who will pay for those upgrades? the answer is always : somebody else will figure it out.

It's an unfunded mandate with no foresight. Kind of like climbing a tree to prune its limbs, and cutting off the branch you are standing on. Have fun with the fall, hope you have a pain free landing. Hint, you won't like what happens next.
I've said this numerous times in this thread, common sense dictates that given given the need to overcome the inertia of status quo on the grid the need to double electrical output and increase the grids ability to manage the doubling of output against the ability to build nuclear plants and build the transmission infrastructure against the time lines it can't happen short of a shift like a World War effort to get it done, and so far what we have is lots of airy fairy talk and little actual movement. What do I know though, I'm just an old retired policeman.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00
      12-18-2022, 03:29 PM   #989
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
What do I know though, I'm just an old retired policeman.
Well I'm one of the guys that supports and builds the grid, and I can say with absolute certainty that you aren't wrong in the least.

It takes ~15 years to turn fariy talk into watts delivered to customers, and that assumes you have a plan. We don't even have a plan.
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
      12-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #990
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm one of the guys that supports and builds the grid, and I can say with absolute certainty that you aren't wrong in the least.

It takes ~15 years to turn fariy talk into watts delivered to customers, and that assumes you have a plan. We don't even have a plan.
These will all be government projects, they can't build 21 km of LRT across Toronto on time or on budget, never mind building dozens of nuclear power plants and the power lines to carry the electricity, oh, and let's not forget the "rapid charging stations". I have worked with government and I just don't see it happening.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00