BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-16-2022, 12:08 AM   #1
figobmw
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

I'm entertaining the idea of getting a 2019 740i (choose it because it's the cheapest CPO year plus I fall in love with 16-19 design which has smaller grille

Saw some come with the rear luxury pack, which means back two main seats can individually recline and comes with the tablet control. It's different from lounge pkg since lounge pkg loses the middle seat in back. I have two young kids so definitely need all the seats in back.

Test drove it and even tried out putting car seat there. The recline doesn't work well with the center car seat in place but I think a different car seat may work better.

So is the rear pkg a nice to have? Would you recommend? Feel like without it the enormous legroom is a bit wasted since you can't lay more flat. Meanwhile, i see most 740 doesn't come with it. Wonder why. Maybe fleet use doesn't care?

An extended question is whether 7 series will make a great family car. I have a 2022 X5 45e already so half foot into the EV world. I look at all the luxury brands out there and don't find something more luxurious roomy while sporty like the 7 in the sedan world.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #2
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

I have it and the kids use it a lot. Don’t carry more than 3 of them at a time, but they love the car. They use the rear tablet and watch films on the screens. They use the massage seats too.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 05:29 PM   #3
golobulus5
Rep
Drives: 740ix, TTRS, E55

Cant really answer the first question but to your extended question, yes. I got the 740 because I was tired of getting kicked in the back by my kids. I wasn't against getting a suv but liked the sportiness of a car. The 740 had more rear legroom than the bmw suv's. I have had it for almost 2 years now and love it. I had my rear facing car seat behind the passenger and forward facing behind me. I could sit very comfortably with a child behind me. I'm 6'2.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 06:27 PM   #4
figobmw
Rep

thank you guys for the inputs!

golobulus5 Hey Im in norCal as well (San Mateo area to be exact)!

I'm 6'1 too. If you put two car seats on the main rear seats, then your partner or parent wont be able to enjoy the enormous rear leg room though. That's why i plan to put on in center, while adult can enjoy the recline feature and get a good nap on a weekend trip (at least this is how i imagine it to be used). On ski trip to Tahoe, I will still take the x5 instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

I have a one and found it a waste to have reclining rear seats since when i have two child seats permanent in the car. The extra leg rooms helps with front seat comfort as the kids do not kick the front seats by mistake. The only issue is the size of the trunk and one stroller can easily use up 50% of the available space.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #6
figobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
I have a one and found it a waste to have reclining rear seats since when i have two child seats permanent in the car. The extra leg rooms helps with front seat comfort as the kids do not kick the front seats by mistake. The only issue is the size of the trunk and one stroller can easily use up 50% of the available space.
Have you tried putting one car seat to middle as I did in picture? That way one adult can at least enjoy the back seat
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #7
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by figobmw View Post
Have you tried putting one car seat to middle as I did in picture? That way one adult can at least enjoy the back seat
Yes, if we need to carry an extra adult and it works comfortably. For center installation you have to use the seat belt to anchor for the baby seat versus the anchor latches. You also have to install seat carefully so the adult can access the seat belt latch for their seat belt. It can get stuck behind baby seat. Also if it is a front facing seat in the middle be prepared for your child to keep kicking the climate controls. Otherwise once all installed works very well.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
figobmw
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
Quote:
Yes, if we need to carry an extra adult and it works comfortably. For center installation you have to use the seat belt to anchor for the baby seat versus the anchor latches. You also have to install seat carefully so the adult can access the seat belt latch for their seat belt. It can get stuck behind baby seat. Also if it is a front facing seat in the middle be prepared for your child to keep kicking the climate controls. Otherwise once all installed works very well.
I assume you wouldn't call it a must have feature given your experience.

However I feel like it's a must given the enormous rear legroom otherwise I feel like it's not enjoying the most benefit out of this car.

I'm also surprised to see that majority 7 series in used market doesn't have this feature. So maybe I'm wrong on this. Giving up this feature does allow me to choose from bigger pool and cheaper too
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:47 AM   #9
williamsml1
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i Excellence Package

Quote:
I'm entertaining the idea of getting a 2019 740i (choose it because it's the cheapest CPO year plus I fall in love with 16-19 design which has smaller grille

Saw some come with the rear luxury pack, which means back two main seats can individually recline and comes with the tablet control. It's different from lounge pkg since lounge pkg loses the middle seat in back. I have two young kids so definitely need all the seats in back.

Test drove it and even tried out putting car seat there. The recline doesn't work well with the center car seat in place but I think a different car seat may work better.

So is the rear pkg a nice to have? Would you recommend? Feel like without it the enormous legroom is a bit wasted since you can't lay more flat. Meanwhile, i see most 740 doesn't come with it. Wonder why. Maybe fleet use doesn't care?

An extended question is whether 7 series will make a great family car. I have a 2022 X5 45e already so half foot into the EV world. I look at all the luxury brands out there and don't find something more luxurious roomy while sporty like the 7 in the sedan world.
I have the package in my 750i. It’s awesome because you can control basically everything but the steering from the pad. Very cool. Having said that….not sure its a feature that is the most kid friendly. Extra room back there and harness holds are great. Hope you like it!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:19 PM   #10
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Quote:

I also have a full package when it comes to seat comfort and like you, I was only interested in the option with three seats. Since buying my 740d xdrive and making an engine map that increased the car's potential to over 400bhp. My interest fell as if I had a miss world wife, so other women do not exist for me. I went a little crazy with this comparison but it's probably the most accurate comparison that I'm fully in love with my 7-series. (there was no sex yet) -

PS,- The only thing that fucked me up is that people think when you drive a 7-series, money just flows out of my ass and whatever you want to do in the car is a special queue with especially fucking high prices. Thank God I have some DIY talent, otherwise I think I would have to look for people willing to buy my kidney or other offal, because everything for this car is so expensive as if it was made outta panda.

Last edited by LuckyW; 01-22-2023 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:24 PM   #11
Dickbanks
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 750Li(G12)

Quote:

So I have this package on my 2019 750Li x drive with the 2 rear tv's as well and although I don't use it often, it looks amazing. I just installed a fire stick and can watch streaming content back there. Sometimes when i have time to kill, i go sit in the back, recline throw a movie on and its absolutely wonderful. Would i pay the extra 20-30k to option this out new this way? not sure. But in the used market, where you can get this option for 3-5k over the cost of one without it, i absolutely think its crazy not to get it.
Appreciate 0