BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

12-20-2022, 02:30 PM   #1
2021BMW745e
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530e

Does anyone have perspective on base B&W vs. Diamond B&W on G70?

We are ordering a G70 and I am very torn on the standard audio system, which is still Bowers & Wilkins ("Surround Sound System") and the upgraded "Diamond Surround Sound System". I've read this article and it's obvious that wattage is way up, but I don't think that I really need more than 655 watts. We aren't audiophiles and the stations we listen to most on SiriusXM are Coffee Shop, which is acoustic, and Broadway, which is often live music. Neither of these types of music are going to benefit much from an upgraded system. So I'm leaning towards not getting it, but I am interested in hearing the perspective of someone who has maybe heard both.

I have the B&W system in my 2021 745e now and actually have kind of an issue with it that I can't find the right volume, it's either too loud or too quiet. So I'm not inclined to invest any more into a sound system since it seems I don't fully enjoy high end audio systems. Honestly, my favorite part of it is the lighting.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021BMW745e View Post
We are ordering a G70 and I am very torn on the standard audio system, which is still Bowers & Wilkins ("Surround Sound System") and the upgraded "Diamond Surround Sound System". I've read this article and it's obvious that wattage is way up, but I don't think that I really need more than 655 watts. We aren't audiophiles and the stations we listen to most on SiriusXM are Coffee Shop, which is acoustic, and Broadway, which is often live music. Neither of these types of music are going to benefit much from an upgraded system. So I'm leaning towards not getting it, but I am interested in hearing the perspective of someone who has maybe heard both.

I have the B&W system in my 2021 745e now and actually have kind of an issue with it that I can't find the right volume, it's either too loud or too quiet. So I'm not inclined to invest any more into a sound system since it seems I don't fully enjoy high end audio systems. Honestly, my favorite part of it is the lighting.
I am in your boat. I did not order the upgraded B&O system, as my wife and I are not audiophiles. We listen to a lot of recorded music, mostly classical but with some pop music too off of a USB drive. Most files are MP4 though some are MP3. I come from a G12 that hd the Harmon Kardon system and IMHO the B&W in the G70 is noticeably better and I've not fully tuned the equalizer yet -- still experimenting. The bass in particular is stronger. The quality of the recording (or the stream if that is how you listen) affects what you hear also. If you have a crappy signal, or, in my case, a recording that had been poorly converted from analog to digital, it is going to sound crappy, period. My bottom line is the B&W is more than good enough for me -- BUT -- this is a matter of personal hearing as well as taste, what works for me may not work for somebody else.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2022, 10:31 PM   #3
nirvana19
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 Lotus Evora GT, 91 M5

My dealership had two G70 demos, one with the Diamond and one without. I briefly listened to both and observed that the Diamond had much deeper, fuller bass. Despite being a costly option, after the comparison I feel it's a must have option for me. I listen to a lot of electronic, house, pop, and hip-hop music - deep bass is important across all of these categories.

For the type listening described by OP, I would guess the base system would suffice.

For all the supposed fancy audiophile engineering, I think at the end of the day they're really just overcharging for more (read: excess) power and most of the benefit of that will be in the low end that anyone would notice. If anything the base system is probably more of a well balanced "audiophile system" while the Diamond system is better suited to 7 series dance parties and deep bass for films using the Theater Screen.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2022, 05:25 PM   #4
edojac
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 750i & 2018 M760i

Garage List
Hi, I own a G11 with B&W Diamond Surround and I am now driving a G70 for a few days, with the B&W basic.

The B&W basic has plenty, so probably for your purpose it is more than enough.
This said, I would personally go for B&W with Diamond surround system, for 2 reasons.
1) a more personal, that may not apply to you: I do listen to music with very loud volume to have a fully immersive experience, including the bass vibration massage.
2) if you consider to eventually resell the car, the more optionals the car has the easier it can be sold and hence the higher the price. Although pricey, I think the 7 series deserves the best sounds system money can buy.

Good luck with the purchase!

PS: The G70 is a real step up from the G11, which is already a stunning and sophisticated car.
Appreciate 2
Mr.blue223.00
jphcbpa314.50
      01-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #5
Slevitt
Rep
Drives: 2023 760

I wrestled with this and in the end, the standard system , I feel, is just fine. Yea the extended is amazing but for 5000 extra I don’t think it’s worth it. Especially if your not an audiophile. Turn up the standard system and see if you need more Most likely you’ll be pleased
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      01-31-2023, 12:14 PM   #6
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
I consider myself somewhat of an audiophile and I was planning to get the upgraded system but I ended up buying a car off the showroom floor that didn’t have it. After a good listen and making some adjustments, the base Bowers and Wilkins is not bad. It’s not as powerful and doesn’t have as much punch in the bass as the upgraded option but for front seat drivers it’s pretty good. It has a smooth laid back kind of sound with great detail. The cabin is so quiet that you hear everything in the music and the extra volume is not necessarily needed. I’m really content with it at the moment. I took the sub system that I added to the Harmon Kardon in my X5M out and planned to have it installed in the 7 but after listening for a couple of days I don’t think I really need to. Even the upgraded audio system doesn’t have that really deep, down low bass that I was getting with the single 10” subsystem in my X5M but it does have more upper level punchy bass and maybe more midbass. I am guessing that is because of the use of more power and smaller woofers upfront.
      02-04-2023, 11:56 AM   #7
AKSteve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition Convertible

The standard B&W stereo sounds great. Kudos to BMW for putting a decent-sounding stereo in as the stock stereo.
Appreciate 2
Mr.blue223.00
      02-11-2023, 01:19 PM   #8
rdstudio
Rep
Drives: M760e G70 + M5 F90 + I3S

From my expesience, all B&W high end system do not have super low bass. In BMW or Jag they are more focused on scene, reproduction and clearness. Even after playing in EQ you cant have extra deep bass.

But where are the subwoofers in Diamond B&W? Under front seats?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 10:43 PM   #9
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

They seem to have some bass shakers in the backrest. I had to turn it down because it really kicks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 04:08 PM   #10
7seriesbimmer
Rep
Drives: 7 series

Just curious if there are any additional perspectives on this. There are zero cars within 200 miles that have (or are being built with) the upgraded system so no way for me to have first hand experience….

Thanks.

Last edited by 7seriesbimmer; 05-28-2023 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:47 AM   #11
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

While I KNOW upgrading to the Diamond system is a bad value, and the base system would probably be quite adequate for 90% of everybody, I'm going for that upgrade. Go fig. So long as I'm spending six figures on a car, why not enjoy the most premium sound while driving it? The sonic quality WILL sound at least somewhat better than the OEM system, and I've decided I'm worth it (no matter what my ex's may tell you). ;-)

Last edited by DroMike; 06-30-2023 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: Reexamined.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 09:37 AM   #12
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seriesbimmer View Post
Just curious if there are any additional perspectives on this. There are zero cars within 200 miles that have (or are being built with) the upgraded system so no way for me to have first hand experience….

(unless someone in Houston has one and wants to do a demo!)

Thanks.
My perspective is having had the base system on my first G70 (that was totaled; see earlier thread) and the upgraded system in my replacement car. I am not an audiophile by any means and what we listen to is a lot of classical music off of mp4 files on a USB drive. There is a noticeable improvement in range of tones, with less distortion in the treble tones and bass much stronger. I would say overall clarity is improved also. Is it worth the additional cost? For me, I like the upgraded system better and would order it next time but everyone hears differently.

BTW, I did not order the upgrade. I accepted a car with the upgraded system (as well as the rear seat package) because I had limited choices in March when I needed to find a replacement car.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00