BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #23
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

Based on my experience, I understood that the shop "blends" the repair area and does not entirely repaint the whole panel unless they absolutely have to.

Even then, the affected area will always be a different color. For mine, at least it's only the affected area about 6 x 6 inches of paint repair blended and the rest of the panel is the original paint.

Once you repaint the whole panel, it's impossible to match with the rest of the connecting panels.

Different paint colors, tinters, primers, clear, and hardeners come into play.

Mixing takes skill and the shop needs a super sensitive scale to mix them, it can register a single hair follicle.

Everything is done by hand and depends on the worker's skill set and experience.

In summary, repainting will not be a 100% match from the factory, especially on metallic paint.

I would opt for a full paint correction instead by your local detailer of your choice and bill it to them.

Full paint correction, not applying black heavy glaze wax or sealant to hide the swirls.

If you're suspicious, you can do a test wipe of an Isopropyl alcohol mix solution on a microfiber.

I caught many dealerships that use heavy black glaze wax to hide the buffer trails and swirls scratches.

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2023, 12:11 PM   #24
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoods13 View Post
Based on my experience, I understood that the shop "blends" the repair area and does not entirely repaint the whole panel unless they absolutely have to.

Even then, the affected area will always be a different color. For mine, at least it's only the affected area about 6 x 6 inches of paint repair blended and the rest of the panel is the original paint.

Once you repaint the whole panel, it's impossible to match with the rest of the connecting panels.

Different paint colors, tinters, primers, clear, and hardeners come into play.

Mixing takes skill and the shop needs a super sensitive scale to mix them, it can register a single hair follicle.

Everything is done by hand and depends on the worker's skill set and experience.

In summary, repainting will not be a 100% match from the factory, especially on metallic paint.

I would opt for a full paint correction instead by your local detailer of your choice and bill it to them.

Full paint correction, not applying black heavy glaze wax or sealant to hide the swirls.

If you're suspicious, you can do a test wipe of an Isopropyl alcohol mix solution on a microfiber.

I caught many dealerships that use heavy black glaze wax to hide the buffer trails and swirls scratches.

All the best.
I visited the autobody shop today and got into a bit of an argument with the manager. I had already had a second opinion by a detailer about the sanding marks, holograms and scratches. I asked for the autobody to just do the repaint, but anything else they need a professional detailer to fix. The manager replied that he's not paying for work that they can do themselves. I then brought up that they didn't do it right in the first place and he got mad. And FINALLY he admitted they didn't do a very good job the first time and I asked how can I trust them to do it properly a second time? He then proceeded to tell me they can do a 3 stage polish and I said the car probably doesn't need a 3 stage polish and I don't want anyone burning through the clearcoat making the issue worse than it already is.

I am going to call the insurer and tell them I don't want to take the car back there.

edit: Called them and now had to send them an email with pictures. Hoping to have a decision by end of week so I can book with another auto body.

Rob

Last edited by Rob_G77; 01-25-2023 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #25
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

On friday I had a test polish performed at a local detail shop to see if the polish would make the two paint finishes match better. The detail guy came back to me and simply said the paint match was awful and the metallic flake was too much and too big.

I never heard back from my insurer so the car goes back to the same autobody on January 30th for them to repaint the bumper and rear quarter. At least they arranged for the dealership to give me a loaner so I have to give them credit for that.

I'll bite my tongue until I get the car back..

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 02:21 PM   #26
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

The autobody wanted me to verify I was happy with the repaint before putting the car together. Is it absolutely 100% perfect? No, but it is much better than before.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
bvrider1340.50
      02-02-2023, 02:24 PM   #27
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Much nicer.
      02-02-2023, 02:39 PM   #28
dangerus_car
Banned
Rep
Drives: F30

How hard is it to paint match a mineral white metallic?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 03:27 PM   #29
fmzip
Spoiler Bandit
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i / 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G77 View Post
Last weekend my car got hit yet again by another careless driver. He attempted to pull into a passing lane on the left when snow buildup left no room. He was 2 inches from sideswiping me and his passenger mirror made contact with my driver side mirror (damaging it).

I guess it's time to put another claim on my car, even if the damage is minimal.

Rob
Wow Rob, what a string of bad luck. I feel for you
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #30
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

I'm glad they actually take out the rear tail light when repainting the rear panel, as opposed to just taping it off. They also remove ALL the trim pieces plus the rocker panel. It was one thing that made me shy away from another shop when I saw images of those pieces just being taped off.

I didn't see the bumper repaint, but I'll have to assume it's the same since it's painted at the same time.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #31
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
When I worked in a sports car shop, if the car had metallic paint, we never painted a single side panel. We always painted the whole side of the car, and never had a complaint about paint matching.
      02-10-2023, 06:45 PM   #32
Rob_G77
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Wow Rob, what a string of bad luck. I feel for you
I found out the guy driving the other car was not the registered owner. The owner hasn't filed any claim yet, but the clock is ticking.

------
Good Morning,

The name mentioned is the registered owner of the vehicle. They have until March 10, 2023 to make a claim and take responsibility, if by that time they have not made the claim, then we will clear liability for you, and offer you reasonable rental while your vehicle is being repaired if required.

I will look into the driver of the other vehicle if they ever respond.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

------

Here in Saskatchewan, if you're in an accident you are legally obligated to report the accident. If you don't file a claim, you can be automatically held at fault too.

It would seem silly to call the police for such a minor accident, but when you're dealing with other 'shady' drivers you almost have to. Especially when the other person is at fault, you have no idea if they even have insurance!

Rob
Appreciate 0