BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-22-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
Rioskis
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 740Le x drive

Sound system

Hello all. New here I’m glad I found this forum. Maybe there is also this thread not sure but maybe someone can answer a question..

So I bought bmw 740Le. On grill there is all b&w but when I check by decoder it’s written S676 sound system.. so I was cheated? Or it’s normal? I don’t have diamond I know there is a difference between those to (b&w and b&w diamond) but what is this hifi sound system?.. is that real b&w or no?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #2
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

You're not cheated, -

Can u upload some photos ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:00 AM   #3
Rioskis
Private
Rep

I don’t have now. Just bought it yesterday so no pictures still. But I will do if you need. All grill is with b&w. So I thought I have b&w but when I saw sound system written hifi S676.. so I’m wondering it’s same as b&w or I got cheated somehow..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:06 AM   #4
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's a bit of an expensive game to replace the speaker grilles just to trick you,-

https://www.mdecoder.com/

Made a printscreen of equipment for speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:17 AM   #5
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Here
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:21 AM   #6
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For me looks ok, (maybe someone else can verify it better for you)

Last edited by LuckyW; 01-22-2023 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:23 AM   #7
Rioskis
Private
Rep

So you say it’s b&w? Of course not a b&w diamond where you get light in speaker and all equalizer. Because here I can do only treble and bass nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #8
Coastboater
Rep
Drives: 2017 740i

The code for mine, a 2017 US model is “S6F1”.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 09:43 AM   #9
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

This is absolutely HiFi speaker system.

*The BMW HiFi sound system is a noticeable upgrade with tweeters (usually 2), an additional midrange in the dashboard (usually found in later cars) and an 8-channel amplifier in the trunk (7 of 8 channels are used to power the speakers). What that means is each speaker or speaker pair (in the case of midrange+tweeter channels) has its own dedicated amplifier channel. This is a great improvement over the Base system, since the amplifier located in the trunk has quite a bit more power than one built into the head unit. Due to that change, the system can play louder with less distortion compared to Base models. Also, thanks to the more powerful amplifier, the woofers used in the BMW HiFi speaker system are more capable than their Base counterparts – they have a 2 Ohm impedance, go lower with the bass and deliver cleaner sound at higher volumes. Nonetheless, they will still be lacking some low end thump driven by the OEM amplifier, which is why it’s so beneficial for the HiFi system to get a powerful.

*Another small step above the HiFi (S676A) option audio system is the S674A Harman Kardon system. Why only a small one? You might have been under the impression that Harman Kardon systems are pretty high up in BMW’s audio system hierarchy with their heaps of power and unpleasantly loud volume levels. But, here is the caveat - the Harman Kardon system present in 3, 4, 5 and 7 Series, X5 BMWs and others (listed under option S688A) is completely different to the S674A Harman Kardon option system which can be found in MINIs, 2-Series BMWs and i3s.

The amplifier used in S674A Harman Kardon vehicles is more like the one used in option S676A HiFi BMWs, featuring the same power levels and amount of channels. It’s more or less just like the HiFi system, but with slightly different speakers and coding in the head unit. The reason why BMW created such a system was most probably due to space constraints – the big, powerful, digital 10-channel Harman Kardon amplifier would have a hard time fitting in the smaller chassis cars. For many owners this comes as a disappointment. The good news is that S674A Harman Kardon vehicles can easily be upgraded with BimmerTech’s plug & play Alpha One Speakers & Amplifier upgrade.

*Out of all four standard audio options, Harman Kardon (S688A) – with modest changes carried over from the earlier S677A HiFi System Professional – comes top of the pile. Some late E Series and early F Series models were produced with both the S677A HiFi System Professional and the Harman Kardon S688A, depending on model year. They have their differences, but both share a similar layout and amplifiers which have been described below.

With the BMW Harman Kardon surround sound system, you’ll find a surprising amount of speakers in your BMW — usually 16. Two underseat woofers, and 7 mid-ranges along with 7 tweeters placed all around the car as far as the eye can see

When it comes to the woofers used in HiFi System Professional (S677A) and the Harman Kardon (S688A), they are also dissimilar from the ones present in all of the lower systems due to their 8 Ohm nominal impedance. Such high impedance woofers require very powerful low frequency output channels, which the Top Hifi amplifier has. It’s an interesting design choice, because as a rule of thumb you need four times the power that you would to move a 2 Ohm woofer.

The Harman Kardon amplifier has 10 channels, of which 9 are used, and is connected to the head unit by a fiber optic cable that transfers audio signals digitally (considered better than an analogue signal). Again, compared to amps of other systems, this one is undoubtedly the biggest and heaviest-hitting, with plenty of power on tap. In the head unit’s menu, you’ll find its multi-band graphic equalizer, much more useful compared to the bass/treble adjustment sliders available in the lesser systems, as well as a surround sound option which you can toggle thanks to the DSP processor. With these two, it’s possible to extensively customize the sound profile inside your car to your liking.

Last edited by LuckyW; 01-23-2023 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #10
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Thank you! But still don’t know if it’s b&w or only hifi system which is better than regular one but still maybe worse than b&w?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:11 AM   #11
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If it says hifi, it is not B&W. It is base audio system for US market. If the speaker grills say B&W, maybe prrvious owner retrofitted it. If not, you may just have the grills that they added. Can you show us the photos of the listing that have the B&W so we can see if it is?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 12:44 PM   #12
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Damn it… so I was cheated.. what kind of pic you want? Of my inside car speakers? I will do it tomorrow and I will post. Because one other where it says hifi I already posted.. hard to believe in that car with interior all massage seats there is no b&w🤯
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 01:05 PM   #13
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One thing I'm sure of is that you can't replace only the b&w grilles, you would have to replace the complete side panels of all doors in the car. So from a reasonable point of view, it's just not worth it,- (800€ used) and tweeter (399€ used) per piece.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyW View Post
One thing I'm sure of is that you can't replace only the b&w grilles, you would have to replace the complete side panels of all doors in the car. So from a reasonable point of view, it's just not worth it,- (800€ used) and tweeter (399€ used) per piece.
I replaced whole car's H&K speaker covers to LED B&W covers and its pretty easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 01:22 PM   #15
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82 in QC View Post
I replaced whole car's H&K speaker covers to LED B&W covers and its pretty easy.
I didn't say it was difficult, just expensive
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #16
F82 in QC
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4,BMW 750iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyW View Post
I didn't say it was difficult, just expensive
800CAD
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 07:23 AM   #17
Rioskis
Private
Rep

So here pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #18
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The driver's side looks suspicious to me when it comes to twitter, the photo after enlargement looks like a perfidious speaker grill overlay. But if it's just a delusion then I don't want to believe someone invested money to cheat you. (take a picture of the rear shelf of the speakers in the rear pit)
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:11 PM   #19
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Today I wrote them. They couldn’t believe what I’m saying. After that I sent a picture where it’s says hifi audio system. They said we really sorry it is our mistake we can cancel a deal with a car or we can refund you 1000€. So I was looking other bmw 740Le but couldn’t find anything. So I think will stay to this one even with hifi system..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:25 PM   #20
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OMG this is absolutley unbelievable. I have no words how they could do such a scam. I am very glad that you made the matter clear and that you won such a settlement, but the disgust and disappointment will stay with you for a long time,-

*** I will give you a personal advice that if they went to such a scam then check and ask for a list history of ordered parts for this car by vin number,(such a list is free and available on customer request) ask for a parts list maybe at another dealer so they don't try to cheat you. If the parts list seems suspicious to you, check the car mileage, at a trusted mechanic.- ***

Last edited by LuckyW; 01-23-2023 at 02:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 01:39 AM   #21
edojac
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 750i & 2018 M760i

Garage List
Hi Rioskis

definitely a scam. The tell is the cover for the center dash speaker.
It should look like in the picture in this link: https://ifdesign.com/en/winner-ranki...-bmw-x5/257918

Note that:
- new this feature costs more than $5,000
- there is a substantial difference in sound quality, much more than between a Harman Kardon and a B&W set up (I have tested both)
- the sounds system (at least HK and B&W) is a differentiator when reselling the car, i.e. (at least experience in the market here in Europe) plain HiFi system specced car are more difficult to resell

If sound quality is not very important for you then it will be sufficient.
But just wanted to give you some negotiation point in case you would like to reconsider.

All the best.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2023, 01:40 AM   #22
Rioskis
Private
Rep

Previous owner changed that and they saw it is but not sure why they didn’t check that by vin. Also all the cars history I checked before I bought all good. Nothing wrong with a car no repairs. Only like oil, filter, brake fluid and so on. This car had 2 owners one in Belgium and one in Finland. So I’m 3rd owner.

So now my question is: is it possible to do a sound quality close to b&w? With aftermarket speakers? If yes what should I looking? Do you know approximately how much it would cost?
Appreciate 0