BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-24-2023, 03:15 AM   #23
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Of course it is possible and the benefit you get from reducing the price of the car you will gently add some money to it and you will definitely make yourself a very good sound system.

Search the internet for what is close to your home with possible installation or you can always order it online and one weekend you make great audio.
Appreciate 1
Rioskis14.50
      01-24-2023, 07:08 AM   #24
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks like the previous owner bought some grills and overlaid it. B&W will be seethrough so you can see it illuminate at night. Not sure if they did any upgrade behind the grills to enhance the audio. Best is to pull the center speaker to inspect.

You definitely can upgrade the system if it’s not to your liking. Bavsound, match or focal to name a few. You can install a dsp if you would like to eq it. If B&W is a must have, you can retrofit it. Considering it have hifi, you will have to add a lot more wires than HK but it’s doable. You can also add ASD along with it. It’s only a few more wires.
Appreciate 1
Rioskis14.50
      02-09-2023, 04:45 AM   #25
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rioskis View Post
Hello all. New here I’m glad I found this forum. Maybe there is also this thread not sure but maybe someone can answer a question..

So I bought bmw 740Le. On grill there is all b&w but when I check by decoder it’s written S676 sound system.. so I was cheated? Or it’s normal? I don’t have diamond I know there is a difference between those to (b&w and b&w diamond) but what is this hifi sound system?.. is that real b&w or no?

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Hi! ("moro!")

The B&W never had variants with and without lights / diamonds. Only B&W at least in 7-series is with diamonds & lights.

The 1000 euros compensation is ridiculous as the B&W is generally much more wanted ("haluttavampi") as basic HiFI or Harman & Kardonn. In Europe it was much more expensive option than US $5000. Thus making the resale value of the car higher also, and the easy of resell it. Buyers are searching 7-series in "nettiauto" just by the acclaimed audio system.

If you have something to ask (about the car, options / "varusteet", anything) just PM me! I'm a native Finn and I have similar car than yours, 740Le with B&W etc
Appreciate 1
Rioskis14.50
      02-10-2023, 02:09 AM   #26
Rioskis
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 740Le x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.gif View Post
Hi! ("moro!")

The B&W never had variants with and without lights / diamonds. Only B&W at least in 7-series is with diamonds & lights.

The 1000 euros compensation is ridiculous as the B&W is generally much more wanted ("haluttavampi") as basic HiFI or Harman & Kardonn. In Europe it was much more expensive option than US $5000. Thus making the resale value of the car higher also, and the easy of resell it. Buyers are searching 7-series in "nettiauto" just by the acclaimed audio system.

If you have something to ask (about the car, options / "varusteet", anything) just PM me! I'm a native Finn and I have similar car than yours, 740Le with B&W etc
Thank you! Well I can’t pm you don’t know why you can find me on FB as Aivaras Rioskis
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 12:02 PM   #27
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Hello, new member here.

These speaker grilles are definitely not from B&W, but look like Chinese replica covers. You can clearly see that perforations are not right and lack the nice brushed aluminium finish that genuine parts have. I guess that someone in the past have replaced them to improve the looks of the car, which is okay with me. But if one replaces such things for aesthetics, then functionality should not be compromised. From the looks of those tweeter dome covers, it looks like it could affect sound quality as perforations are very small and far apart.

Which worries me more is the dash center grille and side window defrosters that seemingly have been replaced with something completely unfunctional.

Side window defrosters are from plastic and have a specific internal structure to direct air to side windows. This replacement grille seems anything but functional and definitely wont direct airflow to anywhere meaningful. If anything, they hamper airflow in that channel. The center dash cover is also problematic, as it is nothing like a genuine design. Besides housing a midrange speaker and a tweeter, it is also a path for indirect ventilation on both outer edges - again with specific internal design to facilitate proper air distribution. It can be especially problematic if car has Ambient Air Packet (S4NM). If yes, then fragranced air is distributed exclusively from those center, indirect ventilation ducts. Having this kind of cover can, at best case, seriously affect the functionality of this system.

This is what standard and B&W center covers look like:

You can clearly see the indirect ventilation paths. These are also specifically painted in darker colors to reduce windshield glare.

This is what side window defroster covers look like. Color depends on equipment.

Hope this is of any help.

Last edited by Raimo5; 02-10-2023 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-10-2023, 12:10 PM   #28
Rioskis
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 740Le x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Hello, new member here.

These speaker grilles are definitely not from B&W, but look like Chinese replica covers. You can clearly see that perforations are not right and lack the nice brushed aluminium finish that genuine parts have. I guess that someone in the past have replaced them to improve the looks of the car, which is okay with me. But if one replaces such things for aesthetics, then functionality should not be compromised. From the looks of those tweeter dome covers, it looks like it could affect sound quality as perforations are very small and far apart.

Which worries me more is the dash center grille and side window defrosters that seemingly have been replaced with something completely unfunctional.

Side window defrosters are from plastic and have a specific internal structure to direct air to side windows. This replacement grille seems anything but functional and definitely wont direct airflow to anywhere meaningful. If anything, they hamper airflow in that channel. The center dash cover is also problematic, as it is nothing like a genuine design. Besides housing a midrange speaker and a tweeter, it is also a path for indirect ventilation on both outer edges - again with specific internal design to facilitate proper air distribution. It can be especially problematic if car has Ambient Air Packet (S4NM). If yes, then fragranced air is distributed exclusively from those center, indirect ventilation ducts. Having this kind of cover can, at best case, seriously affect the functionality of this system.

This is what standard and B&W center covers look [...]
Thank you so much!!! Yeah my car have fragrance I can press it and chose the level of it. I thought it go from regular fan.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 12:36 PM   #29
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Glad I could be of help. I will also attach document which describes functional and operational principles of Ambient Air system.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf FUB-FUB-FB-640002-K15.pdf (309.0 KB, 48 views)
Appreciate 3
Rioskis14.50
edojac10.50
      02-12-2023, 07:06 AM   #30
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Glad I could be of help. I will also attach document which describes functional and operational principles of Ambient Air system.
Thank you for this document! I've always wondered how the Ambient Air works. Manual is kind of non-specific about the technical aspect of it.
Appreciate 0