BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-03-2023, 11:29 AM   #1
Krisk101
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 series

Replacement disks for 14 month/11k milage?

Hi all

My 730d went into the dealership due to its breaks juddering. I bought the car in Dec 21 (21 plate) and it has done 11k milage. After inspection I have been quoted just under £1k for replacement disks and pads.

The dealership says there was rust on the the disks probably due the car standing unused. This is correct, as in November I was ill for 2 weeks and then on holiday for 2 weeks.

Is this normal?, should disks deteriorate so quickly. I am 60, and had many cars, volvos, Mercedes and BMW and never heard of this, in fact I think I have only had pads replaced once. My daughter's chevrolet spark has sat for several months when she was at Uni with no problems.

Anyone have experience of this.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 01:19 PM   #2
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

NO NO NO,- Unless these 11k is made at the Nürburgring
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 11:04 PM   #3
Danyal.N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 and BMW 7 Series

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i   [10.00]
That’s impossible basically, unless those 11k miles were done at a Race Track which realistically who would Track a 7 Series?
      02-05-2023, 05:45 AM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Get on the motorway and do a few hard braking if no one is behind you. It should take care of the rust
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 10:36 AM   #5
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
Get on the motorway and do a few hard braking if no one is behind you. It should take care of the rust
^ this

Work your breaks hard: high speed deep breaking, 5 or 6 times. Give them time to cool between breaking events. Be sure to not come to a complete stop so you don't create hot spots from trapped heat where the pads hold the disc. Always do a slow roll after hard breaking that requires a complete stop.

This will more than likely restore the surface in just one session. You have nothing to lose from this, if they need replacing anyways, you can't ruin them with this method - they are already ruined.

My wife tends to drag her brakes, causes them to glaze over and squeal. This requires more sessions and/or more time of abrupt breaking to remedy, but even that can usually be restored. For that I just wait longer and brake harder at every stop, and do a slow roll to avoid hot-spotting it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 01:46 AM   #6
Krisk101
Rep

Thanks everyone, I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 06:44 AM   #7
Krisk101
Rep

Problem Solved

I did as what was recommended and did a few hard braking manoeuvres (it was difficult to find a good spot) and this has almost 99% solved the problem of the juddering. If I am being super critical there's still a small 'bobble' when breaking but even this is improving with just normal driving. I probably wouldnt even notice if I hadnt had the previous problem.

So thanks to those responding you have saved me almost £1000 of unnecessary repairs!

And I wont be returning to the dealership where I was given the wrong info, at least they could have said give this a go and come back if you still have problems.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 1