BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #375
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
I don't have the training to answer your question.
Search and you will quickly find those that do have the training questioning the wisdom of what was done.
The Innocent UPS driver held against his will the police were protecting and another innocent man were killed in the gun battle that ensued when police decided to force a gun battle in a crowded intersection.

13 officers who had no clear line of fire opened fire on the UPS truck. No police officers were harmed

I'm just asking if in a better scenario could the UPS not have been disabled given the pursuit was already 20 miles long or something other than what happened.

dont think you need training to answer the question. You need rationale. These morons were shooting prior to the UPS truck getting caught up in the traffic jam (surrounded by more innocent people) so when they got stuck they continued shooting, what did you expect the officers to do? stand there? if your answer is yes, then this conversation should cease here, becuase you're bordering on mental retardation.

That entire situation was horrible, in every regard. I'm saddened and angry, that those two innocent men died. And as bad as it is to say this, i don;t think there was any other way to end this thing. I did think about maybe the cops fishtailing the truck on the 75, but it would've flipped and the UPS man would've still died. Then guess what, it's still the cops fault...

Awful, awful situation. RIP to those two men.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24809.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #376
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Ever have to arrest somebody in a Santa Suit?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #377
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post

I arrested a guy who believed he was Jesus and had the suit on too.....Jesus can fight.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Maynard3804.50
Rmtt8206.00
MKSixer34171.50
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-12-2019, 11:38 PM   #378
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Not yet! Ask me again on 1/1/20.
Appreciate 3
Maynard3804.50
Salty Dog3572.50
MKSixer34171.50
      12-13-2019, 02:47 AM   #379
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
I arrested a guy who believed he was Jesus and had the suit on too.....Jesus can fight.
LOL....I see that during the spring around here all the time. I was driving back from the gym one evening and seen a line of them being marched out of a Frat house which was down the street.

I guess a Toga party got too wild! They aren't typically arrested, but are given a little scare.
      12-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #380
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
LOL....I see that during the spring around here all the time. I was driving back from the gym one evening and seen a line of them being marched out of a Frat house which was down the street.

I guess a Toga party got too wild! They aren't typically arrested, but are given a little scare.
Jesus was off his meds......
Appreciate 3
MKSixer34171.50
Rmtt8206.00
      12-13-2019, 08:30 AM   #381
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
During a routine traffic stop/pull over, has a driver/passenger ever replied to you by saying ‘yeah sure’ instead of ‘yes sir’?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 08:59 AM   #382
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

What factors make you decide whether to give a warning versus a ticket? Clean record? Cooperativeness? Sick ass modified M car??
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
      12-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #383
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
During a routine traffic stop/pull over, has a driver/passenger ever replied to you by saying 'yeah sure' instead of 'yes sir'?
Yes! Cavalier attitudes are served cold on a daily basis.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #384
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M4N71U View Post
What factors make you decide whether to give a warning versus a ticket? Clean record? Cooperativeness? Sick ass modified M car??
All of the above! Plus sometimes I just feel bad about giving a ticket, towing a car, etc. More people are let go than there are people who are cited. Tuesday night an elder woman hit an "Insanos" motorcycle club biker, and I felt sorry for her too as me and my partner assisted another unit. She was such a sweet lady; shaken up for sure.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #385
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
All of the above! Plus sometimes I just feel bad about giving a ticket, towing a car, etc. More people are let go than there are people who are cited. Tuesday night an elder woman hit an "Insanos" motorcycle club biker, and I felt sorry for her too as me and my partner assisted another unit. She was such a sweet lady; shaken up for sure.
I worked with some coppers that made their mind up before they initiated the traffic stop, I usually spoke to the driver before I decided. I always felt that a warning went as far as a summons. A couple of hundred dollar fine might be the grocery money for a couple of weeks and might punish the kids at home as much as the driver.....and the warning often went a long way to building a positive image of the police. Having said that, there were some folks that got the coupon because they had it coming. But I was always more about arresting criminals than punishing the regular joe who was just trying to get by. i was never a traffic man. We had a saying for those guys.

Last edited by Salty Dog; 12-13-2019 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      12-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #386
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I worked with some coppers that made their mind up before they initiated the traffic stop, I usually spoke to the driver before I decided. I always felt that a warning went as far as a summons. A couple of hundred dollar fine might be the grocery money for a couple of weeks and might punish the kids at home as much as the driver.....and the warning often went a long way to building a positive image of the police. Having said that, there were some folks that got the coupon because they had it coming. But I was always more about arresting criminals than punishing the regular joe who was just trying to get by. i was never a traffic man. We had a saying for those guys.
Wish there were more like you. The general public appreciates LEOs like you.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24809.50
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #387
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

So I'm watching live PD and they're pursuing this guy and they have the flashing blue lights inside the Patrol car. Do those flashing lights ever impede your vision? Especially at night?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #388
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
So I'm watching live PD and they're pursuing this guy and they have the flashing blue lights inside the Patrol car. Do those flashing lights ever impede your vision? Especially at night?
If they are installed properly they shouldn't, but you can get some blow back on the windshield.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      12-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #389
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
If they are installed properly they shouldn't, but you can get some blow back on the windshield.
Agreed! I'm glad our patrol vehicles don't have lights on the inside.
Appreciate 2
Salty Dog3572.50
MKSixer34171.50
      12-24-2019, 07:30 PM   #390
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Speaking of Live PD, have you ever been asked to participate in those shows, COPS, etc...? If not, would you be willing to have a crew follow you around?

Your thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #391
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of Live PD, have you ever been asked to participate in those shows, COPS, etc...? If not, would you be willing to have a crew follow you around?

Your thoughts....
I haven't, but a few of my friends from other departments have (...and one even ended up on WorldstarHipHop.com; all bad). I don't know that I would want crews following me around all day despite the admitted lure of potential celebrity fame. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #392
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
dont think you need training to answer the question. You need rationale. These morons were shooting prior to the UPS truck getting caught up in the traffic jam (surrounded by more innocent people) so when they got stuck they continued shooting, what did you expect the officers to do? stand there? if your answer is yes, then this conversation should cease here, becuase you're bordering on mental retardation.

That entire situation was horrible, in every regard. I'm saddened and angry, that those two innocent men died. And as bad as it is to say this, i don;t think there was any other way to end this thing. I did think about maybe the cops fishtailing the truck on the 75, but it would've flipped and the UPS man would've still died. Then guess what, it's still the cops fault...

I dare you to knock on the door of those 2 innocent people and tell them what you posted. They will spit on you - rightfully so, you righteous bas****.
Put the shoe on your foot. See how it fits.
Don't expect I will read your reply - I said my mind and you won't change it.
Merry Christmas to you all - oh yeah wait - they're still dead
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #393
ScottyRyan2019
Licensed Professional Slacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 and 2023 Mazda CX-30

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [10.00]
2024 BMW M2  [9.50]
That chase and shootout was a complete shit sandwich that is for sure. Extremely high stress and fluid at all times. One thing we can say is we know the end result based on all the steps taken by both sides that preceded it.

One thing we cannot do is predict a hypothetical future. In other words, we do not know for certain what would have happened had someone chosen to do B instead of A. This goes for both the dipshits and law enforcement. There is always something that could have been done differently. What the outcome of that is we do not know (it could have changed the outcome for the better, or for the worse).

This did end terribly. I don't think a single one of those cops WANTED to shoot anyone. I don't think a single one of those cops WANTED that outcome. Every single one of them, including supervisors likely not directly involved, but managing the incident as it unfolded, will have to live with the outcome, especially the death of two innocent people. That will weigh heavily on them, even if the subsequent investigation clears them of all criminal wrong doing. There still will be civil litigation that will likely go on for years.

There will be a tremendous amount of Monday morning quarterbacking of this (just like we are doing now), but that is just natural and like with everything in life, people can learn from this if they want to.
Salty Dog3572.50
      12-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #394
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post

I dare you to knock on the door of those 2 innocent people and tell them what you posted. They will spit on you - rightfully so, you righteous bas****.
Put the shoe on your foot. See how it fits.
Don't expect I will read your reply - I said my mind and you won't change it.
Merry Christmas to you all - oh yeah wait - they're still dead
You can add to these discussions in a civil manner without name-calling.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #395
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:

Your thoughts....
I got pulled over once and there happened to be a video crew for "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol" with the LEO. I didn't get a ticket and my segment never made it on TV. It was pretty fun getting interrogated with the camera guy in my face.
upstatedoc7555.50
F30lolz6798.50
      12-26-2019, 08:18 AM   #396
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocL View Post
I got pulled over once and there happened to be a video crew for "Real Stories of the Highway Patrol" with the LEO. I didn't get a ticket and my segment never made it on TV. It was pretty fun getting interrogated with the camera guy in my face.
Old school! that show ran in the 90's
Appreciate 1
DocL1922.50