BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
goncaloproenca
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740D

Steering noise / Rough Suspension ?

Hi there,

I have a 740D F01, 2011 and I think I have two problems ( or just going mad ) :

1 - front left ( driver ) tire sometimes seems that its regenerative braking ( like in a Prius ) under decelerating, harder than the others. car doesn't judder or anything, it seems there is some friction there

2 - when almost at a standstill, the steering wheel seems to go bezerk - tiny micro left-right-left-right-left-right on its own - you cannot see it ( really tiny adjustments ) but you can def feel it

3 - steering wheel was never ... how do I say, smooth - seems that I was driving a rough surface all the time and it seems that it came from the front wheels.

So I took the 4 wheels out for balancing, one as cracked and two had a bump, got all of them repaired, rebalanced, steering aligned and ditched the run flats for Michelin Pilots.

Car drives much better but :

1 - the micro self adjusting still does it

2 - when turning hard, seems a shimmer or slight vibration on the steering wheel and when decelerating - not under acceleration or coasting, just seems something is off / shimming / light braking when you take the foot of the pedal.

Any ideias ?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:16 AM   #2
DJA_40
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d (F01)

Not exactly like yours as i have a pre-LCI 730d but i'm certain my suspension arm bushes need changing as the car fee;s as though it's wandering a lot.

I don't have re-gen breaking but i do have lane departure that buzzes if you don't indicate while changing lanes, does your have this and maybe related?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
rallyart_AE
Registered
Rep
Drives: F02 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by goncaloproenca View Post
Hi there,

2 - when almost at a standstill, the steering wheel seems to go bezerk - tiny micro left-right-left-right-left-right on its own - you cannot see it ( really tiny adjustments ) but you can def feel it
It must be due to an error in the power steering box. Under warranty they replace the whole mechanism, but the problem used to reappear and they would replace it again! Seems it is now fixed, with hardware and/or software update.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
hunterp27
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpina B7 LWB

I had very similar symptoms but I could also hear my power steering pump whining. Replaced the pump (not cheap $2200 bucks) and everything is back to normal
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #5
goncaloproenca
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterp27 View Post
I had very similar symptoms but I could also hear my power steering pump whining. Replaced the pump (not cheap $2200 bucks) and everything is back to normal
Yup, in the end , after two times replaced ( perhaps the first one was a refurb ? ) that solved the issue on mine as well
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
LV010
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i F01

Mine in the shop for similar issues. I am having power steering pump & front stabiliser bushings done. Hope it will resolve my drivetrain problems
Appreciate 0