BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2022, 02:16 PM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
8767
Rep
7,510
Posts

Drives: F06 LCI 640i SE
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leicestershire, UK

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Is The 7 SERIES BMW's Saving Grace? Thoughts from Frank Stephenson

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Frank Stephenson shares his thoughts on the 7er.

__________________


Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 3
      05-13-2022, 03:33 PM   #2
ewoody
Private
ewoody's Avatar
Switzerland
56
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: BMW 745Le xDrive/MB S500L
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Switzerland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Not perfect... but not so bad!

I like it!
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
Germanauto
Major General
Germanauto's Avatar
United_States
8514
Rep
5,620
Posts

Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: LA

iTrader: (0)

Good analysis. I think I'm warming up to the design in areas. I'll never come around on the headlight situation, and overall how chunky the car looks, but unlike some other efforts recently I do see a lot of proper BMW lines and characteristics in this car.

Interior has been a 10/10 since day one for me. Just blows everything on the market out of the water.

Overall this is a strong effort and proper step forward for BMW. The past two generations of 7-series have been too conservative/predictable in my opinion. The G11's interior was especially underwhelming and "safe" from day one. This car actually feels a bit revolutionary inside and out.
__________________
Former
-2008 E90 328 black/brown
-2012 Lexus IS250 black/black
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2022, 07:48 AM   #4
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
39
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 E66 E39 E46, RR P38
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
Turkish Pickle
Pressing Pickle
Turkish Pickle's Avatar
United_States
2924
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: '21 330i xDrive
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Not sure who this guy is and I haven't watched the video yet, but I like the looks of this car.

It has the presence the F01 had but the G11s lacked, and I'm glad it's a bit chunky, looks more luxury oriented than most anything else this side of $150k

Also the monolithic design language suits a car of this class so well. I'm glad theyre going with new design languages for their smaller cars and trying new things out; HUGE turnaround from the ugly F30/F10/F01 days where everything looked too alike. This isn't Audi/Mercedes!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
In fact, I was young, dumb and full of cum but emptied quite often.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #6
Game
Major General
Game's Avatar
3490
Rep
8,425
Posts

Drives: Audi S5 (Sold) BMW 335i (Sold)
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago'ish

iTrader: (24)

I think this car needs to be black to work.
__________________


Available modifiables: M4 CV, X5 M, M5
Available in Production: M4 Comp xDrive BSM/BLK
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
playswcars
G80 Convert
playswcars's Avatar
Switzerland
1496
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Competition xDrive
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Zurich

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Blacked out, I think it looks gangster af.
__________________
Current: 2021 M3 Competition | RWD | Alpinweiss III | Leather Merino Black |
On Order: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive | LCI | Individual Velvet Blue 379 | Individual Full Leather Merino Tartufo |
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #8
AHall
Major
624
Rep
1,258
Posts

Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frisco, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I will definitely go take a look at one when they arrive at the dealership. I think it will be a hit though. I hope the front has a massive feel when viewed in real life. Hard for me to tell in the videos and pictures.

I do think the darker colors look better, but again will have to see in real life. I will add I also prefer the competition's cars in darker paints.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #9
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
1632
Rep
2,531
Posts

Drives: F30 335 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Ultimately these are cars I don't own and never wish to own. It doesn't excite me to see my favorite brands design language go to complete comedy but it is what it is. The difference between this new design language and bengals back in the day was that this is just redesign for the sake of doing it. There's no forward flow that reflects the past cars.

There is no longer range cohesiveness. The 3 doesn't look like the 5 like the 7 etc. which cheapens the brand a lot. The F30/F10/F01 for example is exactly what I'm talking about. They all look like bmws. And the higher range cars look like more premium versions of the other.

I say a lot on these forums and owners of cars like the G8X get annoyed at me because it rubs them the wrong way that I don't like a car they spent 80k on but I can assure you as someone in many different car communities online and in the real world, most people do not take to these new designs well at all. The current gen 4 and M3/4 which have been around for a while now are still negatively looked at. The best comments I see are "it looks ok in black." Well You should have to get a car in black with black accents to just hide the design language entirely to make it "ok" to look at. The non m sport versions of these cars are especially hideous and there's subtle things about the new 7 that are just pointless in design. It's not even the grille either because for the record, I didn't mind the facelifted G11 grille. Because the rest of the car actually looked like the car it replaced.

TL;DR- new bmws are insanely impressive on the road as drivers cars but horrible to look at.

End rant
Appreciate 12
      05-24-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
39
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 E66 E39 E46, RR P38
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
Not sure who this guy is and I haven't watched the video yet, but I like the looks of this car.
Well respected car designer - of the original X5 and other cars.

Launched in South Korea, looking good.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:15 PM   #11
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
21785
Rep
8,255
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes/Mazda
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
While I do agree with him that this is BMW's most cohesive effort at a car design lately, I still think the front end just doesn't match the overall design as the side and rear are very understated and decluttered compared to the bold and brash front end.
__________________
Current Garage: 2022 Mercedes-Benz S 580 / 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 / 2005 BMW X3 3.0i / 1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Retired: '95 E36 325i 5MT / '04 E46 330i 6MT / '11 E90 335xi / '17 G30 540i / '19 F87 M2C 6MT / '19 MB CLS 53 / '20 MB GLC 300
Appreciate 5
otay813.00
Teutonic2036.00
      05-24-2022, 02:58 PM   #12
NewQ
Private
60
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: 750i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Ultimately these are cars I don't own and never wish to own. It doesn't excite me to see my favorite brands design language go to complete comedy but it is what it is. The difference between this new design language and bengals back in the day was that this is just redesign for the sake of doing it. There's no forward flow that reflects the past cars.

There is no longer range cohesiveness. The 3 doesn't look like the 5 like the 7 etc. which cheapens the brand a lot. The F30/F10/F01 for example is exactly what I'm talking about. They all look like bmws. And the higher range cars look like more premium versions of the other.

I say a lot on these forums and owners of cars like the G8X get annoyed at me because it rubs them the wrong way that I don't like a car they spent 80k on but I can assure you as someone in many different car communities online and in the real world, most people do not take to these new designs well at all. The current gen 4 and M3/4 which have been around for a while now are still negatively looked at. The best comments I see are "it looks ok in black." Well You should have to get a car in black with black accents to just hide the design language entirely to make it "ok" to look at. The non m sport versions of these cars are especially hideous and there's subtle things about the new 7 that are just pointless in design. It's not even the grille either because for the record, I didn't mind the facelifted G11 grille. Because the rest of the car actually looked like the car it replaced.

TL;DR- new bmws are insanely impressive on the road as drivers cars but horrible to look at.

End rant
I think the M3/4/M4 are getting more normalized. I keep hearing anecdotally that people are getting used to it.

There's definitely going to be some backlash whenever a new design comes out, that's almost a given.

I don't know why you would want a 7-Series to look like a 3-Series. Brand cohesiveness is one thing, but outright confusion is another. I get the previous generation C/E/S-Class confused regularly.

I think BMW is doing the right thing by having it's ultra-luxury and more-sporty models have a different look. If a person wanted a blend-in "normal" looking car, they'd get a 3 or a 5 (or an Audi A8!). If you get a 7 or a 4, you're probably looking for something different, so BMW's designs reflect that.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan20219.00
Swappy488.50
      05-24-2022, 03:34 PM   #13
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
39
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 E66 E39 E46, RR P38
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

iTrader: (0)

That's exactly their reasoning - according to their research 2/3 of BMW customers want the "normal" looking cars, so they cater them with the 3 and 5, X3, X5, X7. The 1/3 wants something more daring, that's where the vertical and large snouts some in.
Appreciate 1
PNWM3278.50
      05-24-2022, 03:42 PM   #14
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
yousefnjr's Avatar
3745
Rep
2,820
Posts

Drives: Ď06 Z4MR, Ď20 X7, Ď22 M4x
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Ultimately these are cars I don't own and never wish to own. It doesn't excite me to see my favorite brands design language go to complete comedy but it is what it is. The difference between this new design language and bengals back in the day was that this is just redesign for the sake of doing it. There's no forward flow that reflects the past cars.

There is no longer range cohesiveness. The 3 doesn't look like the 5 like the 7 etc. which cheapens the brand a lot. The F30/F10/F01 for example is exactly what I'm talking about. They all look like bmws. And the higher range cars look like more premium versions of the other.

I say a lot on these forums and owners of cars like the G8X get annoyed at me because it rubs them the wrong way that I don't like a car they spent 80k on but I can assure you as someone in many different car communities online and in the real world, most people do not take to these new designs well at all. The current gen 4 and M3/4 which have been around for a while now are still negatively looked at. The best comments I see are "it looks ok in black." Well You should have to get a car in black with black accents to just hide the design language entirely to make it "ok" to look at. The non m sport versions of these cars are especially hideous and there's subtle things about the new 7 that are just pointless in design. It's not even the grille either because for the record, I didn't mind the facelifted G11 grille. Because the rest of the car actually looked like the car it replaced.

TL;DR- new bmws are insanely impressive on the road as drivers cars but horrible to look at.

End rant
I dunno, current 3 and 5 look pretty similar I think, especially the 3 LCI.

I get there are people who appreciate more conservative designs but Iím glad they continue to take risks and try new things. Iíve said many times that the ugly BMWs are my favorites. We currently have an i3s, Z4M, X7, and G82. Theyíre all strange in so many great ways imo. To have that sort individual personality while still driving like a BMW is a lot of fun to me. In any case, there is a rich history of odd looking BMWs, so they havenít really changed tbh
__________________
sheís home! '22 M4 Comp xDrive
Appreciate 2
jmack123768.50
sahajesh1919.00
      05-24-2022, 07:22 PM   #15
Sublime00
Captain
1035
Rep
672
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ny

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 1
Teutonic2036.00
      05-24-2022, 07:53 PM   #16
wesleyan92
Captain
wesleyan92's Avatar
647
Rep
677
Posts

Drives: 2021 M5 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
I will definitely go take a look at one when they arrive at the dealership. I think it will be a hit though. I hope the front has a massive feel when viewed in real life. Hard for me to tell in the videos and pictures.

I do think the darker colors look better, but again will have to see in real life. I will add I also prefer the competition's cars in darker paints.
I agree that it looks sick in black with the M package.

My perfect plan, as long as the world doesn't blow up, is in 2 years I buy out my F90 lease (to preserve her long term) and lease the 760i in all black with all the bells and whistles.
__________________
2021 M5 Carbon Black/Midrand beige || 2021 X7 40i Amertin metallic with Ivory white merino
2019 M5 F90 || 2018 X5 s35i || 2017 M5 F10 with Arkapovic Exhaust || 2016 535 || 2012 535 hated it after the E60 || 2010 535 E60 - my fav || 2008 528 E60 my first
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 08:00 PM   #17
OSee
Captain
905
Rep
758
Posts

Drives: M2 Sold
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Laguna Beach, CA

iTrader: (0)

Iím a big Frank fan and mostly agree with him here. I think the X7 wears this face a lot better than the 7 does. And it only really works in either a really dark color or a super high contrast color combination (white/black).

For those who still wonít shut up about the G8x. It doesnít matter if your sisters friend cousins brother thinks itís ugly. And You think itís ugly. And your grandma and her retirement home friends think itís ugly. Apparently they were never BMW buyers because the G8X is the best selling //M of all time. And thatís record breaking units delivered to customers. Yes, individual units (not total dollar count for haters pointing to COVID markup). Thatís in spite of supply shortages and price markups. At this point in the F80 life cycle I got an offer for 14% off MSRP. Others were getting more.

The bean counters at BMW know whatís up. The executives are chalking it up as validation of the designers work. In the end BMW is out to make money with controversial conversation generating designs, not to satisfy your longing for new e30.
Appreciate 3
sahajesh1919.00
      05-25-2022, 02:57 AM   #18
wesleyan92
Captain
wesleyan92's Avatar
647
Rep
677
Posts

Drives: 2021 M5 Comp
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2021 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
I’m a big Frank fan and mostly agree with him here. I think the X7 wears this face a lot better than the 7 does. And it only really works in either a really dark color or a super high contrast color combination (white/black).

For those who still won’t shut up about the G8x. It doesn’t matter if your sisters friend cousins brother thinks it’s ugly. And You think it’s ugly. And your grandma and her retirement home friends think it’s ugly. Apparently they were never BMW buyers because the G8X is the best selling //M of all time. And that’s record breaking units delivered to customers. Yes, individual units (not total dollar count for haters pointing to COVID markup). That’s in spite of supply shortages and price markups. At this point in the F80 life cycle I got an offer for 14% off MSRP. Others were getting more.

The bean counters at BMW know what’s up. The executives are chalking it up as validation of the designers work. In the end BMW is out to make money with controversial conversation generating designs, not to satisfy your longing for new e30.
I want to believe you. What is your source that shows the G8x record breaking unit sales?
__________________
2021 M5 Carbon Black/Midrand beige || 2021 X7 40i Amertin metallic with Ivory white merino
2019 M5 F90 || 2018 X5 s35i || 2017 M5 F10 with Arkapovic Exhaust || 2016 535 || 2012 535 hated it after the E60 || 2010 535 E60 - my fav || 2008 528 E60 my first
Appreciate 1
Swappy488.50
      05-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #19
Ugly Kar
Private First Class
165
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Iím a big Frank fan and mostly agree with him here. I think the X7 wears this face a lot better than the 7 does. And it only really works in either a really dark color or a super high contrast color combination (white/black).

For those who still wonít shut up about the G8x. It doesnít matter if your sisters friend cousins brother thinks itís ugly. And You think itís ugly. And your grandma and her retirement home friends think itís ugly. Apparently they were never BMW buyers because the G8X is the best selling //M of all time. And thatís record breaking units delivered to customers. Yes, individual units (not total dollar count for haters pointing to COVID markup). Thatís in spite of supply shortages and price markups. At this point in the F80 life cycle I got an offer for 14% off MSRP. Others were getting more.

The bean counters at BMW know whatís up. The executives are chalking it up as validation of the designers work. In the end BMW is out to make money with controversial conversation generating designs, not to satisfy your longing for new e30.
That is a fallacy of false analogy. First of all, 5 years ago all cars had huge discounts, some as high as 20%. In the current market, BMW is actually 1 of very few giving a discount. Most cars currently have a huge mark-up. Even KIA's a going for $5-$10k over MSRP. If you think differently you haven't been shopping.

Finally, the bean counters don't know a damn thing about marketing. With a nice looking grill instead of that pig faced snout the G8x would've broken all records a long time ago and there would be $10-$20k markups on it.
Appreciate 2
Teutonic2036.00
Swappy488.50
      05-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #20
Ugly Kar
Private First Class
165
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E66er View Post
That's exactly their reasoning - according to their research 2/3 of BMW customers want the "normal" looking cars, so they cater them with the 3 and 5, X3, X5, X7. The 1/3 wants something more daring, that's where the vertical and large snouts some in.
Why does daring have to be synonymous with fugly as ??

Ferrari and a few others seem to be able to make a daring design beautiful car. Why can't BMW??
Appreciate 2
HotRodM4155.50
Swappy488.50
      05-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #21
khearon23
Private
khearon23's Avatar
United_States
63
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW 540i, 2022 GR Supra
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Ultimately these are cars I don't own and never wish to own. It doesn't excite me to see my favorite brands design language go to complete comedy but it is what it is. The difference between this new design language and bengals back in the day was that this is just redesign for the sake of doing it. There's no forward flow that reflects the past cars.

There is no longer range cohesiveness. The 3 doesn't look like the 5 like the 7 etc. which cheapens the brand a lot. The F30/F10/F01 for example is exactly what I'm talking about. They all look like bmws. And the higher range cars look like more premium versions of the other.

I say a lot on these forums and owners of cars like the G8X get annoyed at me because it rubs them the wrong way that I don't like a car they spent 80k on but I can assure you as someone in many different car communities online and in the real world, most people do not take to these new designs well at all. The current gen 4 and M3/4 which have been around for a while now are still negatively looked at. The best comments I see are "it looks ok in black." Well You should have to get a car in black with black accents to just hide the design language entirely to make it "ok" to look at. The non m sport versions of these cars are especially hideous and there's subtle things about the new 7 that are just pointless in design. It's not even the grille either because for the record, I didn't mind the facelifted G11 grille. Because the rest of the car actually looked like the car it replaced.

TL;DR- new bmws are insanely impressive on the road as drivers cars but horrible to look at.

End rant
I'm not a person who has a long history with BMW cars of the past, so my opinion may be different than most in the forum.

But, this is exactly why I purchased my M440i. I'm really glad it looks like nothing else in the BMW lineup. IMHO, any brand is watered down or "cheapened" when the models look like stretched variants if one another. It just screams, no creativity allowed.

When I stop and think about it, the only time I've ever heard anything negative about the design of the 440 was on this forum or from some "journalist" who simply repeats what the last one said. Everyone I encounter in person, wants a photo, a bit of conversation and want to know how much it costs.

I can't say that I would change a thing about my M440…..well, maybe add a manual option, but that doesn't make a break a deal for me. If that changes, I'll sell it and grab a 2023 Supra now that they've finally made it an option.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:59 AM   #22
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
39
Rep
85
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 E66 E39 E46, RR P38
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
Why does daring have to be synonymous with fugly as ??
It's ugly according to YOU. To others, maybe yes maybe no. We'll see the sales numbers.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST