BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-03-2022, 12:15 PM   #1
Macg
Alex
Rep
Drives: BMW 740Li

F02 740Li White smoke from exhaust

Hi,
I have a 2009 740Li (F02 with the N55 engine)

To keep it short..

I have white/blue exhaust smoke on idle and when slowing down (below say 20 mph). It's as if it's burning oil or running rich and it smells like normal exhaust smoke. It's noticeable enough for people to point at my car as I'm driving through town. Highly embarrassing. Smoke comes on as if I flip a switch- first nothing, and then heaps.

I just bought the car and knew about this problem when I bought it. Drove it 7hrs home- no stutter or hesitation, pulls good, surprisingly good MPG.

Had not been taken care of- oil and filters were terrible and I fixed that right away. The car ran smoother but smoke remained albeit a little better.

Handed it into BMW as I know people there and they are close by. They discovered the coils were completely wrong (only 3 were the same make and model?!) and changed them for me. Engine ran even better. Smoke still remained.
They also discovered the fuel injector on cylinder 2 is leaking and quoted me $5000 to replace all six. I said no way, that's like half the car's value.

Also- it has a slight but noticeable rattle from the turbo. If i rev it, it rattles as the RPM is coming back down to idle- when the pressure is released.

Am I right in thinking that.. leaking injector—>engine runs rich—>causes damage to turbo—> oil leaks into turbo—> smoke ?

OR

CCV system?

Also, can I replace just one fuel injector if I code that injector's resistance etc into the computer?

Car doesn't need to run perfectly, just needs to get by. From now on it will be running with the best oils and Shell V-power until death. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

All thoughts much appreciated!
Alex
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 03:50 PM   #2
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Seven has always been an expensive car to maintain and just because you buy an older model doesn't mean you'll have cheaper repairs, problems will keep coming and coming until they finally "kill you." (in the end, you will hate this car and get rid of it as soon as possible, that's what my very good friend did)

Anyway, I hope you will have some fun with your car.

As a consolation, I will only tell you that I am currently driving the 740d - 2017 version of the G11, as soon as I notice that the car turned against me and will try to "kill me" with its repair service, it will definitely have a new owner

Last edited by LuckyW; 08-03-2022 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0