BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-19-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Squeaking Brakes

Deos BMW cover squeaking brakes under the original four year warranty? When the car gets cold I'm hearing loud squeaking noise from the front breaks. Once I drive for a bit it goes away. I've only had the car for less than six months. It's 2016 750ix. Thanks

Last edited by Moopai; 11-19-2019 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Does anyone have information regarding the below question? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Deos BMW cover squeaking brakes under the original four year warranty? When the car gets cold I'm hearing loud squeaking noise from the front breaks. Once I drive for a bit it goes away. I've only had the car for less than six months. It's 2016 750ix. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone have information regarding the below question? Thanks
Unless there is a mechanical problem, you are going to have a really hard time getting this fixed under warranty. The other reason it will be hard to fix is .... because it is hard to fix. Google "squeaky brakes" and you will see. That does not mean you shouldn't try; it is possible there is defect in your pads or calipers. But I suspect the dealer will tell you to brake hard a few times to get off oxidation on the pads or calipers and send you away.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for your response! I'm going to book the car next week for a service appointment and see what we can do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Unless there is a mechanical problem, you are going to have a really hard time getting this fixed under warranty. The other reason it will be hard to fix is .... because it is hard to fix. Google "squeaky brakes" and you will see. That does not mean you shouldn't try; it is possible there is defect in your pads or calipers. But I suspect the dealer will tell you to brake hard a few times to get off oxidation on the pads or calipers and send you away.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

U might have a shot because for some reason Bmw rotors seem to get oxidation badly and quickly I had a similar issue with mine and they replaced them and they were like we noticed some pulsating which I didn't even feel so we will go ahead and change the back as well I was shocked brakes and rotors all the way around !!!! So take a shot u never know !!!
      11-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #6
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks, I will book it for next week and see what happens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post
U might have a shot because for some reason Bmw rotors seem to get oxidation badly and quickly I had a similar issue with mine and they replaced them and they were like we noticed some pulsating which I didn't even feel so we will go ahead and change the back as well I was shocked brakes and rotors all the way around !!!! So take a shot u never know !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hope you managed to get this sorted but another point to consider is that there is a heat shield usually behind the brakes that when cold can be physically closer to the disc and therefore squeal a bit which when warm moves just far enough away to not do so...maybe that is the cause of the noise? (I had this for a while in mine but only when I was reversing and turning the wheel)

Safe travels.
      12-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks for checking in. Dealer tells me this normal with all BMWs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Hope you managed to get this sorted but another point to consider is that there is a heat shield usually behind the brakes that when cold can be physically closer to the disc and therefore squeal a bit which when warm moves just far enough away to not do so...maybe that is the cause of the noise? (I had this for a while in mine but only when I was reversing and turning the wheel)

Safe travels.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #9
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Yes, it is normal with BMWs. My dealer usually cleans my brakes when the squeaking gets bad. They have also replaced brake pads and rotors for me at no cost multiple times to get rid of squeaks.
      12-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

No mention for me to replace the pads. At the moment they are not too bad. I get the squeak here and there for a couple seconds and then it disappears. I’m really surprised that this car have a squeaky breaks. This is my fourth BMW and it’s the first one to squeak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
Yes, it is normal with BMWs. My dealer usually cleans my brakes when the squeaking gets bad. They have also replaced brake pads and rotors for me at no cost multiple times to get rid of squeaks.

Last edited by Moopai; 12-13-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
No mention for me to replace the pads. At the moment they are too bad. I get the squeak here and there for a couple seconds and then it disappears. I’m really surprised that this car have a squeaky breaks. This is my fourth BMW and it’s the first one to squeak!
Maybe it is because it is your first with breaks. The others had brakes.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
No mention for me to replace the pads. At the moment they are too bad. I get the squeak here and there for a couple seconds and then it disappears. I’m really surprised that this car have a squeaky breaks. This is my fourth BMW and it’s the first one to squeak!
From 2011-present, I've owned several M and non-M cars. Either models had squeaky brakes. Now, my Alpina on the other hand has not squeaked and I'm at 20k miles.