BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
Max1234
Rep
Drives: None yet

UK to Europe - Headlights, Driving Assist

Hello,
I'm planning to buy a 2017/18 G11 soon (just waiting for the right spec to come on the market).
I will be driving it from the UK to mainland Europe regularly. Just got a few questions and hope some of you might have experience with this

1) Do the headlights automatically adapt?
2) Do the driving assistants work while driving on the „wrong side of the road"? Do I need to change any settings?

Thanks all,
Max
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
SteveB730
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 730D

I have the laser lights and I can adjust the beam direction in the idrive, can't remember exact setting but I think it relates to what side of the road you are driving. Presumably this would be the same for the adaptive lights, not sure on the standard headlights though.

I'd assume the driving aids would automatically adapt as well being such a technological powerhouse but haven't tried them abroad. Of course when you change to KM/H the speedo changes too which is cool.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

I’ve got the laserlights and you can set them for driving on the other side of the road, same with the Adaptive LEDs I had in my 535d so you should be OK
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

Yes I’ve seen this option in the idrive so it defo exists
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:05 AM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1234 View Post
Hello,
I'm planning to buy a 2017/18 G11 soon (just waiting for the right spec to come on the market).
I will be driving it from the UK to mainland Europe regularly. Just got a few questions and hope some of you might have experience with this

2) Do the driving assistants work while driving on the „wrong side of the road"? Do I need to change any settings?

Thanks all,
Max
1) No, but you can adjust them easily via the iDrive as others have mentioned (at least with the adaptive lights or laser lights if they are included in your spec). From the user manual (see image attached).

2) Yes, the lane assist and adaptive cruise will work regardless of what lane you are in (or which side of the road you are on).

Might be worth looking into what other items you may need with you or in the car if you drive on the continent. From the UK this would be a good place to check: https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad

Hope this helps, good luck with the car search, with a bit of patience you'll find a good spec.
Attached Images

06-18-2020, 04:10 AM   #6
Max1234
Rep
Drives: None yet

Great, that's all the info I needed.
Thanks everyone 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #7
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max1234 View Post
Hello,

Thanks all,
Max
1. Not automatically. Settings in iDrive
2. Yes.

Add on> make sure you have latest Map updates as some roads do change. To avoid further discussions with local police you may want to get a Green card from your insurer. Aviva gave me one valid for 1 year. And all the Safety kit needed : hi vis, triangle, 1st aid kit etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:18 AM   #8
Wing Co
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i & 911 GTS

I live in NL and have UK 8 series with laser lights and I had a X6 with LED adaptive. The problem with the effectiveness of both of these headlights in UK and Europe is that regardless of the time of day there is so much traffic on the road that they are never fully used. As long as you do what has been said above there are no issues. However, engage the automatic adaptive feature and occasionally I also found in the X6 and 8 that on the autobahn they don't seem to want to adjust and so you would get flashed from the opposite lane.
Appreciate 0