BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #89
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
You must work for brighthouse. I've never heard anyone go back to cable after learning about streaming. Cable will be dead in a few years. Poor service, high prices, outdated technology

I am someone who dropped cable about 4 years ago and ended up going back to it after 2 years. Believe me, cutting the cord and going all in on streaming is not ideal for every situation. Let me explain what I went through.

First off, I was already a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriber before I cut out cable TV, so my viewing habits were a mix of cable and streaming. Once my "double-play" service from Comcast reached $175/month, decided something must be done. My service was only for internet and expanded cable TV with HD and DVR. This did not include any movie channels and I also owned my own cable modem, so I did not pay a fee to rent one from Comcast. I called Comcast to see if there were any discounts or to negotiate a new rate, but they weren't having it. At that point I canceled my TV service with them and kept internet only which dropped my bill to about $65/month. My only other option for internet around here was DSL, which was much slower at the time, so that really wasn't any option.

Now down to only streaming with Netflix and Amazon, I decided to get an HD antenna in order to view my local channels and see some of the shows I like. After being spoiled by a DVR, I wasn't going back to watching shows in real-time. After much research for over-the-air DVRs, I found the Tivo Roamio would be my best option. It could work with OTA signals or cable but was rather expensive for the box and lifetime subscription for it. However, that cost was negated fairly quickly with the amount I was saving each month from lack of cable TV.

I was happy with this streaming/OTA setup for quite a while, although there were still several shows and some live sports I couldn't watch which was frustrating. In order to see everything I wanted, I would have needed several streaming subscriptions that altogether would have cost the same or more than the then revised prices Comcast was offering. Ultimately, it made more sense to go back to a Comcast double-play with free HBO that ended up costing less than $100/month. It helped that I could continue using my Tivo with a cable card so I did not have to pay any equipment rental fees.

With the lack of competition for internet providers around here and cable being the service many of us use to access the internet, it will definitely not be dead within a few years for TV or internet. The technology is certainly not outdated. With some content creators wanting to create their own streaming services, you may end up needing more subscriptions for everything you want to watch (ex: Disney leaving Netflix to create their own service). Also, with the monthly data caps many ISPs are implementing, streaming everything may no longer be a viable option.
wdb4673.00
      01-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #90
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Quote:
You must work for brighthouse. I've never heard anyone go back to cable after learning about streaming. Cable will be dead in a few years. Poor service, high prices, outdated technology

I am someone who dropped cable about 4 years ago and ended up going back to it after 2 years. Believe me, cutting the cord and going all in on streaming is not ideal for every situation. Let me explain what I went through.

First off, I was already a Netflix and Amazon Prime subscriber before I cut out cable TV, so my viewing habits were a mix of cable and streaming. Once my "double-play" service from Comcast reached $175/month, decided something must be done. My service was only for internet and expanded cable TV with HD and DVR. This did not include any movie channels and I also owned my own cable modem, so I did not pay a fee to rent one from Comcast. I called Comcast to see if there were any discounts or to negotiate a new rate, but they weren't having it. At that point I canceled my TV service with them and kept internet only which dropped my bill to about $65/month. My only other option for internet around here was DSL, which was much slower at the time, so that really wasn't any option.

Now down to only streaming with Netflix and Amazon, I decided to get an HD antenna in order to view my local channels and see some of the shows I like. After being spoiled by a DVR, I wasn't going back to watching shows in real-time. After much research for over-the-air DVRs, I found the Tivo Roamio would be my best option. It could work with OTA signals or cable but was rather expensive for the box and lifetime subscription for it. However, that cost was negated fairly quickly with the amount I was saving each month from lack of cable TV.

I was happy with this streaming/OTA setup for quite a while, although there were still several shows and some live sports I couldn't watch which was frustrating. In order to see everything I wanted, I would have needed several streaming subscriptions that altogether would have cost the same or more than the then revised prices Comcast was offering. Ultimately, it made more sense to go back to a Comcast double-play with free HBO that ended up costing less than $100/month. It helped that I could continue using my Tivo with a cable card so I did not have to pay any equipment rental fees.

With the lack of competition for internet providers around here and cable being the service many of us use to access the internet, it will definitely not be dead within a few years for TV or internet. The technology is certainly not outdated. With some content creators wanting to create their own streaming services, you may end up needing more subscriptions for everything you want to watch (ex: Disney leaving Netflix to create their own service). Also, with the monthly data caps many ISPs are implementing, streaming everything may no longer be a viable option.
In all fairness sling, psvue and dtvnow just started in the last ~two years and sling/psvue have dvr service now
      01-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #91
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Some good and some bad with hulu today.

Watched some CBS (Big Bang) with the wife and had some great quality and no interruptions

Watching some WWE RAw (dont judge me, its a guilty pleasure) on USA. Lots of buffering going on, rubber banding, and quality fluctuation.
      01-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #92
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
If I were paying what some of you say you’re paying, I probably wouldn’t have cut the cord, but per I am paying $125 per month by using PS Vue, Amazon Prime, Netflix 4k and Internet. I was paying $230 for cable and Internet plus Amazon and Netflix. I did have the start up cost of buying an Nvidia Shield but wasn’t necessary. And I see Sony has removed the console requirement. You only need one if you do not have one of the supported devices which most of us probably already have one:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ne...ation-required
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #93
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
If I were paying what some of you say you’re paying, I probably wouldn’t have cut the cord, but per I am paying $125 per month by using PS Vue, Amazon Prime, Netflix 4k and Internet. I was paying $230 for cable and Internet plus Amazon and Netflix. I did have the start up cost of buying an Nvidia Shield but wasn’t necessary. And I see Sony has removed the console requirement. You only need one if you do not have one of the supported devices which most of us probably already have one:
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ne...ation-required
How is the Vue? The only thing that im noticing right off the bat is that for the price of the "Core" package, i get Hulu live w/ access to the hulu 'limited commercial' library.
      01-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #94
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I know there is a new Hulu package but can’t say how they compare. PS Vue is kind of interesting in that if you favorite a show or channel, it essentially allows you to access the media or shows on that channel much like you would a DVR. You can skip commercials etc as well. So all I would say is you get free trials for all of these so take advantage of them to see what you like best. Hulu never really impressed me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #95
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh very cool, good to know. Yep, luckily i am not on contract anymore with the cable, so I have time to go through each of the free trials
      01-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #96
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
What I think I like best about Vue is that it is or was the most cable TV like experience with its guide and how you navigated the menus. My wife doesn’t like things overly complicated and was very easy for her t get the hang of it. Compared to Sling, we experience very little buffering or stuttering. I have 250/10mbps internet connection that runs through an Asus RT-AC68 router in AP mode (5GHz portion), an untangle firewall appliance and Arris Surfboard 6190 cable modem.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #97
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My wife doesn’t like things overly complicated and was very easy for her t get the hang of it.
Yep, thats one of the things im shooting for as well haha. Thanks for the info on Vue. I think ive lined up Youtube TV next, but after that ill check out Vue.
      01-08-2018, 10:33 PM   #98
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have cable because its included with my HOA, however I rarely watch it. Mostly just BS while eating breakfast or something. Mostly watch Netflix, Youtube (tons of documentaries on there), Amazon and shit I download.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #99
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
In all fairness sling, psvue and dtvnow just started in the last ~two years and sling/psvue have dvr service now
True, those options didn't exist at the time. If my bill ever gets out of hand again I may end up checking those or other options.
      01-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #100
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
How is the Vue? The only thing that im noticing right off the bat is that for the price of the "Core" package, i get Hulu live w/ access to the hulu 'limited commercial' library.
So... I'm doing the "opposite" of you I guess. Trying Vue first as it seemed like a more comprehensive cable-replacement for us. When I first started evaluating, the DVR wasn't available on Hulu and I'm not even sure if Hulu Plus was available.

I'm liking Vue so far. The kids have no issue whatsoever. My wife has trouble finding what she wants to watch, whether using the voice, search or the guide, which is "opposite" of Xfinity X1. It's "time" down and "channels" across. It confuses her. Sigh.

As far as cost on Hulu vs. Vue, you're right, to a point. Hulu is now including 50 hours of DVR. Vue is... Mark it as a favorite and it's all available via "DVR", for a month. No space limitation but... It's gone after a month.

Conversely... Hulu will sell you the expanded DVR package for $15/month but then... you're right there at the same price as the "Elite" package with Vue.

Vue works with Alexa. I don't think Hulu does, at least yet. Probably a matter of time.

At the end of the day, the $30 or $40 a month savings is "nice" but not ultimately, and only what makes the decision. I also have a wireless HDMI repeater that I need to use to get the Xfinity signal to the TV over the fireplace, which is flanked by sliding glass doors on both sides. Tough to wire. I could but... haven't. I can eliminate that with the Fire, Roku, etc.

I just had to reset the stupid cable box again last night... I don't think reliability is any better or worse vs streaming.

Cost savings aside... A key feature to me is one input. Use one box for everything, Fire, Roku, Chrome, whatever. As I mentioned before... This Fire "box" streams Plex much, much better than the Plex "app" built into the smart tv.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #101
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
^^ Awesome points, thanks for taking the time.

I can say one saving grace with convincing the wife about the Hulu package is "well right now i have a whole season of real house wives that i haven't watched yet". Hulu has the whole season so that piqued her interest and made a great point for me to sell the "technically we dont need enhanced dvr because the 50 hours will be fine!"

And one of the main benefits i try to push, is also the fact that, its literally 'on the go'. I cant tell you how many times we go visit my parents or the in laws and she complains that she misses her shows lol.... well technically not anymore! just fire up the laptop or bring a chromecast along for the ride and boom - tv.
      01-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #102
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I absolutely love my Nvidia Shield. They keep updating it and making it better. However it costs me money. It supported UHD so I had to upgrade my tv to 4K HDR. Then they started supporting atmos, so I had to upgrade my surround sound system lol. At least thats what I tell the wife.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      01-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #103
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Haha my plan is to grab a shield because i hear they are great for Plex as well. So if i go streaming, ill use the shield for the family room, and the roku for the bedroom.

Also for those considering DTVNow...

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv
      01-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #104
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I use a QNAP NAS as my plex server.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #105
amgraham
Rep

Quote:
I use a QNAP NAS as my plex server.
I have an old, old Iomega NAS. I've helped a number of friends install and set up Synology and QNAP (My two go-to brands) NAS boxes for home. I highly recommend them. (...and system architecture at a cloud level is my thing so...)

Problem is... Unless you get one of their higher end units, you may have trouble transcoding HD material. They simply don't have the processing power.

The way I've avoided upgrading my NAS is... I bought a decent but "broken" HP All-in-One off CL. Literally a $1200 machine but Best Buy told this guy it wasn't fixable. With the Beats Audio, all that.

I put an SSD in it, installed Windows. Works perfect. Who knows. Anyways... Instead of upgrading my NAS, I use that as a third PC in my office simply to watch TV, listen to music and be a Plex server. It's an older i7, 8GB, etc. But.... I've got a gb hardwired connection to the NAS. It transcodes better than a new Synology or QNAP NAS would.

Problem is that ONE TV. The Plex app is problematic. Playing Plex through that via the Fire box... no problem.

That's my one-source argument. I don't want me, the wife, the kids to have to switch between inputs or apps. To a point, you need to with Fire and PS Vue or Hulu but... it's one button to "home".
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:29 PM   #106
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Haha my plan is to grab a shield because i hear they are great for Plex as well. So if i go streaming, ill use the shield for the family room, and the roku for the bedroom.

Also for those considering DTVNow...

https://www.directvnow.com/appletv
Keep buying those Nvidia products gents! They made my dad $500k!
      01-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #107
amgraham
Rep

Quote:
^^ Awesome points, thanks for taking the time.

I can say one saving grace with convincing the wife about the Hulu package is "well right now i have a whole season of real house wives that i haven't watched yet". Hulu has the whole season so that piqued her interest and made a great point for me to sell the "technically we dont need enhanced dvr because the 50 hours will be fine!"

And one of the main benefits i try to push, is also the fact that, its literally 'on the go'. I cant tell you how many times we go visit my parents or the in laws and she complains that she misses her shows lol.... well technically not anymore! just fire up the laptop or bring a chromecast along for the ride and boom - tv.
We don't do "shows" much but... we pull a 25' camper with an X5 diesel. (That's why I'm here, right? ...and I had an M Coupe)

Anyways... with Plex... and I've a ton of ripped movies... The kids can download movies to their phones and/or tablets to watch on the road, or trackside at Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen, etc. They can download content from Comcast too... and Hulu or PS Vue as well, for "offline" viewing but, we've not.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:06 AM   #108
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I've been interested in cutting out cable as well. Unfortunately, none of the streaming options have our local sports network.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #109
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
I've been interested in cutting out cable as well. Unfortunately, none of the streaming options have our local sports network.
Give hulu a shot, i was surprised to get NBC Sports Boston.
      01-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #110
amgraham
Rep

Quote:
Give hulu a shot, i was surprised to get NBC Sports Boston.
I suspect he's referring to Root Sports Pittsburgh or maybe it's AT&T-something-or-other now...

I don't watch it because I'm not a big sports fan, other than motorsports but I guess many of the Pens and Pirates games are aired on that channel.

It's not available on any of the streaming services that i see. You can stream but only if you have a Comcast, DirecTV or Dish subscription.
Appreciate 0