BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
zagyyz
Rep
Drives: /

So... should I go for it?

I have a Tesla Model S Performance on order. I love the idea of full EVs and Tesla. However, I've loved BMW my whole life and to be honest, a 7-Series might just suit my lifestyle better (family car, needs comfortable and spacious rear seats, should be great quality). I sat in a friend's 740d and it was incredible. But I love the idea of owning a full EV...

Convince me to just cancel my order and get the 7-Series. Drop some must-have options (aside from the comfort seats, both front and rear - that is the main reason I'd get a 7).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
B.P222
Rep
Drives: BMW m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zagyyz View Post
I have a Tesla Model S Performance on order. I love the idea of full EVs and Tesla. However, I've loved BMW my whole life and to be honest, a 7-Series might just suit my lifestyle better (family car, needs comfortable and spacious rear seats, should be great quality). I sat in a friend's 740d and it was incredible. But I love the idea of owning a full EV...

Convince me to just cancel my order and get the 7-Series. Drop some must-have options (aside from the comfort seats, both front and rear - that is the main reason I'd get a 7).
Quote:

Get the top music system,drive assist package and M-package .
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

To be honest for me was the sound, I have a 740i and the in-line 6 sound is just amazing to me. I’ve never really liked electric vehicles because I’ve always been a petrolhead. A car with no sound is just wrong in my head but that’s just me... the interior quality is what separates the 7 from other cars such as the Tesla and 90% of average cars on the road. The build quality is incredible!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740I_yeye View Post
To be honest for me was the sound, I have a 740i and the in-line 6 sound is just amazing to me. I’ve never really liked electric vehicles because I’ve always been a petrolhead. A car with no sound is just wrong in my head but that’s just me... the interior quality is what separates the 7 from other cars such as the Tesla and 90% of average cars on the road. The build quality is incredible!
Don't really agree with you on the sound - I do like a nice 6 or 8-cylinder rumble, but I love the Tesla's sound. But I agree on the quality. The build quality of the Tesla is pretty good, IMO a bit better than a 5-Series, but just can't compare to the 7. I think that the 7-Series is the best built mainstream car (i.e. non-Bentley, Rolls Royce etc) on the market. It is just incredible.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.P222 View Post
Get the top music system,drive assist package and M-package .
Oof... I'll have a hard time getting those. While I do love the B&W system, the H&K one in my friend's car was pretty good and way cheaper. I also like the swoop effect on the front end of the regular 7-Series nowadays, so I'll just get the M steering wheel and maybe the M brakes instead of the full package. Finally, I don't think I'll get that much use out of the drive assist package. I'm trying to keep this to the options that I'm buying the car for, because that way it won't be much more expensive than the Tesla. (the Tesla is by far the most expensive car I've ordered). Thanks for the suggestion though, B&W and M Sport are cool options.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:02 AM   #6
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i G11

Thumbs down

I was seriously considering getting a Tesla and went and test drove the Tesla Model S Performance. I really liked the idea of electric engine technology. Yes its quick and has a few gimmicks. The price was the same as a BMW 7 and Mercedes S class.

I can conclude I will never own a Tesla until they learn how to make a luxury car. The craftsmanship was a joke. The panel gaps were all different across the car, the mouldings didn’t line up, and the interior was similar to a $30,000 Ford. The novelty will wear off very fast, and then you’ll be sitting in a car surrounded by cheap hard plastics wishing it felt like the money you paid. And the seats, dont get me started.

Drive the Tesla first, then immediately go drive a 7 Series or S Class. The difference is obvious. With the Tesla, you are paying big money to be an early adopter and to have the electric motor technology. You are not getting a superbly built luxury sedan.

After thoroughly investigating all options, I gave my money to BMW , but the S Class was close. Two years later, I can still say 100% I made the right decision. I see Model S cars on the road and laugh thinking about how terrible they are, especially for the price.

My 7er options I enjoy are the massage seats, laser headlights, executive drive pro, touch command, apple car play, Harmon Kardon sound, drive assist plus package, M-sport package

Last edited by Aussie_7er; 06-18-2020 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:19 AM   #7
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_7er View Post
I was seriously considering getting a Tesla and went and test drove the Tesla Model S Performance. I really liked the idea of electric engine technology. Yes its quick and has a few gimmicks. The price was the same as a BMW 7 and Mercedes S class.

I can conclude I will never own a Tesla until they learn how to make a luxury car. The craftsmanship was a joke. The panel gaps were all different across the car, the mouldings didn’t line up, and the interior was similar to a $30,000 Ford. The novelty will wear off very fast, and then you’ll be sitting in a car surrounded by cheap hard plastics wishing it felt like the money you paid. And the seats, dont get me started.

Drive the Tesla first, then immediately go drive a 7 Series or S Class. The difference is obvious. With the Tesla, you are paying big money to be an early adopter and to have the electric motor technology. You are not getting a superbly built luxury sedan.

After thoroughly investigating all options, I gave my money to BMW , but the S Class was close. Two years later, I can still say 100% I made the right decision. I see Model S cars on the road and laugh thinking about how terrible they are, especially for the price.

My 7er options I enjoy are the massage seats, laser headlights, executive drive pro, touch command, apple car play, Harmon Kardon sound, drive assist plus package, M-sport package
I don't think it's as bad as a $30,000 Ford, but I expected more given the price. The seats from 2017 to 2019 were great, but I hear that the new ones have headrests that are angled forward. Blech.

EDIT: I can see why you picked the 7 over the S-Class. The S-Class doesn't feel as nice (IMO) and looks too much like a rapper or gangster's car. The 7 is more elegant and refined, and the new version looks less like an old man's car.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Cars in this price class are emotive items so going to be hard to objectively state one is better than another, or provide reasons why one should choose model 1 over 2.

Having said that, generally, I think many people like the acceleration of an EV (whether tied to a ICE or a stand alone EV) but haven't found the combination of factors that allow it to work for them yet (charging station network, costs, access to chargers whether at home or away, range anxiety, build quality, etc...). I also believe that many would say that the S class is a nicer place to be if one is always sat in the back and it is loaded, however, as a drivers car and a daily...the 7 seems to be a good compromise and be the car of choice for those on here. Audi has gone the touch screen route which attracts and repels in equal measure and has a rather bland look)...

You may wish to hold off until the next 7 is introduced as there will be an all electric 7 as one of the models...if electric is what is really driving you.

Personally the attraction to a Tesla seems to be the desire to be in an EV and the rather good autonomous driving setup (with some issues but still farther ahead than the others). Also people love the 'tech' (meaning a big old iPad for a display). The acceleration is amazing. The build quality is poor for the price and class.

The G12 7 (you'll want the long wheel base version to get the maximum space in the back if that is as important as you mention in your post) will be a stunning compromise as it provides excellent build quality, is a really good car as a driver, is a really good car as a passenger (but don't get the exec lounge package or your front passenger won't get a good seat and will miss the heating/cooling/massage features at the expense of the rear captains seat). The air suspension means it is great for comfort and handling. The combination of LED lights in the interior along with proper buttons and tactile surface changes mean you can feel and adjust things without any danger or having to take your eyes off the road...HUD is a must as an option in my view by the way. Touch screens like those in the Tesla or Audi or coming S class are the wrong approach for me at least and I'd avoid them for that reason alone (try adjusting something while driving that is more than one level or screen deep and see if you stay on the road or don't find it poorly implemented). The sound system is important as it is a luxury car and should be sound proofed well so make sure you have acoustic glass (may be part of a package but the dual glazing makes a big difference to sound and therefore comfort and length of time one can drive or be in the car without needing a break). the HK sound system is nice enough, obviously lovely to have the top music system but you've already stated you'd be happy with the HK sound.

If you go for the 7, consider the HUD, the acoustic glass, the Msport look for the front spoiler alone visuals. Definitely get the surround view as a minimum as the car is big and you'll be very happy to have the cameras to help see around it when parking it in tight spaces when travelling. I'd suggest the seat packages (extended heating for front and rear if possible, heating/cooling/massage where possible but not if the front passenger loses their extras to give it to the rear seats...check your country configurations to see if this is the case.) The remote parking feature is useful for times when some idiot parks too close to you and you can't easily enter the drivers door so you can simply drive it out remotely...if your budget extends to that. The adaptive cruise control and lane assist packages are very nice for long drives to help stop getting fatigued. Consider the IAS integrated active steering IIRC steering package that turns the rear wheels if you drive in small lanes or tight alleys where you live. Otherwise it is fine without.

You'll get sunroofs as well as 4 zone AC as standard I believe but those are essential to me personally so check what your country specs include in case these are not standard.

Hope those points help. The 745 Le is a nice current compromise for those wanting a hybrid but the next 7 may be what you are really waiting for.

In terms of maintenance, do consider the costs in that regard...In the UK at least the 7 comes with 5 years / 50k miles service included...which means no extra costs...the insurance may be cheaper for a 7 compared to a Tesla as many boy racers with money or as used cars may crash it more so raise them in comparison to a 7 where you are?

Anyway, a few points that I hope help you decide which way to go, happy and safe motoring whatever you do choose! Do let us know if you go for a 7 though and what spec you chose in the end...
      06-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Cars in this price class are emotive items so going to be hard to objectively state one is better than another, or provide reasons why one should choose model 1 over 2.

Having said that, generally, I think many people like the acceleration of an EV (whether tied to a ICE or a stand alone EV) but haven't found the combination of factors that allow it to work for them yet (charging station network, costs, access to chargers whether at home or away, range anxiety, build quality, etc...). I also believe that many would say that the S class is a nicer place to be if one is always sat in the back and it is loaded, however, as a drivers car and a daily...the 7 seems to be a good compromise and be the car of choice for those on here. Audi has gone the touch screen route which attracts and repels in equal measure and has a rather bland look)...

You may wish to hold off until the next 7 is introduced as there will be an all electric 7 as one of the models...if electric is what is really driving you.

Personally the attraction to a Tesla seems to be the desire to be in an EV and the rather good autonomous driving setup (with some issues but still farther ahead than the others). Also people love the 'tech' (meaning a big old iPad for a display). The acceleration is amazing. The build quality is poor for the price and class.

The G12 7 (you'll want the long wheel base version to get the maximum space in the back if that is as important as you mention in your post) will be a stunning compromise as it provides excellent build quality, is a really good car as a driver, is a really good car as a passenger (but don't get the exec lounge package or your front passenger won't get a good seat and will miss the heating/cooling/massage features at the expense of the rear captains seat). The air suspension means it is great for comfort and handling. The combination of LED lights in the interior along with proper buttons and tactile surface changes mean you can feel and adjust things without any danger or having to take your eyes off the road...HUD is a must as an option in my view by the way. Touch screens like those in the Tesla or Audi or coming S class are the wrong approach for me at least and I'd avoid them for that reason alone (try adjusting something while driving that is more than one level or screen deep and see if you stay on the road or don't find it poorly implemented). The sound system is important as it is a luxury car and should be sound proofed well so make sure you have acoustic glass (may be part of a package but the dual glazing makes a big difference to sound and therefore comfort and length of time one can drive or be in the car without needing a break). the HK sound system is nice enough, obviously lovely to have the top music system but you've already stated you'd be happy with the HK sound.

If you go for the 7, consider the HUD, the acoustic glass, the Msport look for the front spoiler alone visuals. Definitely get the surround view as a minimum as the car is big and you'll be very happy to have the cameras to help see around it when parking it in tight spaces when travelling. I'd suggest the seat packages (extended heating for front and rear if possible, heating/cooling/massage where possible but not if the front passenger loses their extras to give it to the rear seats...check your country configurations to see if this is the case.) The remote parking feature is useful for times when some idiot parks too close to you and you can't easily enter the drivers door so you can simply drive it out remotely...if your budget extends to that. The adaptive cruise control and lane assist packages are very nice for long drives to help stop getting fatigued. Consider the IAS integrated active steering IIRC steering package that turns the rear wheels if you drive in small lanes or tight alleys where you live. Otherwise it is fine without.

You'll get sunroofs as well as 4 zone AC as standard I believe but those are essential to me personally so check what your country specs include in case these are not standard.

Hope those points help. The 745 Le is a nice current compromise for those wanting a hybrid but the next 7 may be what you are really waiting for.

In terms of maintenance, do consider the costs in that regard...In the UK at least the 7 comes with 5 years / 50k miles service included...which means no extra costs...the insurance may be cheaper for a 7 compared to a Tesla as many boy racers with money or as used cars may crash it more so raise them in comparison to a 7 where you are?

Anyway, a few points that I hope help you decide which way to go, happy and safe motoring whatever you do choose! Do let us know if you go for a 7 though and what spec you chose in the end...
Thanks for the feedback - I was planning on getting all those options minus M Sport. Trunk space is pretty valuable to me so I'll get the 740Li rather than the 745Le - I'd love the 750Li but that would push above my already high budget. I won't take the executive lounge as I sometimes need to carry five people at once. Didn't know that it reduced front passenger comfort. Anyway, here are the specs (for now, will probably change):

-740Li xDrive
- 19" rims
- blue M Brakes
- Extended canberra beige nappa leather
- Eucalyptus trim
- Park assistant plus
- BMW Touch Command
- Executive Drive Pro
- 4-zone climate
- all-around heated, cooled and massage seats
- front and rear comfort seats
- through-loading
- Ambient Air
- M steering wheel
- panorama sunroof
- H&K sound
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #10
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I can't justify paying $100k for an EV car because I think majority of that cost is the battery. I love my B7 and plan on keeping it another 2 years. The fit and finish of the 7 series is just phenomenal. This is my first 7 but I've had several 3, 5, 6, X3, X5 and X6. None of those comes close to how much I love my 7. I love the sound of the engine and the B&W sound system.
      06-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #11
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_7er View Post

This. Exactly this.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #12
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback - I was planning on getting all those options minus M Sport. Trunk space is pretty valuable to me so I'll get the 740Li rather than the 745Le - I'd love the 750Li but that would push above my already high budget. I won't take the executive lounge as I sometimes need to carry five people at once. Didn't know that it reduced front passenger comfort. Anyway, here are the specs (for now, will probably change):

-740Li xDrive
- 19" rims
- blue M Brakes
- Extended canberra beige nappa leather
- Eucalyptus trim
- Park assistant plus
- BMW Touch Command
- Executive Drive Pro
- 4-zone climate
- all-around heated, cooled and massage seats
- front and rear comfort seats
- through-loading
- Ambient Air
- M steering wheel
- panorama sunroof
- H&K sound
Awesome spec very similar to my 740Li however I don’t have the Xdrive as I don’t really have a need for it!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #13
zagyyz
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
This. Exactly this.
True, but I am a technophile that is in love with Tesla infotainment, the games, easter eggs, etc... I still think it's a great car, so I'm pretty conflicted. I've got time to make the right decision, I don't need the car now.

EDIT: However, I will buy a Tesla eventually. The other reason I might go for a 7 is because I am sure that the 2024/5/6 Model S will be way better than the current one.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
This. Exactly this.
True, but I am a technophile that is in love with Tesla infotainment, the games, easter eggs, etc... I still think it's a great car, so I'm pretty conflicted. I've got time to make the right decision, I don't need the car now.

EDIT: However, I will buy a Tesla eventually. The other reason I might go for a 7 is because I am sure that the 2024/5/6 Model S will be way better than the current one.
Yeah understood. I just don't think the feel of rumbling power and the growl of the engine can be beaten by electric even without gear changes and a 3 second 0-60.

I also think the build quality is superior. One is a luxury car and the other is a non luxury car aimed at luxury buyers that want to be early adopters.

Their tech is definitely cool but BMW also has excellent tech. I have a '16 750i and my tech rivals any current vehicle on the market and exceeds many due to wireless carplay.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 01:22 AM   #15
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:
The S-Class doesn't feel as nice (IMO) and looks too much like a rapper or gangster's car.
Do your rappers and gangsters across the pond have blue hair, and eat at the Early Bird?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:44 AM   #16
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i G11

For me, the S Class with the AMG package was much better looking than the 7 series. It has a really solid and aggressive presence. I found the ride was also smoother and quieter.

However, I’m a tech/gadget guy who loves buttons. What sold me on the 7 was the massage seats, laser lights, display key + remote parking, BMW phone app, gesture control, wireless apple car play, HUD, touch command tablet, wireless phone charger, ambient air fragrance. So many tech/options to play with!

I couldn’t find an S class that had anywhere near all of these options, they only have a couple of these options.

When they update the S Class later this year, if it has more updated technology, I could be tempted (once the first owners take the first big depreciation hit).

Last edited by Aussie_7er; 06-21-2020 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:22 AM   #17
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Tesla vs 7 vs S class?? There is comparison here at all!
Tesla - a plastic battery on steroids
7- a luxury 5 with more room and the power is always there to serve you just right
S- style/class combined with enough power to impress anyone at any time.

Would never buy a Tesla but I know at some point we will have to move to electric cars. NO idea what I would go for. Drove the EQX and it was nice but the car soul was missing. On the new X5E you can actually feel some engine sound.

Had 6 S classes(2xS65, 4xS500) and loved all of them. I went for a 740xd for some valid reasons: 4x4, low insurance/mpg, fast enough, the right amount of kit for me. I should have gone for a 750x M Sport but all were LWB which I do not need as I have 2 more small cars.
I know one thing: whatever you abuse in life it will hit you back; some of these cars will cost the earth to run/repair. Treat them with respect and they will look after you and your wallet. A car for me is a work and fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 08:00 AM   #18
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7th View Post
Tesla vs 7 vs S class?? There is comparison here at all!
Tesla - a plastic battery on steroids
7- a luxury 5 with more room and the power is always there to serve you just right
S- style/class combined with enough power to impress anyone at any time.

Would never buy a Tesla but I know at some point we will have to move to electric cars. NO idea what I would go for. Drove the EQX and it was nice but the car soul was missing. On the new X5E you can actually feel some engine sound.

Had 6 S classes(2xS65, 4xS500) and loved all of them. I went for a 740xd for some valid reasons: 4x4, low insurance/mpg, fast enough, the right amount of kit for me. I should have gone for a 750x M Sport but all were LWB which I do not need as I have 2 more small cars.
I know one thing: whatever you abuse in life it will hit you back; some of these cars will cost the earth to run/repair. Treat them with respect and they will look after you and your wallet. A car for me is a work and fun.
All the 750’s in the UK are SWB, rear wheel drive for the good looking ones, four wheel drive for the facelift.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #19
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

OK, I spent 5-6 years in electric cars. Lot's of hours in Model S, less in model 3. Owned 3 BMWi3s as well. I get the attraction of electrics. Both my home and office equipped with fast electric chargers. My wife and I were fully electric for 5 years.
WIth this out of the door, I happily moved back to the 7 series. And not looking back, and not looking forward to the time we will have to go all electric. In fact hoping that the two will happily co-exist for my lifespan. Oh, my wife moved on to M850i and loving it.
Re: Tesla - model S is a $40-50k car sold for $100k+. Model 3 is a $20-25k vehicle sold for $35k. Would I try to convince anyone not to buy electric? No. But once you spent a few years with it, the novelty is gone and you are looking more objectively which one is more fun and enjoyable I suspect it would not be only me appreciating the mature evolved vehicles like the 7 series more.
      06-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #20
Cruzdog954
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4M Competition

Garage List
I test drove the Tesla and to sum it up - "It has no soul"
Appreciate 1
The7th39.00