BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
BLACKCL
Rep
Drives: G11. Type R LE.

BimmerCode Help

Hello all.

I have a 2016 740i M-Sport and was trying to use the BimmerCode app to customize some things in the car. The functions that I want are all locked under BDC.

This is the error I’m getting when trying to access the BDC.

I’m using the MX201 Bluetooth Adapter.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #2
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Of the OBDLink adapters, BC is fully compatible only with MX+; what is MX201?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
BLACKCL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
Of the OBDLink adapters, BC is fully compatible only with MX+; what is MX201?
MX201 is the model number for the adapter. I double checked and I do have the OBDLinkMX+.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:49 AM   #4
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i G11

Forget the Bluetooth or other wireless adapters. Just buy the BMW ENET adapter. It’s provides access to all modules, and codes very fast (couple of seconds).

I had a Bluetooth adapter, and it was limited and slow. Not worth the money or time. Also, with the ENET adapter you can use it for advanced coding if you ever need to. This is how I got Apple CarPlay activated.

Just search eBay for BMW ENET. I also needed to buy an iPhone lightning to LAN adapter for it to plug into my iPhone.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
You also need to put the car in diagnostic mode by hitting the on/off button 3x quickly. I am not sure the Bimmercode instructions are clear enough on this.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:35 PM   #6
BLACKCL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_7er View Post
Forget the Bluetooth or other wireless adapters. Just buy the BMW ENET adapter. It’s provides access to all modules, and codes very fast (couple of seconds).

I had a Bluetooth adapter, and it was limited and slow. Not worth the money or time. Also, with the ENET adapter you can use it for advanced coding if you ever need to. This is how I got Apple CarPlay activated.

Just search eBay for BMW ENET. I also needed to buy an iPhone lightning to LAN adapter for it to plug into my iPhone.
Just ordered it.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
BLACKCL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
You also need to put the car in diagnostic mode by hitting the on/off button 3x quickly. I am not sure the Bimmercode instructions are clear enough on this.
Instructions were pretty clear on that. So I know that's not the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I have the OBDLink MX+ and I’ve never once had to do that.

I leave my adapter connected all the time. I just fire up bimmercode, select 7 series and it connects and the car automatically goes into diagnostic mode.

To the OP. Does your adapter say OBDLink MX+ on the front? If it’s doesn’t then it won’t be a MX+ hence why it may not be working properly. If it does then the adapter may be faulty so see if you can get a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

I've tried to turn off some options and this is what I get on the screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 01:37 AM   #10
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_M View Post
Did you update the adapter firmware when you got it? There is an app you need to download and use to make sure the firmware is up to date on the adapter.

https://www.scantool.net/downloads/updates/obdlink_mxp/

This is the app

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/obdlink/id879636351

Open it up and select settings then select firmware update.

You must be connected to the adapter for this to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 07:11 AM   #11
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
Quote:
Did you update the adapter firmware when you got it? There is an app you need to download and use to make sure the firmware is up to date on the adapter.

This is the app

I'll give that a shot. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #12
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
Quote:

This is the app

I'll give that a shot. Thank you!
I have the same Bluetooth connector and did not realize a firmware update was needed. Was having issues with BimmerCode for several days. On a whim I updated the firmware and voila. Problem solved. So very well could be the issue.
Appreciate 1
F80_M797.00
      06-28-2020, 11:22 PM   #13
BLACKCL
Rep

Quote:

I just tried this. Works perfect. It takes seconds compared to the BT adapters minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #14
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKCL View Post
I just tried this. Works perfect. It takes seconds compared to the BT adapters minutes.
Great to hear. I was also surprised how much faster using ENET cable is over the wireless adapters. Also seems much less hassle, and gives full access to features. ENJOY!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #15
BLACKCL
Rep

Quote:
Great to hear. I was also surprised how much faster using ENET cable is over the wireless adapters. Also seems much less hassle, and gives full access to features. ENJOY!
Mind helping me out with the Apple CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 02:47 AM   #16
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I purchased AppleCar Play + Full Screen Mode from these guys:
https://easyusbcoding.com/collection...lay-activation

You will need to use a windows laptop with the enet cable to install and activate CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #17
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 750i G12 M Sport, '12 528i

Quote:
Quote:
I used this site to get CarPlay and full screen done. Sent them the VIN and they sent an app that I downloaded and ran on a Windows 10 computer hooked up to my car with Ethernet to ODB connector. Ran the file and maybe 5 minutes later everything worked perfect.

https://oemnavigation.ga

I've now had CarPlay for 6 months and it always works great. I made my radio preset buttons shortcuts to CarPlay Music, CarPlay Maps, etc to make it even easier to switch between stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #18
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

I've beenusing Bimmercode on my '16 G12 and '18 G01 for a year without any problem. It's been 6 mo since I last used the app, but iOS has updated it to the new 3.6.1 version. Used the app on the G12 today and suddenly HU NBT EVO module could not be read anymore, regardless of connection (tried both ENET and MX+); while all the other modules worked. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app but no success. No problem in the G01.

Just noticed in Bimmercode manual that the app doesn't work if the HU has had 3rd party coding done (such as Apple Carplay or NAV unlocking, etc). The strange thing is that my car had ACP and lifetime FSC coding BEFORE I purchased Bimmercode and it's been working just fine till now.

Last edited by jlin101; 07-19-2020 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #19
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 750i G12 M Sport, '12 528i

Quote:
I've beenusing Bimmercode on my '16 G12 and '18 G01 for a year without any problem. It's been 6 mo since I last used the app, but iOS has updated it to the new 3.6.1 version. Used the app on the G12 today and suddenly HU NBT EVO module could not be read anymore, regardless of connection (tried both ENET and MX+); while all the other modules worked. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app but no success. No problem in the G01.

Just noticed in Bimmercode manual that the app doesn't work if the HU has had 3rd party coding done (such as Apple Carplay or NAV unlocking, etc). The strange thing is that my car had ACP and lifetime FSC coding BEFORE I purchased Bimmercode and it's been working just fine till now.
I also got that message yesterday. First time I've ever seen that, and it's worked fine for 5-6 months after doing 3rd party CarPlay activation. Something must have been recently changed in the app.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #20
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrispy View Post
I also got that message yesterday. First time I've ever seen that, and it's worked fine for 5-6 months after doing 3rd party CarPlay activation. Something must have been recently changed in the app.
Glad I'm not the only one. The app just auto-updated 3 days ago for "bug fixes." I sent a service request to BC; and the reply was whether I had activated ACP via third-party app. I see people at a different BMW forum also encountered the same problem in the last week. I'm guessing version 3.6 onward was the problem. Restoring the HU to OEM condition before coding HU-NBT Evo, then reactivating ACP afterwards, was reportedly the workaround, but kind of a hassle.

3.6.1 Jul 16, 2020
- Bug fixes

3.6 Jul 12, 2020
- vLinker adapter support
- Updated coding data
- MGU headunit expert mode
- Bug fixes

Last edited by jlin101; 07-20-2020 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
pcrispy17.00
      10-27-2020, 09:37 PM   #21
paul2241
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d Sport Wagon

Sorry to bump an old thread. Helping a friend with his G12 with CarPlay added and running into the same issue. Is there any way to restore the HU without using E-sys?

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one. The app just auto-updated 3 days ago for "bug fixes." I sent a service request to BC; and the reply was whether I had activated ACP via third-party app. I see people at a different BMW forum also encountered the same problem in the last week. I'm guessing version 3.6 onward was the problem. Restoring the HU to OEM condition before coding HU-NBT Evo, then reactivating ACP afterwards, was reportedly the workaround, but kind of a hassle.

3.6.1 Jul 16, 2020
- Bug fixes

3.6 Jul 12, 2020
- vLinker adapter support
- Updated coding data
- MGU headunit expert mode
- Bug fixes
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2023, 01:54 AM   #22
blizznake
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i

Garage List
2020 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:

This ☝️☝️☝️
Appreciate 0