BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
E92inNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Buy MacBook Air now or wait

Contemplating getting the current gen base model Air with the intel 10th i5 and 8GB memory. I read a story recently that Apple is producing their own processor for the iPhone, which is supposedly faster than the A11? they are using now and will sooner or later migrate to their MacBooks. Is it worth the wait?

Best Buy currently has it at $1199. Just for reference I use it for basic things, am far for a techie and my current is a model 2011 MacBook Pro.

Would love to hear from the Apple fanatics here as to the pros and cons.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
You use it for basic things but want to do...what?

Stick with what you got. It’ll browse the forums just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

If there is no immediate need to upgrade i would put it off till the new models drop. I still use my macbook pro from mid 2012.
Whats your reasoning to want the upgrade? Smaller size? Battery life? Just to have the new model?
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
If there is no immediate need to upgrade i would put it off till the new models drop. I still use my macbook pro from mid 2012.
Whats your reasoning to want the upgrade? Smaller size? Battery life? Just to have the new model?
Mostly cuz it’s noticeably slowing down plus all the other things accompanying old age. I’m browsing with two or three tabs open and the fan kicks on after a few minutes and then sometimes I get that spinning circle for a few seconds. I was going to buy it after the new one came out a year or two ago til I read the reviews with the complaints about the keyboard and it not having the latest intel core. They have seem to listen to feedback and fix a lot of things with this updated version though.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #5
henrylee
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
You use it for basic things but want to do...what?

Stick with what you got. It’ll browse the forums just fine.
I use the latest MacBook Pro 16in intel i7 16GB memory 516SSD for basic things

But OP just buy it now if you need a comp. You'll never get one if you keep waiting.
vreihen1614886.50
      06-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

currently typing this on my new $300 chrome book
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
Mostly cuz it’s noticeably slowing down plus all the other things accompanying old age. I’m browsing with two or three tabs open and the fan kicks on after a few minutes and then sometimes I get that spinning circle for a few seconds. I was going to buy it after the new one came out a year or two ago til I read the reviews with the complaints about the keyboard and it not having the latest intel core. They have seem to listen to feedback and fix a lot of things with this updated version though.
That sounds like a fair reason to upgrade. If you want it and it makes sense financially go for it
Let us know how you like it. However im probably gonna upgrade to an iMac
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 06:47 PM   #8
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The new MacOS (Big Sur) won't run on anything older than 2013. That screws me since my MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Mini are all late 2012 models. I've been looking around for newer machines, but the ones with the big discounts now are the 2019 models with the flaky keyboards. It's a shame the new OS won't run on my machines because they're all still running strong. I figure I still have a year and a half to two years with Catalina anyway, so no big deal.

To the OP, if you're not a power user, go for it now. Sounds like you won't need the power of the new chip anyway. Just avoid the deals on the 2019 models.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 07:33 PM   #9
wcr3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i XDrive M Sport

You have a 2012 pro, with 2-3 tabs open and it lags?
You have something else going on.
A fresh install will do wonders, if you decide to keep.
Also if you decide to sell it send me a pm. I need the larger screen.
Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50
      06-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

My girlfriend uses my old macbook pro from like 2011 or 2012 and that thing still works perfectly fine, except for the battery life has taken a shit, could get that replaced but she uses it plugged in 99% of the time anyways. So doesn't make any sense yours would be slowing down unless there is something wrong with it.

Also doesn't the macbook air start at $999?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #11
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
That sounds like a fair reason to upgrade. If you want it and it makes sense financially go for it
Let us know how you like it. However im probably gonna upgrade to an iMac
Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The new MacOS (Big Sur) won't run on anything older than 2013. That screws me since my MacBook Pro, iMac, and Mac Mini are all late 2012 models. I've been looking around for newer machines, but the ones with the big discounts now are the 2019 models with the flaky keyboards. It's a shame the new OS won't run on my machines because they're all still running strong. I figure I still have a year and a half to two years with Catalina anyway, so no big deal.

To the OP, if you're not a power user, go for it now. Sounds like you won't need the power of the new chip anyway. Just avoid the deals on the 2019 models.
Yeah, I've put it off cuz of the numerous complaints about the keyboards and I think they were using the 7th or 8th gen intel core. Glad they remedied these with the refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
You have a 2012 pro, with 2-3 tabs open and it lags?
You have something else going on.
A fresh install will do wonders, if you decide to keep.
Also if you decide to sell it send me a pm. I need the larger screen.
Went on their site and looks like i can trade it in for a bit of credit so I'm wiping it and sending it in. Problem is the stores are closed and estimated delivery is mid July if I order now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
My girlfriend uses my old macbook pro from like 2011 or 2012 and that thing still works perfectly fine, except for the battery life has taken a shit, could get that replaced but she uses it plugged in 99% of the time anyways. So doesn't make any sense yours would be slowing down unless there is something wrong with it.

Also doesn't the macbook air start at $999?
Yep, I can configure it to an i5 for $1099. Hopefully it'll last me another 10 years and I'd be thrilled.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Agree with wcr3d, for "basic use" you shouldn't have problems with general surfing, email, office applications.

My wife has a dead-ended 2011 MBA with High Sierra. It works for her basic needs.

I have a 2015 MBA running Catalina which I hope will migrate to Big Sur without problems. I am running out of hard drive space, which means vigilance to delete stuff and move stuff offline to an archive disk.
Appreciate 1
wcr3d460.50
      06-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #13
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

throw an SSD to your Mac and things ll get much much better.. and for the fan part.. Chrome uses hardware more than you think if you use one.. typing this from 2011 MacBook Pro as well with tons of apps running in the background..
      06-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #14
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
If Apple ever did actually go through with switching from Intel to their own processors in the Mac line, it would be an app compatibility train wreck greater than their switch from RISC-based Mac processors to Intel chips back in the day. As someone who hasn't even finished up with the 32-bit app replacements required by Catalina yet, there's no f-in-weigh that I would want to have a first-year Mac after an architecture change like that!

Of course, my 3-month-old MacBook Pro with 8 cores of Intel i9 CPU goodness will likely see me through the end of the PC era and beyond.....
      06-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Will do

Yeah, I've put it off cuz of the numerous complaints about the keyboards and I think they were using the 7th or 8th gen intel core. Glad they remedied these with the refresh.

Went on their site and looks like i can trade it in for a bit of credit so I'm wiping it and sending it in. Problem is the stores are closed and estimated delivery is mid July if I order now.

Yep, I can configure it to an i5 for $1099. Hopefully it'll last me another 10 years and I'd be thrilled.

For what you do, you have plenty of power already. A clean install and like YCO suggested, a SSD and you will be surprised with its speed. A bump in ram never hurts.
On another note, do a little research before you turn in your old pro, these things hold their value better than you may think.
Keep or sell either way you’ll be happy.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      06-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #16
wcr3d
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If Apple ever did actually go through with switching from Intel to their own processors in the Mac line, it would be an app compatibility train wreck greater than their switch from RISC-based Mac processors to Intel chips back in the day. As someone who hasn't even finished up with the 32-bit app replacements required by Catalina yet, there's no f-in-weigh that I would want to have a first-year Mac after an architecture change like that!

Of course, my 3-month-old MacBook Pro with 8 cores of Intel i9 CPU goodness will likely see me through the end of the PC era and beyond.....
Ya, that’s a workhorse.
Haven’t you read? They already said they are moving macs to ARM.
Doing the same thing and using the same method, Rosetta 2 translator.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614886.50
      06-28-2020, 11:09 PM   #17
E92inNC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
throw an SSD to your Mac and things ll get much much better.. and for the fan part.. Chrome uses hardware more than you think if you use one.. typing this from 2011 MacBook Pro as well with tons of apps running in the background..
Wasn’t aware this was an option. Quick google brought me to an upgrade kit and walkthrough on ifixit for $90. Looks really simple and I’d just have to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra afterwards. I really only have a handful of file, pics and Office that I need to keep. Do I reset the whole laptop back to new or is this what reinstalling High Sierra does after the hard drive change? Will this get rid of Office? I do use it for work here and there.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 11:59 PM   #18
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Wasn’t aware this was an option. Quick google brought me to an upgrade kit and walkthrough on ifixit for $90. Looks really simple and I’d just have to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra afterwards. I really only have a handful of file, pics and Office that I need to keep. Do I reset the whole laptop back to new or is this what reinstalling High Sierra does after the hard drive change? Will this get rid of Office? I do use it for work here and there.
you should back up on "Time Machine" thats the easiest way..
after installing the new hard drive, restore it with Time Machine.. you ll be fine but Office "may" ask you to enter license number again when you launch Word for example.. if you have trouble finding your license you can transfer license file from Time Machine to new system as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203981 ..
      06-29-2020, 03:13 AM   #19
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Ya, that’s a workhorse.
Depending on what apps OP uses, it’d give me pause. Just got a MPB 16” and due to Catalina, I can’t use older versions of Adobe products I have perpetual licenses for which is disappointing. Installers aren’t current and due to the new subscription model, there never will be an option. Given that code base needs to shift to new ARM processors, I’d have to think long and hard about what I want to do with a current intel based Mac over the life of it until the new models come out. General internet and stuff will be fine, but unknown is what beyond that will be supported at a top tier level.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614886.50
      06-29-2020, 03:26 AM   #20
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Wasn't aware this was an option. Quick google brought me to an upgrade kit and walkthrough on ifixit for $90. Looks really simple and I'd just have to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra afterwards. I really only have a handful of file, pics and Office that I need to keep. Do I reset the whole laptop back to new or is this what reinstalling High Sierra does after the hard drive change? Will this get rid of Office? I do use it for work here and there.
you should back up on "Time Machine" thats the easiest way..
after installing the new hard drive, restore it with Time Machine.. you ll be fine but Office "may" ask you to enter license number again when you launch Word for example.. if you have trouble finding your license you can transfer license file from Time Machine to new system as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203981 ..
If OP uses time machine to backup when he has software issues, a restore might restore the same issues. Same problem with iPhone restored from iCloud backups.

I'd suggest OP save essential files and folders then wipe it and start clean. Did this to my cousins 2011 MacBook Air with 4gb ram and it runs as new. Multitasking is a breeze and he uses chrome (with multiple tabs) extensively without the issues that he used to experience.

I'd start with that before dropping money on unnecessary new technology since it'll quickly become outdated in this day and age.
      06-29-2020, 03:28 AM   #21
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
The hard drive (SSD in this case) stores all the software and operating system do backup essential files and folders then just swap out the SSDs and install a fresh OS to get the best results.
      06-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Ya, that’s a workhorse.
I have been living with my head in the sand lately.

Side story - My first work project fresh out of college was writing an 8-bit 8080 CPU emulator that ran on a 16-bit 8086 processor, to run CP/M-80 applications. The 8086 had 4 times the processing speed of the 8080, and even with the emulator overhead the apps ran faster emulated than they did native. Apps have come a long way since then, and I have my doubts on the performance increase between the Intel processors and ARM. Long story short, my vote would be for a Rosetta-type translator for running iOS apps on the Mac, since I don't see it as something that I need when I can just pick up an iPhone to run those apps.

Out of curiosity, did they finally break down and promise a touchscreen interface on the Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Just got a MPB 16” and due to Catalina, I can’t use older versions of Adobe products I have perpetual licenses for which is disappointing. Installers aren’t current and due to the new subscription model, there never will be an option.
I'm going through the same grief with my new 16" MBP. I have an eclectic collection of 32-bit device drivers and specialty software that is no longer available and was never compiled for 64-bit, and need to scrounge around the Internet looking for new software to do those same tasks.

It looks like Apple is herding Mac users over a cliff towards the post-PC and post-Mac era.....