BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #45
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
Sorry but I will never be buying anything Korean when it comes to a car. For those who think that might sound racist I have never owned an American car either. I hate to even rent an American car. I am sure the quality is top notch and dependability may well be above BMW. Nevertheless I'll stick with the Ultimate Driving Machine. My last three cars have been BMW and I don't see that changing. My next new car will be the new 8 series. But that won't be for a few years since I just bought the 540 last month.
several engineers that made bmw, "bmw" including Albert Biermann have jumped shipped and moved to Hyundai. Hyundai has also outsourced engineering from Lotus as well. what does bmw have now?

Hyundai isn't quite "there" yet, but their progress has been amazing for the past 10 years.
Appreciate 3
      07-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #46
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
The fact that the 3 series line could have something as awful feeing as the 320 is when I knew it wasn’t a drivers car deep in its bones lol I mean that was the worst loaner I’ve ever had! The impala Loaner i got for my wife’s car from the Chevy dealer kicked its ass
      07-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #47
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Your typical Hyundai buyer can't afford the Genesis brand.
they arent targetting low end hyundai buyers though.

you dont target someone with a 20k budget with a 50k car.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 02:19 AM   #48
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
you must have not driven the new bmws...

outside the M lines, they are very uninspiring.
Compared to an M car yes, not to their natural competitors.

I have driven the following in the last two years
X3 vs GLC
3 series vs C class
5 series vs E class

In all cases the BMW was the far better car to drive wrt driver involvement.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
      07-13-2018, 02:24 AM   #49
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
Exactly.. I always loved BMW but most of the cars they have out now look alike. From the front is hard to tell them apart. The only BMW cars I would be interested in these days is the M240 and the M cars (really like the M2). The current 3 series and 4 get a from me.
It's a German thing.

For some reason all the cars look the same.

With VW, the interiors especially are a copy and paste affair. Merc as well.
Appreciate 1
Delta03117475.50
      07-13-2018, 02:25 AM   #50
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Also amusing that BMW's are being made in China, South Africa and South Carolina, but Korea is somehow seen as inferior. Should probably not look into where your tv came from.
Mine is made in Germany

But seriously, it doesn't matter where they are made, as long as the same standards are applied it's OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:02 AM   #51
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Good luck to Genesis- Hopefully it’s still around in 10years.

Lexus and Infiniti can’t sell IS, GS, Q50 etc.....Most ppl buy the badge- MB, BMW and maybe Audi.
I think the prior iterations of those cars sold well. It baffles me why the current generations didn't do as hot as they were much improved, especially the Q50 compared to the G37.

#1 reason in my mind is the rise of the CUV. Automakers have shifter their focus to that market and neglected their sedans. The current IS and GS were excellent cars when they came out and sold well, but that was like 6 yrs ago. With the sedan market contracting, some brands are going to be left behind, especially with how aggressive the Germans are with their leasing.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #52
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Infiniti's stupid steering is their downfall. The G37/Qwhateever lost all sportiness. It's got power, but it's a sloppy mess. Kinda like an F30.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      07-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #53
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
Update.
I went to a genesis dealer and sit in one g70.
The interior is nice, i would argue nicer than a audi a4/5, similar to 3/4 quality wise but designed a bit better (current gen f3x), inferior to c class as expected. All the buttons and switches feels nice and gaugets and centre screens are functional.
The seat though, looks nice but is its downfall. It did not hold my body tight enough in place. It might not be a problem if im 20 lbs fatter, but im not. And the seating positionis quite high. I always prefer lowest possible sitting position, almost butt on the floor. The seat of g70 does not allow me do that, it only lowers to a height i found too high for my taste.
The steering wheel feels kinda too hard, not comfortable to hold, definitely not as good as m steering wheel. but its ok. The gas paddle does not have the firm feeling i prefer but its ok.
Driving experience wise. Since I have no plan to buy the car, i was not shameless enough to ask for a test drive and waste their time and fuel. I cannot comment on this.

Last edited by Cyanfall; 07-13-2018 at 11:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      07-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #54
shmad
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post

X3 vs GLC
3 series vs C class
5 series vs E class

any bmw should have more involvement than any mercedes (AMG excluded obviously). thats the nature of their cars...
      07-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #55
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

The koreans make MUCH better cars now, and their improvement in the last 10-20 years might be unparalleled.. You can see this by the statistics of reliability and rank, as well as their growth from one generation of a model to the next. This isn't up for debate anymore.

With that said - the cost of these cars aren't exactly budget anymore either. Some of their "luxury / sport" models cost a good penny. They make decent quality cars and a lot of times you aren't saving much by choosing these options - and the biggest issue to me is none of these cars excite me or look appealing to me. As a daily driver sure - as a car that I buy to enjoy my car hobby, no.

I own different cars - each do their own tasks

A kia would be a great daily driver, but I wouldn't be down to throw good money on one. Just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #56
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post

X3 vs GLC
3 series vs C class
5 series vs E class

Exactly and I've compared to many others
BMW is still the best overall sports sedan

if yer a soccer mom, get a 320
if yer a young guy, get a 320 and tune it
if you have the $ get the 340 VSS track package the engine, components, and tweaks are worth it
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #57
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
Exactly and I've compared to many others
BMW is still the best overall sports sedan
The difference is marginal, whereas in the past it was clear.

The Germans have spent so long attempting to capture the same customer that they've built the exact same car. It just comes down to brand and interior preference nowadays, along with who will offer you the best lease.

The Bimmer and A4 are the best all-rounders in the segment, but I think the general consensus is that the Giulia, XE, and ATS are all better drivers' cars. And you know what? That's a real shame.

I'm not sure how the Giulia is selling but I know the Jag and Caddy have been total flops.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #58
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Coming to an Avis near you...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #59
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The difference is marginal, whereas in the past it was clear.

The Germans have spent so long attempting to capture the same customer that they've built the exact same car. It just comes down to brand and interior preference nowadays, along with who will offer you the best lease.

The Bimmer and A4 are the best all-rounders in the segment, but I think the general consensus is that the Giulia, XE, and ATS are all better drivers' cars. And you know what? That's a real shame.

I'm not sure how the Giulia is selling but I know the Jag and Caddy have been total flops.
I agree the margin is diminished.. and I like the Giulia (despite its owl-like styling)
but that margin is where its all at
the engine atop the 3 is a real beauty & the beast with low end torque aplenty and turbo kickin in at ~1500rpms
the 3 series chassis is already one of if not the stiffest chassis for a sports sedan (im fairly certain its the stiffest in its segment)
everyone is pretty much complaining about the electric steering
and the soft spring & dampers they put in for the soccer moms in the standard 3
ya want a nice soft ride AND to be able to feel the road.. sorry cant have it both ways
BMW is figuring they will cater to the soccer moms and commuters with the standard 3
then get the enthusiasts with the 340/M340 which is an m-lite
then get the sportcar guys with the M series
I think they have the right strategy for money making and marketshare taking
its not exactly what we enthusiasts (at least some of us) want
their lineup is blurred.. you need to know how to configure to get what they used to putout for enthusiasts
so people buy a 320 and complain about BMW losin its mojo
well who do you think theyre aiming at with that product
they want to steer you upwards towards the M if you want a driver's car
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
paliknight2186.50
      07-14-2018, 11:01 PM   #60
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
then get the enthusiasts with the 340/M340 which is an m-lite
then get the sportcar guys with the M series
Except they'll try to sell you X-drive if you live north of Florida and the X-drive gets the shittiest suspension of all, M-sport packages do nothing for it and even the 340/440 have pretty miserable suspension in the x-drive package. BMW builds the x-drive cars "higher", like a subaru outback, to fit the AWD components in there. Audi kicks BMWs rear end here, even with their engine placement, they make the dynamics of their AWD car match the engine and performance expectations. I haven't driven the mercedes 4matic equivalent, but it'd have to be pretty bad to be as bad as the BMW. There are places where the x-drive is nice, but BMW makes it really crappy at the 3-level and only starts to make it decent on the 5 series (as in performance orientated).
      07-14-2018, 11:19 PM   #61
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Just imagine if Yugo followed Hyundai’s footsteps. Where would they be now?

I think the looks are too polarizing. The interior will look dated in a couple years. The trick to diamond quilting leather is to use it sparingly. The whole thing looks like they tried too hard. Just my opinion for what it’s worth.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #62
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

I don’t think the looks are polarizing at all. In fact, that’s the main issue I have with Hyundai. They don’t stand out enough. They’re still copying certain aspects of designs (conservative) from other manufacturers and stitching them together making for what I think are ultimately safe choices in Hyundai’s design language.

Some examples:

Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      07-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #63
insanecoder
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Except they'll try to sell you X-drive if you live north of Florida and the X-drive gets the shittiest suspension of all, M-sport packages do nothing for it and even the 340/440 have pretty miserable suspension in the x-drive package. BMW builds the x-drive cars "higher", like a subaru outback, to fit the AWD components in there. Audi kicks BMWs rear end here, even with their engine placement, they make the dynamics of their AWD car match the engine and performance expectations. I haven't driven the mercedes 4matic equivalent, but it'd have to be pretty bad to be as bad as the BMW. There are places where the x-drive is nice, but BMW makes it really crappy at the 3-level and only starts to make it decent on the 5 series (as in performance orientated).
I dont have awd .. a rwd purist ova here
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:04 AM   #64
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
I don’t think the looks are polarizing at all. In fact, that’s the main issue I have with Hyundai. They don’t stand out enough. They’re still copying certain aspects of designs (conservative) from other manufacturers and stitching them together making for what I think are ultimately safe choices in Hyundai’s design language.
I still find the G70 to be very handsome. But yeah like the G80 and G90 it's a tad derivative. Sort of a melting pot of different design cues into one car.

Something about this interior just doesn't look upmarket enough for me. The design is closer to the likes of a Mazda or VW than an Audi. Material quality looks on point though.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #65
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Hyundai has made immense strides and has gone from straight garbage to a contender. But I'd still give them a generation or two before they become truly world class.

To me, world class is innovative and better in at least some respects than anyone else. Hyundai right now is 100% derivative on styling, technology, and everything else.

Looking at these Genesises and Stingers, they all look like copies that give you 90% of the real thing but at an amazing value. Which is a great business model but not quite there yet if you're a customer that demands the best
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #66
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussski View Post
Putting lipstick on a pig