BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

04-21-2022, 06:49 PM   #67
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
I actually am a person who can afford this, but to me, it only looks ok all blacked out with only the DRLs on. Once the headlights are also on it looks wrong, even in black. I wouldn't buy a Lexus instead of this though, would just make my move to Porsche permanent, a Panamera executive or get the Taycan 4S CT I am on the waiting list for. I have zero idea why people assume those who don't care for the new exterior cannot afford it.
If you're spending this much on your next car and BMW has driven you away with this styling direction, that's unfortunate and their loss. But, I predict you are in the minority of the target demographic.
I am a woman in her early 40's, so I probably skew too young for the 7 Series demographic. Regardless, saying people who don't like it are just poor is extremely short sighted, it is a polarizing design, and I don't think this will increase 7 Series sales.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 3
ChrisK4449.00
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
      04-21-2022, 11:50 PM   #68
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
That's just it. I'm saying the people who think it's ugly are probably not the ones in the market for this car.

The people who are in the market for it, probably like it. Not everyone, but I would bet most of them like this.

If you're not in the market for this car and you don't like it, that's probably not a coincidence. If the last car you bought or shopped was a FWD 4cyl crossover, then maybe that's the most relevant design for your to criticize, since you're the target market for it.

I'm not saying people can't have opinions, I'm just saying if you're going to spend this much money on a car, your opinion probably doesn't matter and is at odds with the people who would buy it anyway.
You keep repeating the same thing and dont get my point.
I am not in market of this car not because my last car was a FWD 4cyl crossover and I'm in market of those type car (your are trying to refer to people cannot afford this car right?; ).
FYI My last car was F80 M3 and before that I was driving F82 M4 and prior to that F13 M6 and prior to that F13 650 after another F13 650 and currently I am driving F92 M8...
I am not in market of this car because it's an ugly car not because its +$120K!
I am trying to say people who are gonna spend +$120K are looking for special cars and there are plenty of options in this range.
Anyway to each their own!
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 2
DeeKay553.00
      04-22-2022, 07:24 AM   #69
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
I’ll take the e38...

The silver one does look better, so it seems pretty colour dependant (the two tone to me looks awful) but they’re clearly aiming at the Chinese market.

Nothing to complain about - it’s where the largest number of wealthy likely to buy one are & if it means they can keep making some of their sportier models then great.

Just hope that the styling doesn't trickle down!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 09:14 AM   #70
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E66er View Post
Day 2 of the 7th 7. After the initial shock, it's growing on me. It's imperious looking...

Sadly this doesn't grow on me a single percent. Actually makes me sick to look at it
      04-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #71
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: -

No wonder I'm liking this 7 - it has E65 vibes. Here's the proof!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 11:36 AM   #72
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Sadly this doesn't grow on me a single percent. Actually makes me sick to look at it
uhmmm...it's just a car lol. Dont like it dont buy it?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:45 PM   #73
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Quote:
I am a woman in her early 40's, so I probably skew too young for the 7 Series demographic. Regardless, saying people who don't like it are just poor is extremely short sighted, it is a polarizing design, and I don't think this will increase 7 Series sales.
That's a blunt way to put it, but that's not too far off. People in the demographic seem to have different tastes. Not all of them, but certainly enough of them for BMW to justify taking this design approach. No one is saying your (or others') opinions are invalid, but they just don't matter as much. Other people are buying Honda CRVs and maybe 3-Series.

I've said it about the current LCI 7 as well, people who spend this much money on a car want it to look like they did. Call it showing off, or whatever, but I bet if you were *actually* in the market for that amount of money, you wouldn't want a pedestrian-looking design that blended in.

The last time a 7 series was this polarizing was the Bangle, and that is still the most successful 7 of all time.

I'm also reacting to lots of people saying "Give me the E38 (or whatever, I don't know the chassis codes)" or "I'll take the S-Class". No you won't. You won't take it because you're not going to spend that much money on a car, which brings us full circle back to my original point.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #74
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's a blunt way to put it, but that's not too far off. People in the demographic seem to have different tastes. Not all of them, but certainly enough of them for BMW to justify taking this design approach. No one is saying your (or others') opinions are invalid, but they just don't matter as much. Other people are buying Honda CRVs and maybe 3-Series.

I've said it about the current LCI 7 as well, people who spend this much money on a car want it to look like they did. Call it showing off, or whatever, but I bet if you were *actually* in the market for that amount of money, you wouldn't want a pedestrian-looking design that blended in.

The last time a 7 series was this polarizing was the Bangle, and that is still the most successful 7 of all time.

I'm also reacting to lots of people saying "Give me the E38 (or whatever, I don't know the chassis codes)" or "I'll take the S-Class". No you won't. You won't take it because you're not going to spend that much money on a car, which brings us full circle back to my original point.
Currently driving a $116,000 Cayenne and have an allocation waiting for a $142,000 Taycan 4S CT so yes I am in the income bracket that can and does spend 6 figures on a vehicle. It is fine if you like the look, I just had taken some issue with the assumption that people who don't like it are poor. Also, a Porsche badge on the hood means more to a lot of people than a roundel, just saying (when talking about flashy).
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 02:04 PM   #75
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 X7 M50i / TBii / Tartufo

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Currently driving a $116,000 Cayenne and have an allocation waiting for a $142,000 Taycan 4S CT so yes I am in the income bracket that can and does spend 6 figures on a vehicle. It is fine if you like the look, I just had taken some issue with the assumption that people who don't like it are poor. Also, a Porsche badge on the hood means more to a lot of people than a roundel, just saying (when talking about flashy).
I should probably be considering a Taycan too but the range is just so abysmal. I'm hoping to see the Taycan reach 350-400 range and then it'd be a real stunner!
      04-22-2022, 02:58 PM   #76
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr4ckD4ys View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I should probably be considering a Taycan too but the range is just so abysmal. I'm hoping to see the Taycan reach 350-400 range and then it'd be a real stunner!
I am probably going to get an iX M60 as a stop gap until either my Taycan allocation comes up, or the rumored BEV Cayenne comes out, supposedly in 2024. I would like to see 300-400 miles as well.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 04:20 PM   #77
scoobysaurus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
The Cayenne had some appeal back when I got my 958 turbo. Ever since the Urus and Bentayga showed up all the folks that want 'flashy' moved up and those that want it on a budget can choose the Q7 or Tuareg. Now it just exists as a middle ground between the two price points for people that want something sportier than an Audi with a flashier badge but can't quite make the jump to more prestigious brands. The fact that there's tons more base model or 'S' Cayennes on the streets compared to turbos or GTS goes to show that. Just as much as a poor man's Lambo/Benley as the 7 is a poor man's Ghost, if such words can be said about 6 figure cars.

For those that don't care about the badge or being flashy, I think there's lots of great options from all manufacturers that give a discerning customer the choice to drive what they feel suits them best. I'm not here to say what someone can or can't afford, but as someone in their 20's, I'm glad BMW went with something bold (like the E65) rather than something boring and mundane. If I were in the market for a luxury Sedan my choice is still the new Flying Spur (essentially a luxurious Panamera with more presence and better styling IMO), but this new 7 is a close second.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 04:32 PM   #78
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
Quote:
The Cayenne had some appeal back when I got my 958 turbo. Ever since the Urus and Bentayga showed up all the folks that want 'flashy' moved up and those that want it on a budget can choose the Q7 or Tuareg. Now it just exists as a middle ground between the two price points for people that want something sportier than an Audi with a flashier badge but can't quite make the jump to more prestigious brands. The fact that there's tons more base model or 'S' Cayennes on the streets compared to turbos or GTS goes to show that. Just as much as a poor man's Lambo/Benley as the 7 is a poor man's Ghost, if such words can be said about 6 figure cars.

For those that don't care about the badge or being flashy, I think there's lots of great options from all manufacturers that give a discerning customer the choice to drive what they feel suits them best. I'm not here to say what someone can or can't afford, but as someone in their 20's, I'm glad BMW went with something bold (like the E65) rather than something boring and mundane. If I were in the market for a luxury Sedan my choice is still the new Flying Spur (essentially a luxurious Panamera with more presence and better styling IMO), but this new 7 is a close second.
I have an E Hybrid Cayenne, which is rare. I custom order my vehicles though, not used. The Touareg hasn't been sold in the US for at least 5-6 years, and people here never considered that a "cheap" Cayenne, even though it shared the platform. Bentayga is ugly and Urus is a waste of money (personal opinion, I find Lamborghini ugly, across the board). Q7 doesn't drive well at all, the X5 is so much better. I will freely admit that while I can pay up to $150,000 for a new vehicle, over that and I would have to change my normal spending habits, which I don't want to do. The 7 Series is well in my price range, wouldn't buy this one though.
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 01:19 PM   #79
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E66er View Post

No wonder I'm liking this 7 - it has E65 vibes. Here's the proof!
Are you being sarcastic? FYI I actually like the car and have one on preorder but I've been staring at the image you posted and except for the round idrive controller I don't see any similarities to E65…
      04-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #80
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Are you being sarcastic? FYI I actually like the car and have one on preorder but I've been staring at the image you posted and except for the round idrive controller I don't see any similarities to E65…
That's an official image from BMW Design (see the logo). You can see the whole lot here https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/04/20/2...ies-g70-reveal hop over to the "Design Sketches"

Even before I saw that image, I saw the twin separated cupholders and clean center area and realized the similarity

Other similarities in principle
- radical design departure
- massive technological leap
- polarizing design...lovers and haters

Bangle mentioned that car models need to go in revolution and evolution stages. The 7 has had 2 evolution stages after the E65 revolution stage, the G70 is a revolution stage.
Hooydonk (the current BMW Group design boss, the actual person who penned the E65) is a Bangle guy - he's not afraid to shake things up.

Last edited by E66er; 04-23-2022 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tr4ckD4ys388.50
      04-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #81
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Quote:
.The last time a 7 series was this polarizing was the Bangle, and that is still the most successful 7 of all time.
The facelift e65 was a clean looking car though - would be interesting to see the pre vs post LCI sales figures.

Most of the Bangle era cars other than the 6 series to my eyes, have aged pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 07:40 AM   #82
Tr4ckD4ys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADEe92 View Post
Quote:
.The last time a 7 series was this polarizing was the Bangle, and that is still the most successful 7 of all time.
The facelift e65 was a clean looking car though - would be interesting to see the pre vs post LCI sales figures.

Most of the Bangle era cars other than the 6 series to my eyes, have aged pretty well.
I don't think we'll be able to compare pre and post LCcI sales since there is still a general trend towards declining sedan sales vs SUVs, so that would have to be factored in
      04-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #83
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

That's one of the worse wheel choices...and even worse photo. Let's level the field with some pro shots.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #84
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

It looks like many of y'all are in to sports cars more than luxury limousines.

That would make sense the new 7 doesn't appeal to you. It's a CEO not a supermodel.

For people who are in the market for this car (in terms of both dollars and type), they want presence not beauty. Rolls-Royce is the gold standard for that, and this car is clearly gravitating in that direction.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #85
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
It looks like many of y'all are in to sports cars more than luxury limousines.

That would make sense the new 7 doesn't appeal to you. It's a CEO not a supermodel.

For people who are in the market for this car (in terms of both dollars and type), they want presence not beauty. Rolls-Royce is the gold standard for that, and this car is clearly gravitating in that direction.
Sure, but presence and beauty are not mutually exclusive.

The E38 had both. Hell even the prefacelift G- series did as well.

For those mentioning the E65, consider that it was competing against the plastic-fest W220 Mercedes.

This new 7er is competing against the new S-Class and/or the EQS. Huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #86
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

The E38 did not have frontal presence. When parked ass first in a parking lot, any Mercedes out poshes it because Mercs have the big grill.

To be selected as a state car (for presidents, ambassadors), a large bling grille is preferred.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #87
E66er
@funwithcarsindonesia
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
For those mentioning the E65, consider that it was competing against the plastic-fest W220 Mercedes.

This new 7er is competing against the new S-Class and/or the EQS. Huge difference.
So it was wrong for the E65 to compete with a rival of its time? Is it supposed to compete with a 2022 S Class?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #88
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
WTH is going on in Munich!

They are making the Tesla CyberTruck look good.
I don't even know what to say anymore. These designs seriously make me depressed as a life time BMW fan. They are so far beyond anything I can even try to explain
I don't man but, it's *just* a car… no need to get depressed over it… plenty of fish in the sea…
Well I'm not depressed and after seven straight BMWs and being a BMW guy my entire adult life, I switched brand recently. They just don't look good anymore.

Depressed? No
Sad it has come to this? Of course! Have always loved BMW and their designs