BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 Pro & iX40 M Sport

BMW advanced eye 1.0 replacement

So I've been running with the featureless dash cam for a year now and I loath it from the constant nagging to format the SD card to the having fire up a windows pc to look at the footage from the removed SD card ( is this the 1980's for god sake ) so I want to change it.

I am considering the 2.0 version but I think I've learnt my lesson about bmw and dash cams so Im looking elsewhere

I've come across the thinkware f800 Pro which is feature rich and affordable ....what I love about this camera is that it appears to use the exactly the cables bmw have installed in my car for the original camera ( usb from front to back and power from the fuse box direct with tiny pin cable)
The reviews look good and it should be a simple install ( and I can finally dump the gps aerial the advanced eye need ...or should that be the backwards eye )

What do you guys think ? Anyone rocking a 1.0 ?

Si

Last edited by Bigladuk; 09-10-2018 at 06:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #2
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Where do you get these dash cams installed ?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 03:39 AM   #3
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker123 View Post
Where do you get these dash cams installed ?
Hi

My Advanced Eye 1.0 was installed by the main dealer who supplied the car

I've now bought the Thinkware 800 Pro and will report back when it arrives to say if it's a direct replacement or not

Si
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the new camera, I also am looking for one and ideally would go with the 2.0 from BMW but it seems to be delayed again and again...The original I had heard about the formatting issue of the SD card requirement every 3 weeks or so and the large size, shiny appearance and lights had stopped me from using it.

I started a thread a while back about dash cams for the G series 7's and there were a few replies and alternatives, a bit late now as you've gone forward with this one but I'll hope you'll come back with info and thoughts on it.

Safe travels.
      07-12-2018, 05:59 AM   #5
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

for me, the 2 cameras that everyone seems to go for ( if you want 2 Channel and no screen ) is the Blackvue or Thinkware, I've had the BlackVue before in my A8 and it was very as it was set and forget with some great features but as I've already got the wiring in the car for the other camera I thought I might as well give that a try.

If i was starting from scratch having experienced the BackVue already i would have paid to get one of those installed. what would put me off installing one myself is the powerbank you add in line, neither the BMW original or the Thinkware use anything like that, it's all managed via software in the app

I'm hoping to get it in at the weekend so I'll report back :-)

Si
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #6
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

The camera has arrived and I can confirm the existing wiring works and powers the new camera so I just need to reroute the cabling to the other side of the interior mirror then I'm all done.

I'll post some pictures when I do the install

Si
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigladuk View Post
The camera has arrived and I can confirm the existing wiring works and powers the new camera so I just need to reroute the cabling to the other side of the interior mirror then I'm all done.

I'll post some pictures when I do the install

Si
Nice! Looking forward to the pictures and your thoughts on the different system.

The dealer had the 1.0 ACE in the car when I bought it but it wasn't included, don't imagine they left the wires still in the car though...that would be convenient if I went the same route you are...

Still hoping the 2.0 comes along soon. Please do post some pics and give us your impressions, very interested and may go the same route. Need a front and rear system to be sure with the way people do drive these days!

Safe travels.
      07-16-2018, 03:16 AM   #8
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

No probs buddy, I'll got that sorted when I get back from my Hols in the middle of August

Si
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #9
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update

Over the past few days I've been preparing to replace my "Advanced" Eye 1.0 ( not sure where the word advanced has come from ) with the ThinkWare F800 Pro......I thought this would be a simple swop out the connections are the same ( the main reason I choose this camera )

The good
The Power Cable fits and works the same as the original one that came with the F800
There is plenty of slack on the cable BMW installed to sight my camera where I wanted to out it
The Cable that goes to the external GPS unit was easy to remove as was the GPS unit
The bad
Although the USB cable that runs the length of the car to rear camera has a Micro USB end at the front ( so plugged straight in ) the connector at the rear is Mini USB ( it's not 1980 for god sake ) so I wasn't able to connect in my rear camera so I now need to remove the cable from inside the panels and replace it with the one Thinkware supplied

I'm not comfortable removing the lower internal panels of the car so am taking it slow and might just ask BMW to it for me but will report back

The 800 Pro on the other hand is very good, stays live all the time even when the car is locked and records events no problem, it has software to sense if the battery is running low and will switch off if it is. Also works really reliably for Speed Camera notifications

If anyone knows how remove lower panels inside the car from back to front I'd appreciate your assistance

Si
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Have you thought about a mini-micro adaptor?

I have the 2.0 ACE installed in my car, which is now 3 weeks old, as was my only real option. I previously had a Nextbase 512GW in my A8, but dealer refused to move it across, saying they are only allowed to install BMW approved accessories in new cars, so went with that.

First unit failed after a day, so was replaced and now works perfectly, and can use the tablet in the rear armrest (or my phone) to view the recordings and change any settings.

Now it is fully working, I am very happy with the setup.

Aren’t these cars great!
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #11
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Markr for the info that the ACE 2 is now available, will have to get that on order and check it out. ^

Welcome to the 7 forum and the 7 latest version...they are indeed lovely cars aren't they! ^

Safe travels.
      10-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
Balster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530d MSport xDrive

How does this affect the warranty when you hard wire a camera? Is the warranty null and void because the wiring has been tempered with?

Thanks.

G30 530d M Sport xdrive, Adaptive Drive and with all of the important options.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balster View Post
How does this affect the warranty when you hard wire a camera? Is the warranty null and void because the wiring has been tempered with?

Thanks.
Hi, a good question, first I'll start out by saying I am not an expert in this and so my comments are subjective and my opinion only but hopefully they help understand the potential issue:

Effectively, your warranty will be fine as long as any aftermarket item has not been found to be the cause of the issue that would need warranty cover. In other words, as long as the fault was in no way able to be traced back to an electrical issue caused by wiring in to the fuse box or however you have wired/installed a dash cam, you'll be fine, if there is plausible cause that the dash cam did cause any electrical damage (or some other interior fittings damage) then BMW could step back and potentially say 'it happened when you installed this dash cam' and is not our responsibility. (that's how I interpret it and in simple language, again, I am no expert and have not couched my language to cover all interpretations!

You may install one and have no issues and therefore no problem with warranty, however, if you install one and it is not covered under manufacturer warranty, then you want to at least be aware of the risk and decide if that is something you are worried about or not.

Hope that helps.

BMW ACE and ACE2 are from BMW so as long as they install, you would have no issues at all, I have tried to find any marketing material that stated this as I remember reading about it somewhere but of course can't find it just now.

Safe travels.
      10-25-2018, 01:30 AM   #14
Bigladuk
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Hi, a good question, first I'll start out by saying I am not an expert in this and so my comments are subjective and my opinion only but hopefully they help understand the potential issue:

Effectively, your warranty will be fine as long as any aftermarket item has not been found to be the cause of the issue that would need warranty cover. In other words, as long as the fault was in no way able to be traced back to an electrical issue caused by wiring in to the fuse box or however you have wired/installed a dash cam, you'll be fine, if there is plausible cause that the dash cam did cause any electrical damage (or some other interior fittings damage) then BMW could step back and potentially say 'it happened when you installed this dash cam' and is not our responsibility. (that's how I interpret it and in simple language, again, I am no expert and have not couched my language to cover all interpretations!

You may install one and have no issues and therefore no problem with warranty, however, if you install one and it is not covered under manufacturer warranty, then you want to at least be aware of the risk and decide if that is something you are worried about or not.

Hope that helps.

BMW ACE and ACE2 are from BMW so as long as they install, you would have no issues at all, I have tried to find any marketing material that stated this as I remember reading about it somewhere but of course can't find it just now.

Safe travels.
What he said

BTW I have an ACE 1.0 for sale if anyone ( UK ) wants it

Si
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 05:42 AM   #15
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Not sure if all G series 7's will have this issue but the current situation when I try to see if the ACE2.0 will work with my 2016 G11 is 'computer says no'. That could be because I have the universal remote control for opening garages or some other feature but just as a data point (can anyone else check this please with a newer reg to see if it would work with theirs? Thanks!):
Attached Images

11-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #16
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi,

I have a new 2018 G11 and had ACE 2.0 installed by dealer before collection in September, and all working fine on mine now (first unit failed after a day or two and had to be replaced).

I found these instructions on the web if of any use.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=762959

Thanks
Mark.
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 04:53 AM   #17
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Hi,

I have a new 2018 G11 and had ACE 2.0 installed by dealer before collection in September, and all working fine on mine now (first unit failed after a day or two and had to be replaced).

I found these instructions on the web if of any use.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=762959

Thanks
Mark.
Thanks Mark, very much appreciated. Do you have the universal remote control (for opening garage doors and such installed on yours?) I'll definitely ask at my dealer but suspect mine is flagging as not compatible due to the universal remote feature built into the rear view mirror which may be blocked by the ACE 2..Not that I use it but as long as it doesn't cause issues with the other functions.

Thanks again, would love to get the ACE 2 so will contact a friendly dealer I know and ask.

Safe travels.
      11-17-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Pelocat,

No, I don’t have the universal remote, that I am aware of.

May be worth a chat with BMW Cheltenham, as 100% know they have done one - mine!

Thanks
Mark
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Mark, I'll definitely give them a call as they are not too far from me anyway (in Bristol) and see if they can do it on mine as well (or at least know why not if they can't).

Cheers, appreciate the response, been waiting for the ACE2 for some time now.

Safe travels.