BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-07-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 750xi

Is it just me?

Am I the only one that upon seeing a fellow motorist in a BMW thinks to themselves 'you, sir (or madam) have excellent taste. Hats off to you' or something similar?

I have had Land Rover, Audi, MB, Acura....BMW is like no other vehicle I've owned. I know an enthusiast typically drives it and it makes me proud they are also a discriminating consumer.

Anyway...random Sunday post
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Looking for one rn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggefreshvt View Post
Am I the only one that upon seeing a fellow motorist in a BMW thinks to themselves 'you, sir (or madam) have excellent taste. Hats off to you' or something similar?

I have had Land Rover, Audi, MB, Acura....BMW is like no other vehicle I've owned. I know an enthusiast typically drives it and it makes me proud they are also a discriminating consumer.

Couldn’t be more accurate! I have to say I really don’t like land/range rovers. Mainly due to the owners just using them as a status symbol and they’re just so overrated it’s quite annoying!
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740I_yeye View Post
Quote:

Couldn’t be more accurate! I have to say I really don’t like land/range rovers. Mainly due to the owners just using them as a status symbol and they’re just so overrated it’s quite annoying!
We have had two LR3s ( 2005 & 2008) and a Range Rover (2003). The Range was flat out unreliable. The LR3s were expensive to maintain but very reliable if maintained properly. They were super utilitarian vehicles that we made maximum use of relative to cargo space with two Great Danes. I have a different view of LR than Range Rover. They are tremendously capable vehicles. I do think that buying it as a status symbol is common but it also is common to have an affinity for the brand which we still do. I will probably own another one in my lifetime. But I still don't want to give a wink and a nod to another LR owner like i would another BMW owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 01:40 AM   #4
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
We have had two LR3s ( 2005 & 2008) and a Range Rover (2003). The Range was flat out unreliable. The LR3s were expensive to maintain but very reliable if maintained properly. They were super utilitarian vehicles that we made maximum use of relative to cargo space with two Great Danes. I have a different view of LR than Range Rover. They are tremendously capable vehicles. I do think that buying it as a status symbol is common but it also is common to have an affinity for the brand which we still do. I will probably own another one in my lifetime. But I still don't want to give a wink and a nod to another LR owner like i would another BMW owner.
Yeah I get where you’re coming from... BMW’s are elite if I’m being honest. In terms of build quality and just driving feel they are on another level to any other “normal” car brand.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2020, 07:48 AM   #5
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

I wouldn't necessarily say BMW are elite as it purely depends on the model.

I've had Audi, Skoda, Ford etc. My last two cars were Mercedes (still have the E-Class estate as the boot is hoooge and we have two dogs).

I've been in Audi A8's, S Class Mercs, have friends with Tesla's etc. I would say the high end German cars (A8, S Class, 7 Series) are generally in a league of their own. When I got my 740Ld I was torn between the A8, S Class and 7 Series.

Ultimately it came down to what I felt would be the nice car to own. The A8 had the nicest look exterior wise, the S Class was the quietest. But the BMW was the nicest to drive, the most comfortable and (to my eyes) had the nicest interior.

I often get strange looks where I live as there are 2 other 7 series owners and they are both in their 60's. Whereas I'm 42 this year.

Being a bit of a car nut I can appreciate cars from most makes. I don't think I would say someone does/doesn't have taste just because of a particular car they drive. We all have different needs and wants. Plus life would be pretty boring if we all thought the same.
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50
      06-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I am solidly in the BMW camp. Just bought a MB E class wagon for my wife because we need the loading ease and capacity (c'mon BMW bring the G31 to the US!) and my wife simply does not like SUVs or SAVs. The Mercedes is a nice car, but my G12 and G1 are better thought out, especially the driver ergonomics and electronics. The MB screens are nice (the 2020 G12 screens are equal; the X3's screens are not as big or sharp) but there is no touch screen, just finicky touch pads, too many buttons, lousy voice recognition, and wireless charging but no wireless Carplay, which makes no sense. The seats are ok, with massage but the massage turns off after 15 minutes and there is no way for the passenger to turn theirs on without going into the main screen. The music system runs off of a SD card -- you can't download to a HD like BMW. With buttons all over, there are no numbered presets for radio stations or functions (like tire pressure). BMW's iDrive may not be perfect but I will never complain about it again after spending the last week trying to decipher the MB system.
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #7
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I am solidly in the BMW camp. Just bought a MB E class wagon for my wife because we need the loading ease and capacity (c'mon BMW bring the G31 to the US!) and my wife simply does not like SUVs or SAVs. The Mercedes is a nice car, but my G12 and G1 are better thought out, especially the driver ergonomics and electronics. The MB screens are nice (the 2020 G12 screens are equal; the X3's screens are not as big or sharp) but there is no touch screen, just finicky touch pads, too many buttons, lousy voice recognition, and wireless charging but no wireless Carplay, which makes no sense. The seats are ok, with massage but the massage turns off after 15 minutes and there is no way for the passenger to turn theirs on without going into the main screen. The music system runs off of a SD card -- you can't download to a HD like BMW. With buttons all over, there are no numbered presets for radio stations or functions (like tire pressure). BMW's iDrive may not be perfect but I will never complain about it again after spending the last week trying to decipher the MB system.
They ruined it by removing the scroll wheel! It was so useful and the best way to use the system
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorStrike View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say BMW are elite as it purely depends on the model.

I've had Audi, Skoda, Ford etc. My last two cars were Mercedes (still have the E-Class estate as the boot is hoooge and we have two dogs).

I've been in Audi A8's, S Class Mercs, have friends with Tesla's etc. I would say the high end German cars (A8, S Class, 7 Series) are generally in a league of their own. When I got my 740Ld I was torn between the A8, S Class and 7 Series.

Ultimately it came down to what I felt would be the nice car to own. The A8 had the nicest look exterior wise, the S Class was the quietest. But the BMW was the nicest to drive, the most comfortable and (to my eyes) had the nicest interior.

I often get strange looks where I live as there are 2 other 7 series owners and they are both in their 60's. Whereas I'm 42 this year.

Being a bit of a car nut I can appreciate cars from most makes. I don't think I would say someone does/doesn't have taste just because of a particular car they drive. We all have different needs and wants. Plus life would be pretty boring if we all thought the same.
I feel you relative to age. I'm 36 this month and driving a 750. What I like about it other than it being a phenomenal vehicle is that I rarely ever see another person driving one. There is a single white one, also an M Sport, that I see around town and that is it. And when I see it I think hey (s)he's a smart fella.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 03:36 AM   #9
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
The 7's aren't as popular or evident when driving around and I always wave a hello to fellow 7 owners when I see one (outside of London obviously as they are a dime a dozen within the M25). I've also enjoyed travelling along with a fellow 7 when the occasion allows on the motorway and adjusting speed to suit as one rarely gets to see what one's own car looks like they are so rare...

I'd have certainly bought one much earlier if I could have afforded one but it wasn't until I was mid-forties that I bought my first 7...and I'll hopefully not drive anything but the luxury car segment now until I stop driving.

Unfortunately my wife hates the 7, as she finds it much to large to drive herself and is intimidated by them...so rather heated discussions when it comes time to buy new cars...
      06-10-2020, 04:01 AM   #10
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Unfortunately my wife hates the 7, as she finds it much to large to drive herself and is intimidated by them...so rather heated discussions when it comes time to buy new cars...
Mine complains at how big mine is (and the 7 Series fnar fnar )

But I won't let her drive it. She's only on the insurance for emergency purposes.

She drives my E-Class estate however, which is also a big car.

When it comes to cars though it's the only thing I ever have my own way on. We have the "why does it need to be so big, why do you need the fancy tech, why does it have to be so fast" etc. I just tell her if she want's to buy herself a car she can. But it means she does everything for it (wash, services, maintenance, tyre changes etc).

Funnily enough she hasn't bought herself a car since she sold her Golf in 2008.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

No, I don't have this feeling at all. 95% just drive the BMW whether it's a random car with some prestige. When I was young I thought that BMW owners bought it because it was THE better car to drive. Nonsense, doesn't matter, and even BMW has used this as an argument to start FWD production.

Besides, in comparison with the Panamera or the S-Class, is the 7 serie the better car you believe?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #12
740I_yeye
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
No, I don't have this feeling at all. 95% just drive the BMW whether it's a random car with some prestige. When I was young I thought that BMW owners bought it because it was THE better car to drive. Nonsense, doesn't matter, and even BMW has used this as an argument to start FWD production.

Besides, in comparison with the Panamera or the S-Class, is the 7 serie the better car you believe?
Can’t really compare with the panamera but the 7 is much more rewarding to drive and to use as a daily driver than the s class
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #13
Douggefreshvt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740I_yeye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post

Can’t really compare with the panamera but the 7 is much more rewarding to drive and to use as a daily driver than the s class
Panamera is smaller than 7. I don't think it is a fair comparison.
Appreciate 0