BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-13-2023, 06:54 PM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

anti tesla superbowl commercial - real or not?

Dawn Project shows Tesla vehicles failing to stop for child-sized dummies that are crossing the street, failing to stop for stop signs attached to the side of a school bus, crossing illegally into the oncoming lane, driving past 'do not enter' signs and even hitting a stroller in the middle of the road

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/90335...bly/index.html

Appreciate 1
M5Rick60089.00
      02-13-2023, 07:18 PM   #2
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Very interesting.
I had an AUDI last October in the Alps with lane assist. While driving on some B roads the lane assist would steer me into oncoming cars if the traffic was across in my lane. Scary as hell. I couldn’t imagine allowing a car to be in control of my life.

I was supper happy once I figured out how to turn that shit off.
At awkward times the car would lock in on a left or right side lane stripe and take over. I would have to muscle back control.

Last edited by Suds; 02-13-2023 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 07:28 PM   #3
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

This is not only Tesla's issue, other manufacturers are guilty as well, some do better some do worst. But no system is 100% reliable, irregularly sized objects, children, bicycles, strollers, etc are hard to detect. Tesla just can't give up on stupid naming such as "Full-Self driving","Autopilot", "RoboTaxi", plus people tend to abuse Tesla autopilot a lot more than other systems.

Last edited by Sedoy; 02-13-2023 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:22 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I mean apart from the stupid name Tesla decided to give it of full self driving which is obviously a marketing ploy... I'm not sure why it should be banned? Lots of cars have similar features, especially emergency braking. You could make an argument for changing the name because... dumb people... but I can't see the justification for banning the feature.

I mean do humans manage to brake in time for obstacles with 100% accuracy? I doubt it. Pedestrians have been getting run over waaaaay before any of these nannies existed. So if humans fuck up all the time, why would you not want a backup even if the backup only works say 50% of the time? I mean even if it worked 5% of the time, that's 5% more than you get without it.

Now, show me the video where the Tesla ignores all driver input, locates children with it's cameras and AI then proceeds to run them over and I'm all on board for banning it!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:37 PM   #5
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

good points everyone! agreed!

they only spent $7 million for this 30s ad according to the article

article suggests it could even backfire, ie giving Tesla more publicity!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 12:31 AM   #6
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Haters gonna hate.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:32 AM   #7
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Pedestrians get run over because they walk out in front of cars and expect the car to stop and not hit them.

Physics needs to be taught more in high school...
HEY - I'm walking here!

I constantly come across pedestrians that completely disregard their surroundings and traffic. They walk across the street with their heads in their phones never looking for traffic when the step in the street.

Kind of off topic but it drives me batshit crazy.

Hijack over.
      02-14-2023, 07:45 AM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The commercial looks real to me. Also Tesla FSD is unreliable so also real.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Not sure if it's real or not, but I'm certain that self-driving vehicles will be better at driving than humans faster than you can read this sentence.
Appreciate 1
cjb7621221.50
      02-14-2023, 09:18 AM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Interesting... what is the Dawn project and how did they get the funding for this?

I personally think these systems should be limited to simple environments... i.e. highways that are split by a median and on long boring roads... Tesla's name for this is really shady... it should be assisted driving or something along those lines.
      02-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #11
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

It's not only a lack of braking that is plaguing these "self" driving systems. It's also the unexpected braking for no reason that's causing issues too.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/12/21/b...ash/index.html
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 09:39 AM   #12
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Pedestrians get run over because they walk out in front of cars and expect the car to stop and not hit them.

Physics needs to be taught more in high school...
Oh trust me I'm not making a case for pedestrians. I'm just playing devils advocate and saying that if you did care about pedestrians it still makes sense to have the system even if it sucks.

If I ruled the world fuck them. Same with school zones with 10 mph speed limits. What are these little shits going to do when they get out into the real world and try to cross the street with cars going 45??? I noticed in FL the school zone speed limit is ridiculously slow, meanwhile here in the boonies in NC it's like maybe 5 less than the normal speed. I know who I got my money on not being run over by a tesla.
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh17313.50
cjb7621221.50
      02-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #13
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
The reason new cars need self driving tech is because new cars have so much driver distracting tech on board drivers no long watch the road around them, they fuck around with the big screen TV on the dashboard.
LOL. We've come a long way from the late 1950's, when Alec Issigonis refused to design an ashtray into the the original Mini because he felt that smoking while driving distracted the driver!

Just in case anyone cares, he got overruled:

Appreciate 2
      02-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #14
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Interesting... what is the Dawn project and how did they get the funding for this?

I personally think these systems should be limited to simple environments... i.e. highways that are split by a median and on long boring roads... Tesla's name for this is really shady... it should be assisted driving or something along those lines.
It is Dan O'dowd, he has a competing product his company is working on.

He tried releasing one of these videos last year. It was quickly debunked. The car never had FSD fully enabled.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00
      02-14-2023, 02:52 PM   #15
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Black tesla on YouTube drives from nj to midtown nyc with little to no errors in his model s on FSD. Each revision it gets better and better but it’s far from perfect.

Oh look here comes a fanboy comment…Tesla FSD is the most advanced type of technology fitted in a production car to date, period.

No other car maker comes close to teslas FSD and it’s not even flawless yet.

Yay!
      02-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #16
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
It is Dan O'dowd, he has a competing product his company is working on.

He tried releasing one of these videos last year. It was quickly debunked. The car never had FSD fully enabled.
this was my back of the mind thinking... who would actually make an add like this??

and sure enough... it wasn't a for the greater good ad
      02-15-2023, 04:40 AM   #17
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is, MG 6MT

Quote:
"Not even flawless" means it is flawed. "Flawed" means innocent people can be killed. Non Tesla fanatics see Beta testing FSD on an unsuspecting public as problematic and unethical, which is the point of the commercial. The issue is quite simple to ascertain without tech goggles* on.

* If you don't understand that term, google "beer goggles"
I don't think that this is the right way of looking at it. Humans, especially modern humans, and especially Americans, are shitty drivers. Anything that can help prevent accidents is a huge positive - and these systems do help prevent and mitigate accidents.

According to the NHTSA data, car accidents occur at a rate of about one every 652,000 miles in the U.S. Teslas on autopilot averaged one accident in about 6 MILLION miles in 2022 (according to Tesla). That is orders of magnitude better. Even if their numbers are off by half, the improvement over human drivers is insane - and the number of innocent people not killed or injured is significant.

And even in the accidents that did happen with Tesla, I would be willing to bet that human error played a huge factor in most of them.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2023, 05:17 AM   #18
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
I don't think that this is the right way of looking at it. Humans, especially modern humans, and especially Americans, are shitty drivers. Anything that can help prevent accidents is a huge positive - and these systems do help prevent and mitigate accidents.

According to the NHTSA data, car accidents occur at a rate of about one every 652,000 miles in the U.S. Teslas on autopilot averaged one accident in about 6 MILLION miles in 2022 (according to Tesla). That is orders of magnitude better. Even if their numbers are off by half, the improvement over human drivers is insane - and the number of innocent people not killed or injured is significant.

And even in the accidents that did happen with Tesla, I would be willing to bet that human error played a huge factor in most of them.
Americans are shitty drivers? Where are you from? I assume Germany? Are you German and from Germany?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 05:31 AM   #19
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Americans are shitty drivers? Where are you from? I assume Germany? Are you German and from Germany?
Nope - I'm American. We are stationed in Germany now. To be fair, I have lived in some of the worst areas of America when it comes to shitty drivers - DC/Northern Virginia, California, Florida, etc...

We have only been in Germany for about 6 months, but so far I have been extremely impressed with the driving IQ of the Germans. The vast majority have been very safe, competent, and courteous.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2023, 05:36 AM   #20
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
Nope - I'm American. We are stationed in Germany now. To be fair, I have lived in some of the worst areas of America when it comes to shitty drivers - DC, California, Florida, etc...

We have only been in Germany for about 6 months, but so far I have been extremely impressed with the driving IQ of the Germans. The vast majority have been very safe, competent, and courteous.
As are most Americans. There’s just more Americans driving than Germans. It’s just disappointing to see a fellow American in a different country, waving their flag and insulting his own homeland brothers. Of course you’re free to do that but I’m also free to be unimpressed with it. Especially when you would think we would understand by now how dangerous, unethical and most importantly, inaccurate, stereotyping is.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 05:44 AM   #21
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep

What can I say - facts are facts. I’m really sorry I hurt your feelings though.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 07:59 AM   #22
cjb762
Major
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Non-modern humans walked.

Quote:
So based on your observations of Germany for the past 6 months you are impressed with the German people's driving IQ. Yet Germany and German car companies are one of the biggest advocates for implementing Level 3+ autonomy. Mercedes just had a big announcement months ago of their willingness and Germany's TUV approval for MB to be liable for accidents under Level at certain speeds (below 35 MPH IIRC) and in the daytime with clear weather.
I'm sincerely not sure what your point is here. To me it sounds like you are saying "Germans concerned about safety." I'm ok with that...

Quote:
I've stated many times on E90 Post American requirements for gaining and retaining a driver's license need to be vastly up-leveled. Further, if an individual can't meet higher level minimum standards their right to drive should be restricted. If there is an American problem regarding driver IQ, it's a result of lower expectations from American citizens to allow almost anyone to drive. BUT that level of lower driving IQ, whether in Germany or America is not going to be fixed by automation aids nor autonomous driving. To truly reduce accidents and road deaths through automation/autonomy requires a level of technology infusion that is simply not affordable. The entire trip in an automobile will have to be controlled from start to end, timed and planned with all other automobile trips, similar to how air traffic is controlled. Given the two dimensions and limited space and traffic density and speed of travel, such automation of ground traffic is not financially possible.
I 100% agree with your assessment of American driver license requirements.

I 100% disagree with your assessment of technology's ability to reduce accidents. Vehicle technology is, in fact, helping to reduce the number, frequency, and seriousness of accidents right now. No, it's not perfect, but what is? Should we just get rid of seat belts because they are not 100% effective in every single incident?

Quote:
The alternative car-to-car avoidance systems just will never be good enough to reduce accidents. The cost effective solution is to vastly increase driver training, continual education, and higher penalties for driving distracted.
Again, technologies are currently reducing accidents.

I agree that driver training needs to be increased, but I'm not sure that actually reduces any costs.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17313.50
M5Rick60089.00