BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

03-04-2024, 12:11 AM   #1
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Frunk (on Rear-Engine eDrive50)?

Both the xDrive60 and M70 have front and rear electric engines, but the eDrive50 has only the single electric engine is the rear. Does this mean the eDrive50 has a frunk (front trunk under the hood)? I'd suppose there are SOME components under the hood, but it must be only 20% at most of what's in the two higher-priced i7s, right?

And OK, mea culpa, I actually DO own (since late November) an i7 eDrive50 myself so can go out to my garage check; but since it's dark and rainy outside and the car is smooshed up against the back of my garage, I thought I'd ask here first. Does anybody know for sure, offhandedly (esp. a fellow eDrive50 owner)? I'm certain prospective i7 owners would probably want to know so at least the answer by another (or me personally) might help somebody else likewise.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 08:46 AM   #2
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

No frunk because it’s built on an ice platform. Same reason there’s a transmission tunnel in back seats. But I would bet in the 3 year refresh it’ll have a frunk. Although that hood is huge AND heavy and doesn’t seem like something you’d use on a daily basis, there is a lot of wasted space even in the 60 version with a motor up there. Another refresh bet is a digital camera rear view mirror so the tv doesn’t block all rear views when down.

Only 2 things I’d change actually. Oh and I’m super bummer they don’t come with active anti roll bars like they were supposed to.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:29 AM   #3
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Thanks LB -- yeah, I opened the "f"-less trunk yesterday. I didn't think it'd have empty space but since there were otherwise no reviews or Youtubes on the eDrive50 to the contrary, I was hopful. I'm happy enough w/the rear trunk space.

On your second comment, even for those of us w/out the theater screen, the view is also obscured when the rear blind is up (not that I've driven it that way so far since November) so I'd also liked to have had a rear digital camera view included. There's already the camera back there - how hard can it be to send an OTA upgrade for it to be viewed on-screen...? I mean, its absence has universally been seen as a glaring omission from the very beginning. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:01 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post

On your second comment, even for those of us w/out the theater screen, the view is also obscured when the rear blind is up (not that I've driven it that way so far since November) so I'd also liked to have had a rear digital camera view included. There's already the camera back there - how hard can it be to send an OTA upgrade for it to be viewed on-screen...? I mean, its absence has universally been seen as a glaring omission from the very beginning. Anyway, thanks for your input.
Agreed. I used to roll up the blinds in my G12 when driving with the sun behind you. You could still see out but the sun was shaded. Those were sunshades and now we have sunblinds. The solution is to redesign the shade (perforations?) or, as suggested here, software. The rear view is already able to be seen on the screen -- but only when in reverse. Software could change that to give you a rear view. But what I would really like to see is the rear view camera in the rear view mirror. That would require hardware and software but would be the best solution.
Appreciate 0