BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-12-2020, 03:34 AM   #1
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

Question Driver side / window outdoor noise

Hi all!

Recently started to notice, that the drivers side window / door area is letting in more outdoor / road noise (as it seems to me).

Did anybody encounter anything like that? Could it be that door / window seals went bad? Car is a 2018 year model...

thanks in advance
      11-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
tastes jigga
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 750i xDrive

Garage List
It's the B pillar and normal with our cars. When BMW released the LCI version of the 7 series, the press release indicated they beefed up sound insulation in that area.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 03:53 AM   #3
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
It's the B pillar and normal with our cars. When BMW released the LCI version of the 7 series, the press release indicated they beefed up sound insulation in that area.
Thanks for your reply! But... normal? That doesn't sound normal. Is there anything that can be done by a certain dealer to fix this issue? Car is very noisy especially in winter when it's still cold.
      11-16-2020, 05:08 PM   #4
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastes jigga View Post
Thanks for your reply! But... normal? That doesn't sound normal. Is there anything that can be done by a certain dealer to fix this issue? Car is very noisy especially in winter when it's still cold.
Welcome to my world. The day I drove off the lot I knew something wasn't right with the road noise that gets into the cabin. Especially if there's precipitation on the ground! It's unbearable and is almost reminiscent of an economy car.

On my particular 750 I noticed that the bottom corner of the door protruded a few millimeters when closed, enough that it wasn't lining up with the B-Pillar trim. I was able to push in on that corner until it was flush and thought maybe the latch needed to be adjusted (soft close option) to get a better seal.

I brought this to the attention of my service advisor and was somewhat shocked when he brushed me off as though what I suggested had zero credence. Upon my insistence he quickly looked at it and claimed that it was within BMW tolerances. I still don't buy it.

Part of me wants to break out the decibel meter and log the results as I know there's no way so much noise should be entering the cabin.
      11-18-2020, 02:43 AM   #5
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Welcome to my world. The day I drove off the lot I knew something wasn't right with the road noise that gets into the cabin. Especially if there's precipitation on the ground! It's unbearable and is almost reminiscent of an economy car.

On my particular 750 I noticed that the bottom corner of the door protruded a few millimeters when closed, enough that it wasn't lining up with the B-Pillar trim. I was able to push in on that corner until it was flush and thought maybe the latch needed to be adjusted (soft close option) to get a better seal.

I brought this to the attention of my service advisor and was somewhat shocked when he brushed me off as though what I suggested had zero credence. Upon my insistence he quickly looked at it and claimed that it was within BMW tolerances. I still don't buy it.

Part of me wants to break out the decibel meter and log the results as I know there's no way so much noise should be entering the cabin.
The thing is mine started to be this noisy only recently. I think it is something to do with a seal. I do not visually see anything wrong with my front passenger door. It also seems to happen when it is colder outside. Once the car gets warmer -> the noise level drops (not 100% sure). I will setup an appointment with my dealer and see what they say about this.