BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

09-15-2023, 01:42 AM   #23
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
They should have the AC run off the 48v system like Benz does it. That way you get start stop and cool AC without the engine on. Its very useful in Florida.
that's why the S is still above the 7...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:01 AM   #24
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingtaser View Post
Small issue to judge the S and the 7. I drove an S before I confirmed my 7 order. Nice car but the 7 was a better driver's car. I also strongly prefer iDrive over Mbux. Neither is perfect but iDrive easier to learn. My wife BTW agrees. She has a '23 E450 wagon with Mbux and like the BMW electronics better.
Where S class wins is in sales numbers.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 11:32 AM   #25
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 750

Quote:
Agreed. I’m sure most of us 7 buyers also considered the s class. It’s very hard to argue with bigger and more powerful.

The S class sells better for sure. For all who have complained about weak AC I haven’t run into this. My AC blows super cold, not different than my Ram truck with a massive hemi and no MH crap.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 09:19 PM   #26
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

And I will say just for the record. I was very adamant about wanting to turn off ASS but I’ve been completely converted.

I’ve had the car for nine months and I don’t even notice ASS anymore. Earlier on, I would put it in sport mode, but for most of my driving, I find those dynamics to be too aggressive, because what I love about the car is how sedate, quiet and relaxed, it is to drive it.
Appreciate 1
AlteBMW729.00
      09-16-2023, 07:04 AM   #27
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
And I will say just for the record. I was very adamant about wanting to turn off ASS but I’ve been completely converted.

I’ve had the car for nine months and I don’t even notice ASS anymore. Earlier on, I would put it in sport mode, but for most of my driving, I find those dynamics to be too aggressive, because what I love about the car is how sedate, quiet and relaxed, it is to drive it.
Totally agree. This is a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 10:47 AM   #28
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

i agree with most of the above.

the 7 drives more elegant and smoothly than the S
the 7 drives is more luxurious in terms of optics and is cleaner in terms of design

what i miss are some of the details.... (unless asked for i will not go into details)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 05:18 PM   #29
todao
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i agree with most of the above.

the 7 drives more elegant and smoothly than the S
the 7 drives is more luxurious in terms of optics and is cleaner in terms of design

what i miss are some of the details.... (unless asked for i will not go into details)

I’m curious. What details?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 03:36 AM   #30
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
I’m curious. What details?
the details:

there are 3 ways to change the volume but only one to rise the side-shades (voice ommited). pressing the window switch makes them go down, but not up

the music level drop when activating voice command or some nav announcements is very harsh, could be smoother

stupid non-configurability of mymodes (functions, colors, default...)

no 12V in an usable place / none in the trunk

whiping water runs over drivers side window very quick

roof of trunk is metal, no tissue

climate glass not shielding the sun enough

no button for door opening menue, must go over shortcuts

missing a well placed door-close button front doors

sharp edges withing steering wheel, position 6 O'Clock, within

rear mirror bouncing with the music

very poor dampening towards the outer world of base (it sounds like a very cheap car with a very loud base) (talking about the 2kw B&W system...)

side mirror lowering in reverse not programmable

most of the things are just pure software that could be implemented. if they want to sell the 7 as luxurious car then they should go the extra mile, customer pay the extra price.

i still love the car, but some things are just not thought through
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 04:49 AM   #31
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
the details:

there are 3 ways to change the volume but only one to rise the side-shades (voice ommited). pressing the window switch makes them go down, but not up

the music level drop when activating voice command or some nav announcements is very harsh, could be smoother

very poor dampening towards the outer world of base (it sounds like a very cheap car with a very loud base) (talking about the 2kw B&W system...)

most of the things are just pure software that could be implemented. if they want to sell the 7 as luxurious car then they should go the extra mile, customer pay the extra price.

Agree with list but man what a car. Think the lowering of music thing can be adjusted maybe? Vaguely recall seeing that in menu system

I really need to setup shortcuts - I don’t like menu hunting for certain things
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 09:48 AM   #32
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Agree with some of the list but I still wouldn’t trade my 7 for an S. It’s hard to argue with bigger and more powerful!

I just wish the ASS could be disabled
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 08:11 PM   #33
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
the details:

"roof of trunk is metal, no tissue" - if you hadn't mentioned this, i for sure would have thought it was a production defect in only my car. didn't notice it til you pointed it out and i checked it out myself. so strange!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 08:36 PM   #34
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

My understanding is (atleast for everything prior to G70) USA BMW dealers CAN and WILL do this via ISTA, but will make you sign a waiver RE: fuel economy & relinquishing right to litigate against BMW RE: Fuel Economy / Emissions. Ask you dealer service dept.

I have the i7, so non-issue for me not having an engine ... with that mentioned, still trying to get my seatbelt reminder to be officially coded OFF so i don't have to use the $3 clip in my seatbelt buckle receiver.

Leaving this clip in permanently disables the automatic side bolster inflation & easy-entry seat features!
Appreciate 1
Caveno157.00
      09-21-2023, 08:55 PM   #35
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
My understanding is (atleast for everything prior to G70) USA BMW dealers CAN and WILL do this via ISTA, but will make you sign a waiver RE: fuel economy & relinquishing right to litigate against BMW RE: Fuel Economy / Emissions. Ask you dealer service dept.

I have the i7, so non-issue for me not having an engine ... with that mentioned, still trying to get my seatbelt reminder to be officially coded OFF so i don't have to use the $3 clip in my seatbelt buckle receiver.

Leaving this clip in permanently disables the automatic side bolster inflation & easy-entry seat features!

I have never gotten a BMW dealer to do that, waiver or not. This is the first I have heard that a dealer would do it. Indy shops could code it and for earlier models you could just code ASS yourself to a default of off.

I don't care about the seat belt chime as I am a seatbelt wearer and insist that everyone in my car wear them. Call me risk aversive.
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 09:46 PM   #36
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

This is really good to know! I’m going to ask my dealer.

I don’t think I ever wore my seat belt in the 760. I use a clipper from tikit thetikit.com, it’s the greatest invention in the world. It plugs right into the seat belt and ahhh…no more dinging lol. Plus it has a bottle opener which has become handy more than it should…
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 02:46 PM   #37
Caveno
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppagiga View Post
"roof of trunk is metal, no tissue" - if you hadn't mentioned this, i for sure would have thought it was a production defect in only my car. didn't notice it til you pointed it out and i checked it out myself. so strange!
My 24 has tissue on the roof of the trunk. Maybe it was a supply issue for 23 and they decided to go without it
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 08:45 PM   #38
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
for earlier models you could just code ASS yourself to a default of off.
I also have coded every BMW I've owned before I left the dealership to have these off myself, until the I20 and G70 with SC 2.0

Looking for permanent alternatives that wont get wiped after I allow OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:07 AM   #39
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I also have coded every BMW I've owned before I left the dealership to have these off myself, until the I20 and G70 with SC 2.0

Looking for permanent alternatives that wont get wiped after I allow OTA updates.
This is the fundamental problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 10:17 AM   #40
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
This is the fundamental problem.
This is why you need an eligible dealer or independent to add the following H-Words to the Vehicle Order in ISTA for G70:

0I11 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, driver
0I12 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, front passenger
0I13 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, rear left passenger
0I14 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, rear center passenger
0I15 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, rear right passenger

Once part of the FA loaded in the vehicle, every OTA or dealer ISTA-initiated ISTEP update will apply the deactivation of SBR chimes
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #41
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is why you need an eligible dealer or independent to add the following H-Words to the Vehicle Order in ISTA for G70:

0I11 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, driver
0I12 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, front passenger
0I13 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, rear left passenger
0I14 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, rear center passenger
0I15 - Deactivation of seat belt warning, rear right passenger

Once part of the FA loaded in the vehicle, every OTA or dealer ISTA-initiated ISTEP update will apply the deactivation of SBR chimes
Thanks. Interesting and a sophisticated take on this. I don't want to disable the seat belt chime. I wear mine religiously and want any passengers (almost always family) to wear them too. Too many automobile accident horror stories from my son in law who spent some time as an EMT.

However, I do want to code ASS off and I do want to activate the European headlights that are deactivated by default in the US. I have used Bimmercode for the first and had the headlights coded on an earlier car by a guy who knew how to do it. I have the OBD II dongle but I don't have access to ISTA and I no longer have a Windows laptop. My dealer will not do any nonstandard coding despite the fact that I have a very good relationship with them (I have asked). I am frankly surprised that any dealer would take the risk, and I haven't asked the one indy shop here that I trust. So I am resigned to living with ASS and the lights unless there is an easier path.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:55 PM   #42
XZLR8
Private
United_States
Rep

It’s the “best” auto-S/S experience I’ve had, but it still irritates me. Just about my only real complaint with the car.

'23 BMW 760i • Dravit|Amarone
'23 BMW X1 xDrive28i • StormBay|Black
'23 Range Rover Sport P400 • Borasco|Black
[ Departed, 2000-Present: 33 BMWs, 3 Land Rovers, 3 Audis, and 3 Lexuses. ]
Appreciate 0