BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

08-07-2023, 05:06 PM   #23
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

Best update in 8.5 IMHO is to the drive assist functions. It is much smoother and it goes to drive assist plus mode automatically when you get your hands off the wheel without needing to change drive assist modes

Last edited by mattsrs; 08-07-2023 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #24
fanofthe7
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW i7 xDrive60

Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Best update in 8.5 IMHO is to the drive assist functions. It is much smoother and it goes to drive assist plus more automatically when you get your hands off the wheel without needing to change drive assist modes
Seems like it's a lot smoother and makes less mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #25
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
Thank you for posting all those pictures!

So it looks like the upgrade has the option to automatically open and close the doors upon approach and exit of the vehicle. Thank you, BMW!

Now we have the coolest car with the coolest features that no other car has.
This feature is not available in the USA. I got a call from my BMW Dealer today and the person that spoke to the BMW Engineer about this feature. They said the feature is not available in the USA and they are presently talking with governmental agencies to determine if it will be allowed. There is no final determination, only to say that it is not available now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 01:44 AM   #26
jcdsag
Rep
Drives: BMW M850i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofthe7 View Post
iPhone with Bluetooth ON and Digital BMW Key in iPhone Wallet. There we go, here is your video:

https://vimeo.com/852488404/7945a3c2b3
Amazing, thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 09:58 AM   #27
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post
This feature is not available in the USA.
Wow, THAT really harshes my mellow (I live near Berkeley so more appropriate than it "rains on my parade"). Still, betcha I'll love my soon-to-own i7 ANYWAY!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #28
pearlss1977
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofthe7 View Post
iPhone with Bluetooth ON and Digital BMW Key in iPhone Wallet. There we go, here is your video:

https://vimeo.com/852488404/7945a3c2b3
Hi
Does this work with a regular key in the pocket?
My car has the 8.5 installed but i dont see that feature. Does it make sense that the US cars are not getting that option?

Never mind i just read the second page of this thread and it answered my question

David
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 07:09 PM   #29
seans
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlss1977 View Post
Hi
Does this work with a regular key in the pocket?
My car has the 8.5 installed but i dont see that feature. Does it make sense that the US cars are not getting that option?

Never mind i just read the second page of this thread and it answered my question

David
Our traffic laws here and the NHTSA are quite interesting in the USA, in that they tend to not move fast in some areas (e.g. not requiring amber rear turn signals) yet offer lax regulations in some other areas (e.g. allowing autonomous driving in Tesla's case).

Perhaps it was for the same reasons that BMW withheld the remote door operation feature from the USA until some lawyers were able to establish its permissibility/legality. Hopefully we'll see this new feature too. Throw in the anti-dazzle high beams and I'll be a very happy American.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 03:39 AM   #30
fanofthe7
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

NEW: Now you can SAVE the Lounge Position in the back

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 03:40 AM   #31
fanofthe7
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

Now you can tell the car to NOT to reset seats (passengers side front and back)

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 03:41 PM   #32
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
Best update in 8.5 IMHO is to the drive assist functions. It is much smoother and it goes to drive assist plus mode automatically when you get your hands off the wheel without needing to change drive assist modes
Wow! I’ve gotten the update but haven’t gotten on the hwy yet! I didn’t know about this. Thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 09:45 PM   #33
seans
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Is anyone aware if the motor-assist doors perform any better with the update, notably when opening them from the outside? My managed expectations say, “no”.

I find that opening them in a parking lot is a super slow process, yet opening them from the app works just fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 09:54 AM   #34
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I'm not sure I care for that closing of the driver's door when I walk away from it. What happens when I exit the vehicle because I want to beat the ass of somebody honking incessantly at me from behind? If instead he actually beats MY ass, I'd want to scurry back into my car through an open door as fast as possible. Oh....WAIT — yeah, it OPENS automatically now too.

Sorry, nevermind. I approve.

Seriously though, thank you very much for the photos. Enjoy your i7!
😂😂 hilarious, but I guess you have to be ready for any situation!
      08-11-2023, 01:00 PM   #35
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
😂😂 hilarious, but I guess you have to be ready for any situation!
I kid of course. But now that I think of it, some of you with drivers or car-butlers probably don't care if the door opens or closes because HE (or SHE)'ll handle the brawl instead. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #36
fanofthe7
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep

More control options climate: driver and passenger auto settings

More control options climate: driver and passenger auto settings
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 05:25 PM   #37
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post
This feature is not available in the USA. I got a call from my BMW Dealer today and the person that spoke to the BMW Engineer about this feature. They said the feature is not available in the USA and they are presently talking with governmental agencies to determine if it will be allowed. There is no final determination, only to say that it is not available now.
BMW are always so careful about these kinds of things. Tesla Model X has had auto open doors since launch in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 06:11 PM   #38
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
BMW are always so careful about these kinds of things. Tesla Model X has had auto open doors since launch in 2016.
In typical Tesla fashion, did they launch right off the car onto the ground or into adjacent vehicles as a result of strict quality control standards Tesla is known for?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 12:33 PM   #39
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

Brought the 760 in for first oil change and the service associate looked it up and said did I also want to do the upgrade to iDrive 8.5. He said that it may take all day since he had done the upgrade on another car and it crashed and they needed it overnight.

I still said yes since I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

They had it most of the day and indicated in fact, they couldn't do the upgrade. It's not allowed and it will go over the air in September.

This dealer- Santa Monica BMW- is very frustrating. The service associate indicated they had done this upgrade on another car- which was not true. Then when I expressed my frustration that they kept the car all day for a simple oil change, the service associate denied he said they've done the upgrade and he argued with me about that.

Just a frustrating experience. I'm happy to wait for the upgrade but not happy that the dealer isn't better informed about how it works on their own cars and then is argumentative.

I may consider other dealers for service, even though they are much further away.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 01:59 PM   #40
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
Brought the 760 in for first oil change and the service associate looked it up and said did I also want to do the upgrade to iDrive 8.5. He said that it may take all day since he had done the upgrade on another car and it crashed and they needed it overnight.

I still said yes since I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

They had it most of the day and indicated in fact, they couldn't do the upgrade. It's not allowed and it will go over the air in September.

This dealer- Santa Monica BMW- is very frustrating. The service associate indicated they had done this upgrade on another car- which was not true. Then when I expressed my frustration that they kept the car all day for a simple oil change, the service associate denied he said they've done the upgrade and he argued with me about that.

Just a frustrating experience. I'm happy to wait for the upgrade but not happy that the dealer isn't better informed about how it works on their own cars and then is argumentative.

I may consider other dealers for service, even though they are much further away.
If your vehicle had been in there for some type of fault or error, you would have gotten it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 04:17 PM   #41
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

You can just complain about any of the existing bugs, and they can then do the upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 06:31 PM   #42
TJM2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I had a frustrating experience today.( BMW Orland Park ) Needed an alignment on my i7. Took it in and they told me there was a TSB for idrive update to 8.5. My cars sim won’t connect, rear camera keeps faulting and idrive randomly resets. About 4 hours later get a call, they can not do the alignment because their machine is not update to do an alignment on an i7, and I will have to wait for their machine to be updated. They told me software was updated. Got the car back and there was no update completed. I questioned this and they gave me the run around and that the TSB is to give me some paperwork that says what the 8.5 update will be. What a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 07:07 PM   #43
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJM2 View Post
I had a frustrating experience today.( BMW Orland Park ) Needed an alignment on my i7. Took it in and they told me there was a TSB for idrive update to 8.5. My cars sim won’t connect, rear camera keeps faulting and idrive randomly resets. About 4 hours later get a call, they can not do the alignment because their machine is not update to do an alignment on an i7, and I will have to wait for their machine to be updated. They told me software was updated. Got the car back and there was no update completed. I questioned this and they gave me the run around and that the TSB is to give me some paperwork that says what the 8.5 update will be. What a waste of time.
I'm having the same issues with Idrive on my i7. I don't have alignment issues though. I've scheduled it for service this coming Wednesday. Fingers crossed they will update.
      08-24-2023, 02:41 PM   #44
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
I'm having the same issues with Idrive on my i7. I don't have alignment issues though. I've scheduled it for service this coming Wednesday. Fingers crossed they will update.
Got the car back today and it's updated to 07.2023. So far so good.