BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

10-12-2023, 11:12 AM   #45
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Some hotel chains now have web sites that list their hotels which have chargers. For example:

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-33854
That's a great resource -- I'm going to keep that in my online everyday-document (and thank you too for the wonderful post in general).

It will still be another 6-7 weeks before my i7 arrives, but I'm wondering why you seem to (here and in other posts) prefer the app ABRP as opposed to PlugShare. I found ABRP to be a bit clunky to use, but after viewing PlugShare on my iPhone and online, I found up-to-date ratings with photos and current info as to whether or not a station is in use or broken, etc. That's spectacular. Any thoughts on PlugShare specifically?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 01:44 PM   #46
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
That's a great resource -- I'm going to keep that in my online everyday-document (and thank you too for the wonderful post in general).

It will still be another 6-7 weeks before my i7 arrives, but I'm wondering why you seem to (here and in other posts) prefer the app ABRP as opposed to PlugShare. I found ABRP to be a bit clunky to use, but after viewing PlugShare on my iPhone and online, I found up-to-date ratings with photos and current info as to whether or not a station is in use or broken, etc. That's spectacular. Any thoughts on PlugShare specifically?
I actually use them both.

ABRP is a much better planner (IMHO) but I always follow up using PlugShare to get timely user feedback on the current status of my chosen charging stops.

I've been using ABRP for years and its always been great. Its very flexible and configurable and its route planning is the best I think. I'm not sure if PlugShare now has actual route planning but it didn't use to...

IOW: ABRP for Route Planning (select my charging stops). PlugShare for Confimation (research user feedback on my selected stops).
Appreciate 1
CaboM41363.00
      10-12-2023, 02:32 PM   #47
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
IOW: ABRP for Route Planning (select my charging stops). PlugShare for Confirmation (research user feedback on my selected stops).
Ah-soooo! I'll remember that two-heads-are-better-than-one theory with them. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 05:07 PM   #48
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
I actually use them both.

ABRP is a much better planner (IMHO) but I always follow up using PlugShare to get timely user feedback on the current status of my chosen charging stops..
Yes, very good point. I do the same
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 12:13 PM   #49
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92w5doU68D8

This is my nightmare.

That Supercharger adapter, if real, can’t come soon enough.

Admittedly my area (Northeast) might be better than where he was traveling. But this is a legit real world test that doesn’t inspire confidence.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 09:50 AM   #50
bmwterp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I5M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post

This is my nightmare.

Admittedly my area (Northeast) might be better than where he was traveling. But this is a legit real world test that doesn’t inspire confidence.
Thanks. I've seen this guy before. He's good.

I've been looking for a while. I think I am going with a Tesla because of their SC network. It's just such a great differentiator. But, still not 100%. I'm going to decided soon. Again, I would love an i5, but just dont' want to deal with this (as I do drive long distances often).

The non-Tesla charging infrastructure will be fine in the next 5 years. Will it be a few months away or 5 years away? That's the question. If Tesla opens up a lot more chargers or the adapter works and is approved by Tesla it could be within a year. Otherwise, its going to take years for the network to catch up.
Appreciate 1
AlteBMW729.00
      10-16-2023, 10:37 AM   #51
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwterp View Post
The non-Tesla charging infrastructure will be fine in the next 5 years. Will it be a few months away or 5 years away? That's the question.
That is exactly the question. We should be grateful to all the early adopters. But I am not yet prepared to be one, and I simply will not consider a Tesla. Even electric cars need repairs; I want there to be a dealer network as well as a charging network.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #52
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This is my nightmare.

Whats the deal? Why do you think you NEED access to Tesla Superchargers?

I've done several long XC trips and never even considered them as a charging source. ...and those trips were to/from the Midwest where charger density is the lowest (vs the east and west coasts).

You don't need Tesla chargers at all if you are simply willing to do a little trip planning...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 11:45 AM   #53
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

This thread is like an Abbott & Costello baseball-routine that just goes around and around in a never-ending cycle. My God, how long are going to beat this dead horse....?

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 01:51 PM   #54
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This thread is like an Abbott & Costello baseball-routine that just goes around and around in a never-ending cycle. My God, how long are going to beat this dead horse....?

Weren't you one of those who wanted to know about this? I'm interested because my next car will probably be electric and sorting out the charging issues is really interesting anyhow. I read Rob Siegel's Hack Mechanic pieces on fixiing up old BMWs in the BMWCCA publications too; the problem solving process is fascinating.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 02:01 PM   #55
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Weren't you one of those who wanted to know about this?
Nope, it was NewQ who started the post and authored the lion's share of the follow-up questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 06:05 PM   #56
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep

BMW group just announced they’re moving to the Tesla standard, and an adapter for models built prior to the change over.

I think this has pretty much removed most of my misgivings. They said early 2025, but I don’t plan on taking delivery of a vehicle for a year anyway, so I’m in good shape.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 10:42 PM   #57
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
BMW group just announced they’re moving to the Tesla standard, and an adapter for models built prior to the change over.

I think this has pretty much removed most of my misgivings. They said early 2025, but I don’t plan on taking delivery of a vehicle for a year anyway, so I’m in good shape.
That is truly spectacular news. THANK YOU for bringing it to the forum's attention. This means that sometime no earlier than this January (vis-à-vis the A2Z adapter and an agreement between Tesla and BMW), and no later than January 2025 (15 months away) at the latest, BMWs will be able to use CCS and Tesla Superchargers both! We'll be having our cake AND eating it too!

There should be no reason for one NOT to purchase a BMW with a CCS port today, at least insofar as how your car is ported. Whether you do so now, or wait until 2025 when they're NACS-ported, either way, one will still need to purchase and carry an adapter should one desire to enjoy the convenience of being able to use both DC fast-charger variants. Truly, it's six-of-one, half-dozen of the other....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 07:27 AM   #58
bmwterp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I5M60

Quote:
That is truly spectacular news. THANK YOU for bringing it to the forum's attention. This means that sometime no earlier than this January (vis-à-vis the A2Z adapter and an agreement between Tesla and BMW), and no later than January 2025 (15 months away) at the latest, BMWs will be able to use CCS and Tesla Superchargers both! We'll be having our cake AND eating it too!

There should be no reason for one NOT to purchase a BMW with a CCS port today, at least insofar as how your car is ported. Whether you do so now, or wait until 2025 when they're NACS-ported, either way, one will still need to purchase and carry an adapter should one desire to enjoy the convenience of being able to use both DC fast-charger variants. Truly, it's six-of-one, half-dozen of the other....
BTW-I think it means that they will be capable of using Tesla's SC network. Telsa will have to grant access to it. We know Tesla will open up some of it, the question is will they open up the entire network???
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:41 AM   #59
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...I'm interested because my next car will probably be electric and sorting out the charging issues is really interesting anyhow...
IMHO...

I wouldn't even CONSIDER buying an electric vehicle UNLESS you can charge at home on a nightly basis (240V - 50A - Level 2). Maybe even at work on a daily basis as an alternative. But there is no way I would buy an EV if I have to routinely charge at a public station. In fact, if you charge at home, EV's are MUCH more convenient than ICE vehicles as a Daily Driver.

Also, EV's are also probably not your best choice if you only own one car and you do frequent long XC trips. (...even if you CAN charge at home) ICE cars are better suited for long distance travel unless you really enjoy the pre-planning required by EV's...

So... If you can charge at home, and don't need the car for long XC trips, then there really shouldn't be ANY "charging issues"!

$0.02
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:36 PM   #60
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
IMHO...

I wouldn't even CONSIDER buying an electric vehicle UNLESS you can charge at home on a nightly basis (240V - 50A - Level 2). Maybe even at work on a daily basis as an alternative. But there is no way I would buy an EV if I have to routinely charge at a public station. In fact, if you charge at home, EV's are MUCH more convenient than ICE vehicles as a Daily Driver.

Also, EV's are also probably not your best choice if you only own one car and you do frequent long XC trips. (...even if you CAN charge at home) ICE cars are better suited for long distance travel unless you really enjoy the pre-planning required by EV's...

So... If you can charge at home, and don't need the car for long XC trips, then there really shouldn't be ANY "charging issues"!

$0.02
Two cents taken. I would be able to charge at home (after installing appropriate circuit/outlet) and it wouldn't be my only car. But I would like to be able to do a trip that is 200 miles roundtrip without having to charge, with a substantial margin of error. Also would be charging at a second home where I'd like to avoid putting in a new circuit, so that would be house current, but also could be for 24 hours. And it likely would not be until 2026 or even 2027 and I have to assume that the infrastructure will be significantly better.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #61
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Two cents taken. I would be able to charge at home (after installing appropriate circuit/outlet) and it wouldn't be my only car. But I would like to be able to do a trip that is 200 miles roundtrip without having to charge, with a substantial margin of error. Also would be charging at a second home where I'd like to avoid putting in a new circuit, so that would be house current, but also could be for 24 hours. And it likely would not be until 2026 or even 2027 and I have to assume that the infrastructure will be significantly better.
I do 200 mile round-trips all the time in my iXM60 (central Wisconsin to Chicago O'Hare). Its not a big deal. I usually still have 60-70 miles in the bank when I get home. Thats a pretty reliable margin! If you have a 300 mile range, then a 200 mile trip is no big deal. The excess range, and onboard prediction, is very reliable.

For a second home (or a relative's home), just make sure you have a portable level-2 charger that will do either 120V or 240V. (You should always carry one anyway for long trips). I use the 240V/30A drier outlet at my Aunt's house when I'm there overnight. Buy a flexible charger and any outlet adapters you might need. I always have a Nema 14-50 (4-prong RV), Nema 6-50 (3-prong Welder), and Nema 14-30 (Drier) adapters in my travel kit. (...and also a standard Nema 5-15 120v adapter if things ever got REALLY bad)

Here's a travel charger I own and recommend for BOTH 120V and/or 240V charging which also has a bunch of adapters ($380): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RLQXMN5
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 02:58 PM   #62
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Here's a travel charger I own and recommend for BOTH 120V and/or 240V charging which also has a bunch of adapters ($380): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RLQXMN5
I also heard good things about and purchased a Mustart EVSE which I got on Amazon for $219 after applying their $50 coupon and Amazon's $60 Lightening Deal -- both of which occasionally are offered (not to mention BFriday coming up). However, mine is the 40amp, 240V model only, so I've installed this in my garage and will keep the 240/120V BMW fast charger and plugs that come with the i7 in my vehicle to use at friends/relatives homes.

Now if I could just GET my i7 so I can actually plug this stuff IN.... haha (my car is currently at Status 180 - Awaiting Carrier Assignment, in Munich).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 04:46 PM   #63
SW17LS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mercedes S560

Great news!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 09:06 PM   #64
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep

I would have a home charger so 95% of the time, charging won’t be a problem. But the first time you’re downloading an app and inputting credit card information on your phone in the pouring rain just to find out the charger is downrated or broken, and you’ve added an hour to your trip, is enough to make all the criticisms valid and depressingly real.

We do have a second car, but it’s a 2 series, and I’m not about to sacrifice the experience of a 7 series in exchange for a 2 series on a long trip, especially when the 7 is designed for that kind of travel. And how pathetic would that be that you have to squeeze into a 2 series because your luxurious $150K car can’t handle the very thing it was designed to do?

I digress, because with the Tesla charger announcement, this should be a (relatively) moot point.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #65
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I also heard good things about and purchased a Mustart EVSE which I got on Amazon for $219 after applying their $50 coupon and Amazon's $60 Lightening Deal -- both of which occasionally are offered (not to mention BFriday coming up). However, mine is the 40amp, 240V model only, so I've installed this in my garage and will keep the 240/120V BMW fast charger and plugs that come with the i7 in my vehicle to use at friends/relatives homes.

Now if I could just GET my i7 so I can actually plug this stuff IN.... haha (my car is currently at Status 180 - Awaiting Carrier Assignment, in Munich).
I'm at 150 now with production just started. :-) My car had to wait until week 43 production to get the ZMQ option with the shadowline trim. I'm anticipating a PDC delivery sometime at the end of Dec.

I also had that exact charger in my garage. Its one of the few semi-portable (not wall mounted) chargers which will provide a full 40A.

However I switched to Autel chargers when I added a second charger. The Autels will do load balancing to be sure the combined load doesn't exceed a specified value. Although each charger is on a dedicated 50A circuit (40A usable), I have the Autels set to limit the combined draw to 50A since I have a 100A sub-panel in my garage with other services on it as well. Although its only me and my wife, we have three EV's in the garage and sometimes we have "charging overlap". All cars will be fully charged to their "daily" capacity (80%) by morning in any case...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 10:08 AM   #66
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I would have a home charger so 95% of the time, charging won’t be a problem. But the first time you’re downloading an app and inputting credit card information on your phone in the pouring rain just to find out the charger is downrated or broken, and you’ve added an hour to your trip, is enough to make all the criticisms valid and depressingly real.

We do have a second car, but it’s a 2 series, and I’m not about to sacrifice the experience of a 7 series in exchange for a 2 series on a long trip, especially when the 7 is designed for that kind of travel. And how pathetic would that be that you have to squeeze into a 2 series because your luxurious $150K car can’t handle the very thing it was designed to do?

I digress, because with the Tesla charger announcement, this should be a (relatively) moot point.
Download the app and register the credit card info BEFORE you start your trip. Maybe even go to a nearby charger and run a test charge (as I did).

Plan with ABRP but check the status of each of your planned charging stops using PlugShare. Folks will tell you if stations are having issues in real time. This should eliminate most of your surprises.

But yes, I have rolled into charging stops (twice) and NONE of the stations were working. No calls to anyone (EA) would solve that. Always have another stop available further down the road (not behind you) just in case.

Also, don't rely on the BMW free charging. Make sure you have a Credit Card registered with your EA account (or other provider). If the BMW back-end logistics are having problems getting you the "free" charge (you paid for), it can be a lot easier to just run it manually. I have had this issue with both BMW and Porsche "free" charging. You don't want to be fighting with this while on the road (or in the rain)...

Can't say it enough: Planning is everything!
Appreciate 0