BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-08-2020, 09:56 PM   #1
Mike335xi
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Garage List
2016 bmw 740i  [0.00]
G12 740i ambient/outside air temp sensor location

I recently picked up a 2016 740i. It has a few outside air temp codes when I read the obd scan. The newtis.info site show this picture of it and it is suppose to be inside the driver side bumper. I have peeled back the slash guard be the tire under the fender and pulled the bumper half way off and can find the pictured sensor anywhere. Not sure if it is missing or what. Does anyone know where this sensor is mounted and what harness the connector for the sensor is on? Any pictures of this connector and mounting location would be greatly appreciated! All the other posts from this site and other bmw forums show the sensor pushes through the under body splash guard on older model cars. I don't see a hole where it would push through on the g11/12 model. Im trying to avoid taking it into the dealer. A replacement sensor is cheap, just don't know where it connect to the harness and it mine is missing or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I see your mistake...you unfortunately missed that the temp sensor is on the RIGHT side of the car (the passenger side if you are LHD aka left-hand-drive). You can see at this direct link that the 1st sentence at the top (under preliminary work) mentions that the outside temp sensor is on the right side...but that page shows removing the panel from the LEFT front wheel but notes that the instructions are the same for the right side: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ter/1VnYaU0QE8

The outside temp sensor is B56...so if you use the TIS website and your VIN...then type “B56” in the search box...it will give you the installation location:

So to retrace the info on the TIS website...you should remove the front wheel well panel on the right side (passenger side since you are left hand drive {LHD}):

{this illustration is the front LEFT wheel well panel...but the RIGHT SIDE removal is the same...which is the one you need to remove to access the outside temp sensor}

When you’ve removed the front right wheel well panel...you should see the outside temp sensor harness (B56*1B or #1 in pic below)...the actual temp sensor (B56 or #2 in pic below) is located up inside the trim piece and appears it should slide out and down when you remove its electrical harness (see the 1st pic above that shows the location of the sensor (B56). It looks like BMW has come to their senses and has improved the placement of the ambient temp sensor from being sheered off by curbs and concrete parking strips by putting it higher up inside the car and in an airway path. But this also makes it harder to access:

Good luck.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-09-2020 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Mike335xi
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Garage List
2016 bmw 740i  [0.00]
Found it! Thank you for your help! I was looking on the wrong side. How did you find that 1st picture?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0