BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #1
wjones14
Captain
wjones14's Avatar
649
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Niantic CT

iTrader: (0)

Finally a test ride in a 6th Gen Camaro SS

I had been considering a Camaro SS since the 6th gen came out, but never to the point of wanting to actually trade mine for one. Mostly because the 2 Series is rather unique and the Camaro is not. The 1LE might change that. Folks are starting to get them now, and there are threads over on the camaro6 forums with BMW M and Porsche converts among them. The 1LE is a special car.

There are none within 60 miles of me, but there are some "regular" SS models nearby, so I went to drive one today to get the basic 6th gen experience.

Wow! My first thought was that it was like a race car. SO much more aggressive than the M235i. The main attraction is the 6.2L V8. Best factory exhaust sound I have ever heard. I think the exhaust was just the normal exhaust, and not the NPP dual mode exhaust that comes with the 1LE. Anyway, it was like a menacing tone whether I was accelerating, decelerating, or cruising steadily. Pops and snaps at all times. And the V8 was so responsive. The slightest throttle inputs make the car jump. But what do you expect when it's 455/455 output. I can't even imagine what it's like at full throttle since I've never driven a car that powerful.

I loved the steering. The flat-bottomed wheel is cool. The feel was direct and more twitchy than I expected. Very quick. In Normal mode on the SS the weight was perfect - a little heavier than my 2er in Sport mode - and no numbness.

My biggest concern was what the reviews were saying, that the visibility is horrible and a deal-breaker for some. And it's a rather large car. Turned out I was perfectly comfortable in that car from the minute I left the dealer lot. Very easy car to drive. The Recaro seats are comfortable, the driving position is fine, the clutch was light and predictable, the shifter hefty and precise. All the controls are good (except the weird electronic parking brake switch!). Even had a HUD!

I loved it.

The 1LE adds Magnetic ride control, extra cooling, 6-piston Brembos, tuned suspension, bigger wheels and tires, eLSD, plus interior and exterior cosmetic bits.

I am to the point of being excited about the 1LE.
__________________
Vehicles: 2021 Alpine White M2C 6MT; 2011 Kawasaki Z1000 (1/4 mile 10.3 seconds @ 129 mph - stock)
Previous: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2015 Mini Cooper F56 6MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT; 2003 Mini Cooper R50 5MT
Appreciate 4
prguy40.50
larryn2145.50
yousefnjr6154.50
      02-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
116
Rep
1,158
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

The 1LE was a game changer last gen and its again another game changer. The 1LE has been being delivered to dealers for a good month now, maybe even 2. I'm sure if you do a further search than 60 miles, you'll run across them.

It handles very, very well. I am still debating on a 1LE or a SS (4 door sedan). 2 different cars for 2 different worlds. Both are unique and rare. Because how many 1LE's or SS sedan do you see on the streets? I've only seen 1 5th gen 1LE and 1 SS sedan on the streets since they've been out.

People want to talk trash about the SS but the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 do extremely well on the road course. Its not just a Camaro, its a purposely built road course car. It has came a long way compared to what it was in the past.

Last gen interior (mainly the plastic on the both doors) was a turn off for me and thats why I didn't get a 5th gen. I want to sit in a 6th gen and hope its interior is better. The visibility issue you can overcome.
Appreciate 1
wjones14649.00
      02-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2890
Rep
3,464
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
I had been considering a Camaro SS since the 6th gen came out, but never to the point of wanting to actually trade mine for one. Mostly because the 2 Series is rather unique and the Camaro is not. The 1LE might change that. Folks are starting to get them now, and there are threads over on the camaro6 forums with BMW M and Porsche converts among them. The 1LE is a special car.

There are none within 60 miles of me, but there are some "regular" SS models nearby, so I went to drive one today to get the basic 6th gen experience.

Wow! My first thought was that it was like a race car. SO much more aggressive than the M235i. The main attraction is the 6.2L V8. Best factory exhaust sound I have ever heard. I think the exhaust was just the normal exhaust, and not the NPP dual mode exhaust that comes with the 1LE. Anyway, it was like a menacing tone whether I was accelerating, decelerating, or cruising steadily. Pops and snaps at all times. And the V8 was so responsive. The slightest throttle inputs make the car jump. But what do you expect when it's 455/455 output. I can't even imagine what it's like at full throttle since I've never driven a car that powerful.

I loved the steering. The flat-bottomed wheel is cool. The feel was direct and more twitchy than I expected. Very quick. In Normal mode on the SS the weight was perfect - a little heavier than my 2er in Sport mode - and no numbness.

My biggest concern was what the reviews were saying, that the visibility is horrible and a deal-breaker for some. And it's a rather large car. Turned out I was perfectly comfortable in that car from the minute I left the dealer lot. Very easy car to drive. The Recaro seats are comfortable, the driving position is fine, the clutch was light and predictable, the shifter hefty and precise. All the controls are good (except the weird electronic parking brake switch!). Even had a HUD!

I loved it.

The 1LE adds Magnetic ride control, extra cooling, 6-piston Brembos, tuned suspension, bigger wheels and tires, eLSD, plus interior and exterior cosmetic bits.

I am to the point of being excited about the 1LE.
The rear visibility is just as bad in my 428GC as my 2010 Camaro SS. You get used to it and adjusting SIDE mirrors correctly so they aren't redundant with the REAR mirror is critical, but backup sensors and cameras make most issues non existent, you adapt. Lots of people are used to econo-box seating and SUVs though, so these people will likely never be comfortable in a low slung sports car.

I'm debating going back to 2 cars, a 1LE and something for all seasons, just because my SS with suspension upgrades was so much fun to drive. The handling and balance were way beyond what I've experienced in my and other BMWs. An M3/4/5 or similar is on the table, but for the price I can get a good 1LE and something else and it's doubtful those Ms would match the fun of the 1LE.
Appreciate 1
David701567.00
      02-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #4
wjones14
Captain
wjones14's Avatar
649
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Niantic CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
The 1LE was a game changer last gen and its again another game changer. The 1LE has been being delivered to dealers for a good month now, maybe even 2. I'm sure if you do a further search than 60 miles, you'll run across them.

It handles very, very well. I am still debating on a 1LE or a SS (4 door sedan). 2 different cars for 2 different worlds. Both are unique and rare. Because how many 1LE's or SS sedan do you see on the streets? I've only seen 1 5th gen 1LE and 1 SS sedan on the streets since they've been out.

People want to talk trash about the SS but the 1LE, ZL1 and Z/28 do extremely well on the road course. Its not just a Camaro, its a purposely built road course car. It has came a long way compared to what it was in the past.

Last gen interior (mainly the plastic on the both doors) was a turn off for me and thats why I didn't get a 5th gen. I want to sit in a 6th gen and hope its interior is better. The visibility issue you can overcome.
Supposedly the 6th gen interior quality is improved over the 5th gen. I had no problems with the interior in the 2SS I test drove. The 1LE has unique seats with suede inserts I think, so I haven't seen those yet.

You're right about how rare the 5th gen 1LE and the Chevy SS models are. The 6th gen 1LE might be more popular, but that remains to be seen. Too bad the Chevy SS is being discontinued though. It's the ultimate sleeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
I'm debating going back to 2 cars, a 1LE and something for all seasons, just because my SS with suspension upgrades was so much fun to drive. The handling and balance were way beyond what I've experienced in my and other BMWs. An M3/4/5 or similar is on the table, but for the price I can get a good 1LE and something else and it's doubtful those Ms would match the fun of the 1LE.
The driving experience is night and day between the M235i and Camaro SS. The Camaro is so visceral. If someone was leaning towards a luxury sports car, the BMW is the way to go. The BMW is definitely fun to drive, but it's sort of a buttoned-down fun. The Camaro is like an overpowering bully you can't ignore. On a 1 to 10 scale for fun factor, it's a 10.
__________________
Vehicles: 2021 Alpine White M2C 6MT; 2011 Kawasaki Z1000 (1/4 mile 10.3 seconds @ 129 mph - stock)
Previous: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2015 Mini Cooper F56 6MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT; 2003 Mini Cooper R50 5MT
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
jkrig
First Lieutenant
jkrig's Avatar
74
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Virginia Beach

iTrader: (0)

If you search I bet you could probably get a good deal on the 1LE right now dealers got that eraly shipment and the buzz really hasn't hit yet, buddy of mine recently purchased a 17' SS 1LE , paid just over 38k because it sat on the lot for 2 months....the dealership was 2hrs away in a more rural part of the state so not sure how much that ffected the sale. I believe a couple of things may have limited the sale, the summer performance tires, the recaro seats while great looking are rather slim, I'm 6'2" 215ish I fit but, if you have 40" waist or bigger you are gonna a be uncomfortable.....lastly (sadly) is manual only option....
__________________
MHD Stage 1+ FMIC // VRSF 5" stepped// StopTech x-drilled Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramic Pads // Wiesslicht AE's // OEM Blacklines // Matte Kidneys // MonoChrome emblems.....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
2203
Rep
2,476
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
I liked the 6th Gen SS I drove. 1LE will not be available with auto trans so 1LE would be out for me. No interest in buying the car w/a manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
116
Rep
1,158
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

What? People hating on a manual only car? Wow. Thats a first.

By the way Satan....you owned a C6Z.....that was a manual only car......
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
FriskyDingo's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
755
Posts

Drives: Spiritedly
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Trapped In My Mind

iTrader: (0)

Eh. I have extensive time driving 6th Gen SS Camaros, and they just don't do it for me. For the money, I'd much rather have a 5th Gen ZL1 or Z/28. Both far more enjoyable to drive, imo.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
TSM330i's Avatar
United_States
874
Rep
3,699
Posts

Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chester Springs, PA

iTrader: (2)

I priced up a 1LE on the Chevrolet website. Came out to $45K, which is unbelievably cheap when you consider it is every bit as fast as an M4 and will out handle it as well.
I also priced up an M2. It was $54K. I know the M2 is a stellar driving machine, but is it actually worth $9,000 more than the 1LE?
__________________
2017 Porsche C2 - manual of course
2015 GTI S
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe - because racecar
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
FriskyDingo's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
755
Posts

Drives: Spiritedly
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Trapped In My Mind

iTrader: (0)

I'd rather have an M2 over a Camaro 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
kprocivic's Avatar
813
Rep
1,575
Posts

Drives: ecoboost s to the t
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 92346

iTrader: (7)

I almost dropped the hammer on the 1le. backed out at the last minute. Excellent bang for the buck.
__________________
2.0l ecosmackkaa
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #12
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
2203
Rep
2,476
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
What? People hating on a manual only car? Wow. Thats a first.

By the way Satan....you owned a C6Z.....that was a manual only car......
Hating? WTF? I simply want an auto trans next. I have 3 cars & all are manual trans. Getting old. Plus I cannot shift faster than a computer.

I still own the Z06. 2 of my 3 cars came manual only. So?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
2203
Rep
2,476
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Eh. I have extensive time driving 6th Gen SS Camaros, and they just don't do it for me. For the money, I'd much rather have a 5th Gen ZL1 or Z/28. Both far more enjoyable to drive, imo.
Try the 6th gen ZL1 then.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
Thisisdudewhoru's Avatar
United_States
82
Rep
698
Posts

Drives: 16 BSM 340i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: 423

iTrader: (1)

I nearly bought a SS sedan. However I hated the interior... Just couldn't get over it. They could have put recaros in it at least. They look extremely bland in photos but looks quite aggressive in person. I would have had to swap in all the holden exterior bits though. Just couldn't bring myself to spend 50k on a Chevy either.

I also looked at ats-v and looks/performance are awesome but it sounds like ass and the cue interface is pure garbage. Complaints that the recaros coming apart, really loud chattering from waste gates, and the trans shifting like a minivan

My 340i isn't the fastest or best looking or coolest but it's by far the best choice for me in my opinion. It should hold its own after I'm done with it.

Last edited by Thisisdudewhoru; 02-06-2017 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:43 PM   #15
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
184
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haymarket, VA

iTrader: (1)

Interesting thread. There was a guy with a black 5th gen Z/28 at yesterday's winter track day (on wide all-seasons was slower than my M3 on all-seasons). He was a previous 135i owner and a big BMW fan. Bought the Z/28 but is now thinking of selling it for an E92 M3. I can't quote him directly, but more or less said the Z/28 isn't as exciting to drive as it initially seems.

The 6th gen SS 1LE would be on my radar if something happened to my M3. But to me, $45k is 997.2 911 money.... or a used '14 Cayman S, which will hold value significantly better than any Camaro.
__________________
2003 M3 | SMG | KW V1 | Apex ARC-8s | 3.85 LSD | Cobra Nogaro | S2R Tuning Sunroof Delete | Billy Boat Section 3
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #16
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2890
Rep
3,464
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilation View Post
Interesting thread. There was a guy with a black 5th gen Z/28 at yesterday's winter track day (on wide all-seasons was slower than my M3 on all-seasons). He was a previous 135i owner and a big BMW fan. Bought the Z/28 but is now thinking of selling it for an E92 M3. I can't quote him directly, but more or less said the Z/28 isn't as exciting to drive as it initially seems.

The 6th gen SS 1LE would be on my radar if something happened to my M3. But to me, $45k is 997.2 911 money.... or a used '14 Cayman S, which will hold value significantly better than any Camaro.
lol, that Z/28 is far, far faster than your M3.
__________________
Current: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2023 Colorado ZR2. Former: BMW 428i Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #17
Nihilation
Lieutenant
United_States
184
Rep
518
Posts

Drives: BMW M3, 328xi AT and 328i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haymarket, VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
lol, that Z/28 is far, far faster than your M3.
Should have been, yes. But on this tight course, no. Driver? Probably.

Not once did I say the Z/28 is a bad car. I'm just relaying the driver's sentiment - and the Z/28 owner wanted to ride in my M3.
__________________
2003 M3 | SMG | KW V1 | Apex ARC-8s | 3.85 LSD | Cobra Nogaro | S2R Tuning Sunroof Delete | Billy Boat Section 3
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #18
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
4463
Rep
9,160
Posts

Drives: Smog machines
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Selling a Z28 for an E92 M3 would be like selling a 488 for a Continental.

Of course putting all seasons on a Z28 should get you a trip to Guantanamo.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #19
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
FriskyDingo's Avatar
United_States
380
Rep
755
Posts

Drives: Spiritedly
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Trapped In My Mind

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sChariot View Post
Try the 6th gen ZL1 then.
I'd love to, but I no longer work at a GM store, so it might be a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #20
wjones14
Captain
wjones14's Avatar
649
Rep
885
Posts

Drives: 2021 M2C
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Niantic CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
I'd rather have an M2 over a Camaro 1LE.
Same here ... if price was no object.

I just configured a bare bones Summit White 1LE on Chevy's website, and it came to $44,400, minus a $1000 discount, for a final MSRP of $43,400.

That's a lot less than an M2, if you can get one.
__________________
Vehicles: 2021 Alpine White M2C 6MT; 2011 Kawasaki Z1000 (1/4 mile 10.3 seconds @ 129 mph - stock)
Previous: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2015 Mini Cooper F56 6MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT; 2003 Mini Cooper R50 5MT
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:41 PM   #21
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
116
Rep
1,158
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sChariot View Post
Hating? WTF? I simply want an auto trans next. I have 3 cars & all are manual trans. Getting old. Plus I cannot shift faster than a computer.

I still own the Z06. 2 of my 3 cars came manual only. So?
Sounds like hate to me. Back to back comments.

I only mentioned you C6Z since it was a manual only car, just like the 1LE.

I'm getting old too and want an auto because of the traffic I sit in, day to day. Plus something for the wife to drive but I'm sure she'll stay away from it since she doesn't like the feeling of going fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #22
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
2203
Rep
2,476
Posts

Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
Same here ... if price was no object.

I just configured a bare bones Summit White 1LE on Chevy's website, and it came to $44,400, minus a $1000 discount, for a final MSRP of $43,400.

That's a lot less than an M2, if you can get one.
Keep in mind one can surely get the 1LE below MSrp. Can an M2 be had below MSRP? Either way, I have no interest in buying either.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST