BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-09-2023, 11:20 AM   #67
///MPhatic
The Seeker
///MPhatic's Avatar
13745
Rep
3,290
Posts

Drives: OG M2 Exige
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with, the amount of people who can afford a $100k car, or saying the Toyota executive was lying about the cost?
Plenty of people can afford a $100K car, just look at the GTR numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Nope, I can't afford Boxster S optioned the way I would want it.
And I wouldn't own the car optioned any possible way.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:41 AM   #68
OkieSnuffBox
Major
1803
Rep
1,011
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Plenty of people can afford a $100K car, just look at the GTR numbers.
I specifically said enthusiasts. Sure there are enthusiasts with money, but most people can't afford a $100k car. Hell the vast majority of people don't even make $100k per year.

Using the GTR numbers, well you obviously haven't looked at them. You have to use like the last 4 years to hit 1000 sold?

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/nissan...sales-figures/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
And I wouldn't own the car optioned any possible way.
Good for you, I guess? Not sure what that has to do with me saying I can't afford a Boxster S optioned the way I would want it.

Even a Boxster S with no options is still $78k. And where I live that also means another $7k or so in sales tax/registration fees. So if I'm already spending almost $90k on a car, you can be sure I'm going to add the options I want.

Still not sure why this has gotten you so twisted up.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #69
///MPhatic
The Seeker
///MPhatic's Avatar
13745
Rep
3,290
Posts

Drives: OG M2 Exige
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I specifically said enthusiasts. Sure there are enthusiasts with money, but most people can't afford a $100k car. Hell the vast majority of people don't even make $100k per year.
Which has nothing at all to do with the price of the car they buy.

[QUOTE=OkieSnuffBox;29716586]Using the GTR numbers, well you obviously haven't looked at them. You have to use like the last 4 years to hit 1000 sold? [/url]

Sure I have, but I think you're missing the point of the GTR...


Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Good for you, I guess? Not sure what that has to do with me saying I can't afford a Boxster S optioned the way I would want it.

Still not sure why this has gotten you so twisted up.
I'm here for the M2, not fake Mustangs or Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 12:33 PM   #70
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
x622's Avatar
944
Rep
722
Posts

Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
here you go


That actually looks kind of cool. Like an even angrier urus.
__________________
Oy vey, look at all these shekels
Appreciate 3
ggunn9160.00
Efthreeoh17143.50
      01-09-2023, 12:39 PM   #71
OkieSnuffBox
Major
1803
Rep
1,011
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

[QUOTE=///MPhatic;29716774]Which has nothing at all to do with the price of the car they buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Using the GTR numbers, well you obviously haven't looked at them. You have to use like the last 4 years to hit 1000 sold? [/url]

Sure I have, but I think you're missing the point of the GTR...




I'm here for the M2, not fake Mustangs or Porsche.

No, you used the GTR as "proof" that enthusiasts will buy a $100k+ car and that many people can afford them. That the last four years they have only sold ~1000 of them seems pretty contradictory to your assertion.

Either way, you're just going to keep spewing nonsense, so enjoy your Monday.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 01:12 PM   #72
ggunn9
Private
ggunn9's Avatar
United_States
160
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X5
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: USA, Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
I would buy that Corvette EV!

This thread has gone a long way from talking about driving the Mach-e.
Note I did not call it a Mustang. Let's take that off the table.

I test drove a MME (Mustang Mach-e) GT this past weekend. What a ride. Torque for days. I love my X5, but I don't love premium gas prices. I don't love oil changes, spark plugs and other maintenance chores that go with ICE cars.

I have a reservation in for the new 2024 Chevy Blazer EV SS and I am considering getting a Mach-e/MME GT. Why would I get tired of the go pedal. That is why I bought the BMW.

BMW and MME on a Hyundai lot. Dealers buy cars at auctions ALL the time. Most car lots have cars from other makers on them.

I am excited about getting in an EV. It will be the Blazer SS EV or the MME

Original poster are you going to get the MME? I want it in the GT trim Dark gray matter. The flower power wheels are coming off ASAP. lol
__________________
'13 Toyota 4Runner(sold)
'16 Suzuki GSX-R750 motorcycle(sold)
'18 X5 F15 sdrive stg 1 (sold Aug 23)
'23 Tesla Model Y Perf

Last edited by ggunn9; 01-09-2023 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:06 PM   #73
HeelToeShift
Major
2065
Rep
1,027
Posts

Drives: Mine
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Here

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunn9 View Post
I would buy that Corvette EV!

This thread has gone a long way from talking about driving the Mach-e.
Note I did not call it a Mustang. Let's take that off the table.

I test drove a MME (Mustang Mach-e) GT this past weekend. What a ride. Torque for days. I love my X5, but I don't love premium gas prices. I don't love oil changes, spark plugs and other maintenance chores that go with ICE cars.

I have a reservation in for the new 2024 Chevy Blazer EV SS and I am considering getting a Mach-e/MME GT. Why would I get tired of the go pedal. That is why I bought the BMW.

BMW and MME on a Hyundai lot. Dealers buy cars at auctions ALL the time. Most car lots have cars from other makers on them.

I am excited about getting in an EV. It will be the Blazer SS EV or the MME

Original poster are you going to get the MME? I want it in the GT trim Dark gray matter. The flower power wheels are coming off ASAP. lol
That's why I ended up with the Performance package on mine. Loved the wheels but bought the flower wheels with all seasons for winter/cold months.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:08 PM   #74
///MPhatic
The Seeker
///MPhatic's Avatar
13745
Rep
3,290
Posts

Drives: OG M2 Exige
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
No, you used the GTR as "proof" that enthusiasts will buy a $100k+ car and that many people can afford them. That the last four years they have only sold ~1000 of them seems pretty contradictory to your assertion.
The GTR isn't the only car in that price range, I just used it as an example. It's also a halo car, and Nissan loses money on every single one sold, just like so many halo cars in the past.

You're looking at this from a very linear perspective, and I'm offering a more salient view, you're just not seeing it.

The collaboration undoubtedly made good business sense in the short term, but will come back to haunt them.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 02:56 PM   #75
ggunn9
Private
ggunn9's Avatar
United_States
160
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2018 BMW X5
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: USA, Georgia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
That's why I ended up with the Performance package on mine. Loved the wheels but bought the flower wheels with all seasons for winter/cold months.
That's a lot of money for better wheels.

I like the wheels on this one, but the flower wheels gotta GO.
Attached Images
 
__________________
'13 Toyota 4Runner(sold)
'16 Suzuki GSX-R750 motorcycle(sold)
'18 X5 F15 sdrive stg 1 (sold Aug 23)
'23 Tesla Model Y Perf
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 07:34 AM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17144
Rep
18,672
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Here's the problem with EVs. I just bought a Bronco Black Diamond in July last year. 2-door manual. EPA MPG is 18. I use 93 octane in it. The price difference between the 2023 Mach E Premium extended range and the 2023 Black Diamond is $22,235. Both vehicles have a 300+ mile range (Bronco has a 17-gallon tank). The price delta of $22.2K between the Bronco and E-Stang equates to 107,250 miles of travel in the Bronco @ $3.95 per gallon for fuel. I'll not live long enough to drive 101,325 in either vehicle. Even at 10,000 miles a year, that's 10 years to get back to even with the E-Stang and my calculations don't include the cost of electric fuel for the Mustang. Subtract out the $4,900 the EPA says it will cost ($1.21 per 245 miles) to drive the E-Stang 101,325 miles from the price delta and the miles pay back drops to 78,975 miles.

To me, it just doesn't justify buying a 300-mile range-limited EV SUV over an 18 MPG ICE SUV that I can refuel in 5 minutes every 300 miles and still drive a manual transmission.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-10-2023 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 02:45 PM   #77
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2398
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Here's the problem with EVs. I just bought a Bronco Black Diamond in July last year. 2-door manual. EPA MPG is 18. I use 93 octane in it. The price difference between the 2023 Mach E Premium extended range and the 2023 Black Diamond is $22,235. Both vehicles have a 300+ mile range (Bronco has a 17-gallon tank). The price delta of $22.2K between the Bronco and E-Stang equates to 107,250 miles of travel in the Bronco @ $3.95 per gallon for fuel. I'll not live long enough to drive 101,325 in either vehicle. Even at 10,000 miles a year, that's 10 years to get back to even with the E-Stang and my calculations don't include the cost of electric fuel for the Mustang. Subtract out the $4,900 the EPA says it will cost ($1.21 per 245 miles) to drive the E-Stang 101,325 miles from the price delta and the miles pay back drops to 78,975 miles.

To me, it just doesn't justify buying a 300-mile range-limited EV SUV over an 18 MPG ICE SUV that I can refuel in 5 minutes every 300 miles and still drive a manual transmission.
two totally different animals tho at the end of the day....

the base price on a base Mach-E is almost the same as the Bronco Black Diamond after you take the $7500 credit

The GT is $20K more than the base, but to some it is well worth it...that thing is a blast, literally....

I think most people buy these type of cars(MME, Broncos) as toys and not their sole means of transportation anyways.

I have a 2021 4-door Rubicon, but wouldn't compare it to a Mach E as it is for completely different purposes, but unfortunately would have to sell it to afford the GT....




I'm most likely to ditch my BMW(F32) for a used Model 3 AWD for my EV fix.


btw, how do you like the Bronco? pics?
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2023, 05:42 PM   #78
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
17144
Rep
18,672
Posts

Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
two totally different animals tho at the end of the day....

the base price on a base Mach-E is almost the same as the Bronco Black Diamond after you take the $7500 credit

The GT is $20K more than the base, but to some it is well worth it...that thing is a blast, literally....

I think most people buy these type of cars(MME, Broncos) as toys and not their sole means of transportation anyways.

I have a 2021 4-door Rubicon, but wouldn't compare it to a Mach E as it is for completely different purposes, but unfortunately would have to sell it to afford the GT....




I'm most likely to ditch my BMW(F32) for a used Model 3 AWD for my EV fix.


btw, how do you like the Bronco? pics?
Understood they are different animals as both are SUVs with one a road oriented machine and one a offroad oriented machine. But in 2-year wait for the Bronco, my employment status changed and I now drive just 125 miles a week vs. 165 day for the previous 15 years. So, an EV would totally work for my commute now, where in the past it wouldn't, and the Mach-E really interested me except for the Tesla dash emulation. The iPad tablet really kept me away. Like you, I dig the EV torque curve and the single-speed automatic. Giving up a manual is tolerable with the EV drivetrain characteristics. So, for me that's where the Bronco/E-Stang comparison came from. Yet plug in any other Ford ICE SUV of similar EPA size class and the math still works the same in favor of the ICE. And that is my point. The battery cost just kills the total ownership value. Just to observe, the 300-mile range E-Stang is $65K and doesn't qualify for the tax credit. 300 mile range is important to the comparison.

I like the Bronco a lot. I didn't much at first, but because I can flip it for $10K in profit I decided to let it grow on me. The 2.3L Ecoboost has plenty of grunt. The transmission and clutch have worked in well (meaning I'm now used to them) and I'm now used to the seating position, so everything feels familiar when I get in it. The Bronco gets up and at speed faster than you think it should be. It doesn't drive quick like a BMW 3-series does, but it shouldn't either. It's not my first "Jeep" either. I had a 1995 Wrangler for 14 years. The Black Diamond is a Cadillac in comparison to the YJ. My Bronco is pulling a lifetime MPG of 20.4. Damned good in my book. I look forward to driving it when I get a chance to, which means once a week; I have too many cars now. LOL.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-11-2023 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2023, 09:16 AM   #79
billnchristy
Major
1602
Rep
1,480
Posts

Drives: 2022 M440xi GC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Since we're hijacking here's our black diamond. We have the 2.7 and I just installed the ford tune, really woke her up. We're loving ours and I'll be installing a 3 light kit in the bumper this weekend. We got driving lights, white fogs, and amber fogs. I'm also adding a small spot light to the ditch flood lights on the a-pillar.

In total we'll have over 30k lumens available if all lights on, not counting headlights. Should be able to see just about anything on a dark trail after that!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2023, 04:27 PM   #80
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2398
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunn9 View Post
I would buy that Corvette EV!

This thread has gone a long way from talking about driving the Mach-e.
Note I did not call it a Mustang. Let's take that off the table.

I test drove a MME (Mustang Mach-e) GT this past weekend. What a ride. Torque for days. I love my X5, but I don't love premium gas prices. I don't love oil changes, spark plugs and other maintenance chores that go with ICE cars.

I have a reservation in for the new 2024 Chevy Blazer EV SS and I am considering getting a Mach-e/MME GT. Why would I get tired of the go pedal. That is why I bought the BMW.

BMW and MME on a Hyundai lot. Dealers buy cars at auctions ALL the time. Most car lots have cars from other makers on them.

I am excited about getting in an EV. It will be the Blazer SS EV or the MME

Original poster are you going to get the MME? I want it in the GT trim Dark gray matter. The flower power wheels are coming off ASAP. lol
Tesla slashed prices yesterday so now I'm currently trying to figure out how to get a Model 3 Performance ...
0-60 in 3.1 seconds for under $55K and never have to put gas in it...shut up and take my money!!!
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST