BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-16-2023, 06:49 PM   #67
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2400
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I got a friend with a 718 they just bought with the 6cyl and it died on them, got it checked out, bad rings in a cylinder and recommended full rebuild.

Part of this though is the 10 year old used car. You buy a 10 year old used car or older...expect issues. People tend to have a nostalgic view of cars they owned they bought new or somewhere much closer to. In many cases, you are going to be dumping money into it. I've had a few used cars and more than a few had notable issues...issues that could be or were fixed, but I've kind of learned that lesson, that more than 10 years old is going to be a "mechanics special" in many ways, whether you do the work or someone else does.

Properly maintained, a Porsche will do great at the track and you can beat it over and over.
Except there is no such thing as a 10 year old 718

2017 was the first year for the 718

he probably had a 987 which was two generations ago and some years had issues with those one
Appreciate 4
RM72892.50
slilley45.50
c1pher4671.50
tigermack474.50
      11-18-2023, 03:28 PM   #68
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2400
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
To me doesn't matter if I got all the money in the world, out of these choices, it would be the Miata cuz I only drive on public roads and don't track. Some ppl buy for prestige or ego and that's cool but when even my car's too powerful for the streets, it gets pointless chasing numbers for numbers' sake unless one wants to break traffic laws.
sorry, but if you had all the money in the world you wouldn't be driving as Miata, let's not get carried away here



you can still break plenty of traffic laws in a Miata, just won't look cool doing it
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 03:32 PM   #69
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2400
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I wanted to become a member of the Pcar family but 'un/fortunately', I still place importance in *value*, and -for me- it didn't make sense
------ All this affects how some ppl want to be viewed by others, and they don't even really bother w what is actually the better driver's car but rather the image of a certain model and the sound...I had an old thread where a lot ppl would choose a wicked-sounding car that handled like crap instead of an awesome handling car that sounded bad, which is just totally missing the mark if one claims to be a true driving enthusiast.
probably why so many people buy Mustangs
Appreciate 1
gblansten1975.00
      11-18-2023, 04:10 PM   #70
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
3244
Rep
3,195
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
sorry, but if you had all the money in the world you wouldn't be driving as Miata, let's not get carried away here



you can still break plenty of traffic laws in a Miata, just won't look cool doing it
Yes, but read again: I said out of all the cars he referred-to therein. I disagree though, the MX-5 is still cool for those in the know.

Imma be like every guy here and probably gonna get an exotic or two, but I'm not gonna go crazy like them though.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 04:16 PM   #71
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Clark_Kent's Avatar
2228
Rep
1,897
Posts

Drives: Retired
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Yes, but read again: I said out of all the cars he referred-to therein. I disagree though, the MX-5 is still cool for those in the know.

Imma be like every guy here and probably gonna get an exotic or two, but I'm not gonna go crazy like them though.
I guess I'm not in the know then. I never got on the Mazda Miata bandwagon, shit was too full I suppose. Nothing about that car has ever appealed to me.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 06:23 PM   #72
Pauly Wauly
Private
2180
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: BMW 560X
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Medes N.

iTrader: (0)

I love all these people who say I can afford this car or that car, but I bought a Miata because it`s a best handling car for the money.
I drove my friends 2001 Miata special edition quite a few times, and it was a very underpowered car, and small too. I`m only 5`9", but I felt like I was driving a toy car.
He didn`t even like it. He bought it because everyone was saying that the Miata was the best handling car for the money, but he hated it so much that he sold it two years after he bought it, and bought a Corvette C6 Z51 vert.
__________________
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 1
chassis6531.50
      11-18-2023, 06:34 PM   #73
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
3244
Rep
3,195
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I guess I'm not in the know then. I never got on the Mazda Miata bandwagon, shit was too full I suppose. Nothing about that car has ever appealed to me.
Like I said in my previous posts, lots of ppl buy for prestige or ego and that's cool and all but I prefer handling as the main criterion for sportscars. I don't understand why ppl wanna get overpowered/heavy cars when they just drive on public roads, but ppl can do whatever they want.

Tbh, the MX-5 never appealed to me until the RF not because I didn't respect its sportiness, I just dislike ragtops.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 06:38 PM   #74
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
3244
Rep
3,195
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wauly View Post
I love all these people who say I can afford this car or that car, but I bought a Miata because it`s a best handling car for the money.
I drove my friends 2001 Miata special edition quite a few times, and it was a very underpowered car, and small too. I`m only 5`9", but I felt like I was driving a toy car.
He didn`t even like it. He bought it because everyone was saying that the Miata was the best handling car for the money, but he hated it so much that he sold it two years after he bought it, and bought a Corvette C6 Z51 vert.
I really question ppl who don't know themselves...how can one (presumably) test drive a car and decide it's for him, and then totally do a 180 and say it sucks? I mean, when I bought my car, a few years afterwards I didn't like the style of the wheels, but the whole driving exp they totally missed out on analyzing until now? ...and from MX-5 to Corvette is just hilarious, might as well be Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #75
Pauly Wauly
Private
2180
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: BMW 560X
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Medes N.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I really question ppl who don't know themselves...how can one (presumably) test drive a car and decide it's for him, and then totally do a 180 and say it sucks? I mean, when I bought my car, a few years afterwards I didn't like the style of the wheels, but the whole driving exp they totally missed out on analyzing until now? ...and from MX-5 to Corvette is just hilarious, might as well be Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn.
Yeah, I don`t know what was going through his mind when he did that.
I still don`t think he`s going to be happy with the Vette because he always wanted a Mustang GT vert, and some how he bought a Vette
__________________
Karma is real!!!....You keep doing people dirty and being a complete asshole and think God is going to bless you. It may not be today, or tomorrow, or next week, but what goes around comes back around. And when that bitch comes for you it`ll be tenfold!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 07:42 PM   #76
SoCal_NSX
Major
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
2400
Rep
1,358
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Center of the Universe

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I really question ppl who don't know themselves...how can one (presumably) test drive a car and decide it's for him, and then totally do a 180 and say it sucks? I mean, when I bought my car, a few years afterwards I didn't like the style of the wheels, but the whole driving exp they totally missed out on analyzing until now? ...and from MX-5 to Corvette is just hilarious, might as well be Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn.
actually that would be more like going from the Vette to the Miata
Appreciate 1
lakefront560.50
      11-18-2023, 08:39 PM   #77
ttaidapos
Private First Class
106
Rep
165
Posts

Drives: Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV, M2 G87
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (0)

If you want insight on the Giulia QV let me know. I have two Alfas and selling my current Giulia after 6yrs for my first BMW, an M2.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:14 PM   #78
tranquility
sportscars only
tranquility's Avatar
Canada
3244
Rep
3,195
Posts

Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montréal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
actually that would be more like going from the Vette to the Miata
Nah, and I'm just highlighting the crazy extremes, but tbh I'd rather be in a MX-5 RF than any vette. Just not my cup of tea.
__________________
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:40 PM   #79
Alfisti
Brigadier General
6501
Rep
3,031
Posts

Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

All this is doing is outlining why Porsche sells so many cars and at a premium price. Handling, agility and power .... just need to pay for it.
Appreciate 3
RM72892.50
c1pher4671.50
      11-18-2023, 10:20 PM   #80
RM7
Brigadier General
RM7's Avatar
2893
Rep
3,468
Posts

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wauly View Post
I love all these people who say I can afford this car or that car, but I bought a Miata because it`s a best handling car for the money.
I drove my friends 2001 Miata special edition quite a few times, and it was a very underpowered car, and small too. I`m only 5`9", but I felt like I was driving a toy car.
He didn`t even like it. He bought it because everyone was saying that the Miata was the best handling car for the money, but he hated it so much that he sold it two years after he bought it, and bought a Corvette C6 Z51 vert.
I like what James of Trottlehouse has done with his new Miata. 180hp, all the amenities, coil-overs to fix the crazy floaty chassis movement...and it's all buttoned down. It looks like a blast to drive. And 180hp still relatively lightweight, it's going to be a blast.
__________________
Current: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2023 Colorado ZR2. Former: BMW 428i Gran Coupe.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00
      11-18-2023, 10:37 PM   #81
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5324
Rep
1,907
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wauly View Post
I love all these people who say I can afford this car or that car, but I bought a Miata because it`s a best handling car for the money.
I drove my friends 2001 Miata special edition quite a few times, and it was a very underpowered car, and small too. I`m only 5`9", but I felt like I was driving a toy car.
He didn`t even like it. He bought it because everyone was saying that the Miata was the best handling car for the money, but he hated it so much that he sold it two years after he bought it, and bought a Corvette C6 Z51 vert.
That's the key phrase. Is the boxster better than the miata? Objectively yes. However is it twice as good? Not to me and if money were of no concern at all I would definitely not have a miata... but I also wouldn't have a boxster.

I would probably have some obscene exotics, but I would also definitely have a mint condition Z4MR.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 10:40 PM   #82
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5324
Rep
1,907
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
actually that would be more like going from the Vette to the Miata
I went from a camaro to a vette to a mustang to a miata.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:48 PM   #83
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1080
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
That's the key phrase. Is the boxster better than the miata? Objectively yes. However is it twice as good? Not to me and if money were of no concern at all I would definitely not have a miata... but I also wouldn't have a boxster.

I would probably have some obscene exotics, but I would also definitely have a mint condition Z4MR.
Objectively how? Because the price tag is higher?

Money no object, I'd still have a Miata (likely more than 1) in the stable. There is a reason they have their own racing class & the phrase "Miata is always the answer" is out there. It's true...

Miata or Elise/Exige is a tough one...
__________________
2018 Charger Hellcat
2019 Miata 30th Anniversary
2021 CX-5 Signature
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:50 PM   #84
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Donatello.'s Avatar
1080
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: Hellcat & Miata
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I went from a camaro to a vette to a mustang to a miata.
I've owned Vettes & Miatas. Both are awesome. The Vette goes straight much faster, of course. Fun factor for a street car? Miata gets the nod IMO.
__________________
2018 Charger Hellcat
2019 Miata 30th Anniversary
2021 CX-5 Signature
2009 Mazda6
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 10:54 PM   #85
tigermack
OPN DIFF
tigermack's Avatar
Hong Kong
475
Rep
1,908
Posts

Drives: 10' E90 M3 6MT LB
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pacific Ocean

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2010 M3  [0.00]
1995 BMW e36 325i  [7.91]
2006 BMW e90 330i  [8.34]
I wouldn't get rid of the E9XM for anything less than a GT3/4. The cayman in manual has super long gearing compared to the PDK.
__________________
'10 LB E90 slicktop/speed cloth/6MT
ex. '06 330i 6MT & '10 n54 6MT Msport

Autocross vids https://www.youtube.com/user/tigermack
https://www.instagram.com/tigermack
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 11:15 PM   #86
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
5324
Rep
1,907
Posts

Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida & NC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
Objectively how? Because the price tag is higher?

Money no object, I'd still have a Miata (likely more than 1) in the stable. There is a reason they have their own racing class & the phrase "Miata is always the answer" is out there. It's true...

Miata or Elise/Exige is a tough one...
Objectively meaning spec wise, it has more power, it's mid engine etc. How that translates to subjective metrics we can discuss all day.

To be honest if money were no consideration at all and I was ridiculously rich then I probably would own a miata, probably one from each generation AND some boxsters. I would probably have multiple warehouses full of cars ala Jay Leno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello. View Post
I've owned Vettes & Miatas. Both are awesome. The Vette goes straight much faster, of course. Fun factor for a street car? Miata gets the nod IMO.
Depends for me. I keep the miata in NC. I have no desire to own the same miata in FL. Much rather have the vette or even my model 3 in FL. All my driving in FL is flat straight roads and traffic. In NC most of my driving is up and down mountain roads with minimal traffic and IMO that's where the miata and other lower power, great handling cars shine. I did have my mustang in NC for a while before I sold it and honestly not nearly as fun as the miata here on the winding roads. So yeah I think it depends.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 01:27 AM   #87
D22M2
Captain
1373
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: Not a real M Car
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Dublin , CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wauly View Post
I love all these people who say I can afford this car or that car, but I bought a Miata because it`s a best handling car for the money.
I drove my friends 2001 Miata special edition quite a few times, and it was a very underpowered car, and small too. I`m only 5`9", but I felt like I was driving a toy car.
He didn`t even like it. He bought it because everyone was saying that the Miata was the best handling car for the money, but he hated it so much that he sold it two years after he bought it, and bought a Corvette C6 Z51 vert.
I smell 100% bullsh*t - stop lying to make a point
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2023, 11:00 PM   #88
kontol babi
New Member
25
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 320i f30 N20 EWG
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: none

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Will be replacing my car in the next 1-2 yrs, Porsche dealer called stating they have allocations, so I went to test drive the Boxster for first time in 6 years.

I came away feeling flat. The base engine belongs in a tractor, and while the S is better it doesn't warrant $90k+ for a car with a couple options. My car steers faster and handles 90% as well for 40% the cost. Am I onto something or am I totally off the mark?

Would not pay more than $65k for this car. Always loved Porsche, but their pricing is ridiculous. The Boxster is a 10 yr old car now with a 10 yr old interior, what's the point of buying new? I'm gonna take a hard look at the BMW M2 and Giulia QV for my next ride...

Any Porsche fans here who disagree and wanna talk some sense into me, I'm all ears...
M2 is the way to go mate , base level porsche always sucks avoid it at all cost , you will start to smile only at cayman gts below that you will wonder why they cost that expensive when our bimmer with fraction of the price could perform / out perform these base level porsche
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST