BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
moebeamer
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7 series

Is this a good deal?

Hi guys,
I will be joining the bmw family pretty soon as I'm shopping around for a 7 series at the moment. Im checking out a few cars and am leaning towards getting a 740 as opposed to a 750 because of the known N63 issues. The B58 is bulletproof from what I've read so far. Can anybody comment if that is true or not? So one of the deals ive worked out have been as follows:
2016 740i
Price: $33,083 + taxes + reg = 35,524 out the door.
This car has 40k miles and has the m sport plus drivers assistance package. Thats about it. I really wanted to get the luxury rear seating package and the bowers/wilkins but i don't think thats available in 740's. :/
I'd appreciate any feedback on if this is a good deal or not.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
J0nasH
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebeamer View Post
Hi guys,
I will be joining the bmw family pretty soon as I'm shopping around for a 7 series at the moment. Im checking out a few cars and am leaning towards getting a 740 as opposed to a 750 because of the known N63 issues. The B58 is bulletproof from what I've read so far. Can anybody comment if that is true or not? So one of the deals ive worked out have been as follows:
2016 740i
This car has 40k miles and has the m sport plus drivers assistance package. Thats about it. I really wanted to get the luxury rear seating package and the bowers/wilkins but i don't think thats available in 740's. :/
Thanks!
Hi!
I'm not familiar with prices in the US but it sounds quite cheap for the European market. But surely it has to have more options? It's easy to look up online if you have the VIN-number.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
Lightfytr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 750ix 2014 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebeamer View Post
Hi guys,
2016 740i
Thanks!
comb through autotrader. there are plenty of aftermarket warranty options too. you can get your car delivered for less than $1k if you can find a good deal elsewhere. I would try to find a CPO or one still under manufacture warranty. no cheap repairs here. Good luck. I just picked up a 2017 750ix.
      03-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #4
moebeamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfytr View Post
comb through autotrader. there are plenty of aftermarket warranty options too. you can get your car delivered for less than $1k if you can find a good deal elsewhere. I would try to find a CPO or one still under manufacture warranty. no cheap repairs here. Good luck. I just picked up a 2017 750ix.
Congrats on your new pickup! Can you go over the deal you got? Also, has there been any issues or concerns with it. The car im looking at is out of the manufacture warranty, however it does have the 1 year unlimited miles CPO. Yes ill definitely check out of state as well!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
moebeamer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nasH View Post
Hi!
I'm not familiar with prices in the US but it sounds quite cheap for the European market. But surely it has to have more options? It's easy to look up online if you have the VIN-number.
You're right! just checked out the packages again. It has m sport, drivers assistance 1 & 2, as well as executive package.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
GnatGoSplat
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX

I'm still shopping as well, but what you've read/heard about N63 vs B58 is the same as what I've read. As a DIYer, I've also looked up repair procedures for parts that commonly fail on cars in general (i.e. starter, alternator, water pump, etc) and I can tell you the B58 is significantly easier to work on than the N63TU2. The starter R&R procedure, for example, is particularly scary on the V8s, but relatively straight-forward on the I6. Even if you're not a DIYer, I think that translates to much cheaper repair costs. On the other hand, I've also read the V8 is tons more fun, so I'm still undecided but strongly leaning towards V8.

Luxury rear seating is available on the 740, it's just really, really rare. There's a black one at a Brooklyn dealership with it. Haven't seen one with B&W. It might just be people or companies that buy 740s are more frugal and only add the necessities. For me, Autobahn package and Executive Drive Pro are on my "must have" list, and I haven't seen a single 740 with those options yet. It's possible to build a new 740 with just about every option, but not sure if that was the case in 2016-17.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
I'm still shopping as well, but what you've read/heard about N63 vs B58 is the same as what I've read. As a DIYer, I've also looked up repair procedures for parts that commonly fail on cars in general (i.e. starter, alternator, water pump, etc) and I can tell you the B58 is significantly easier to work on than the N63TU2. The starter R&R procedure, for example, is particularly scary on the V8s, but relatively straight-forward on the I6. Even if you're not a DIYer, I think that translates to much cheaper repair costs. On the other hand, I've also read the V8 is tons more fun, so I'm still undecided but strongly leaning towards V8.

Luxury rear seating is available on the 740, it's just really, really rare. There's a black one at a Brooklyn dealership with it. Haven't seen one with B&W. It might just be people or companies that buy 740s are more frugal and only add the necessities. For me, Autobahn package and Executive Drive Pro are on my "must have" list, and I haven't seen a single 740 with those options yet. It's possible to build a new 740 with just about every option, but not sure if that was the case in 2016-17.
The problem is if you build a 740 with every single option you are in the lower end of the 750 price, most people take the engine over options that they think are not necessary.

Also, you need to think of how the dealers buy them. They option for what sells the quickest. I just built a brand new with most of the options and its $115k. My 750 pretty loaded came out to $112k (no autobahn pkg). Most people are not rolling in looking at $115k 740s so there will be a lot less out there.

You cant go wrong with a 740, but I would tune it if I had one, especially after driving and owning a 750 and how heavy it is the 740 would feel really lacking to me.

For reliability go 740 all-day though lol
      04-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #8
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Forgive my naive ways, and my lack of research, but what are the issues with the N63 engine?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Forgive my naive ways, and my lack of research, but what are the issues with the N63 engine?
Well depends on which version, the N63TU had quite a few issues, the N63TU2 has been ok so far as has the N63TU3 that is in the newest models.

That being said BMW V8's have had a history of not being nearly as reliable as the I6's also the I6's are easier to work on.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/bmw-...e-hot-garbage/

The ones after the CCP seem to be better.
      04-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

Damn, gotta love depreciation!
Appreciate 0