BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

06-11-2023, 04:50 PM   #1
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Factory Orders/Dealer-Installed Accessories

I'll soon be factory-ordering a 2024 i7. I've read that one should tell them upfront, "No accessories on the R.O. for the P.D.I." That evidently means don't add any locally-added dealer money-making accessories (i.e., undercoating, window tinting, LoJack, seat conditioning, nitrogen in the tires, etc. etc.) after the car arrives from Germany, on the Repair Order prior to the Pre-Delivery Inspection.

For those of you who have factory-ordered your Series 7 -- or any BMW actually -- are they [is BMW] normally in the habit of adding any dealer-installed accessories you didn't order specifically?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

In lieu of any responses and now that I think of it, I'd guess if it were a specific order from the factory, one probably would only receive the options one has expressly requested. Thanks anyway! :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
This may be a dealer specfic thing. I have ordered several and none came with any dealer installed options. I was asked by one of the business managers about some cosmetic stuff, which I declined, and about wheel & tire ins., which I sometimes took. If I said no that was the end of the discussion. Having bought also some years ago from a different dealer, there was also no mandatory anything. But that is a small sample size.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 06:26 PM   #4
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
This may be a dealer specfic thing. I have ordered several and none came with any dealer installed options. I was asked by one of the business managers about some cosmetic stuff, which I declined, and about wheel & tire ins., which I sometimes took. If I said no that was the end of the discussion. Having bought also some years ago from a different dealer, there was also no mandatory anything. But that is a small sample size.
As stated, some dealers do automatically put things on, mine did, but they tell you and you can always say no, and don't have to pay for it.

My dealer automatically puts on tinting and door edge guards. I took the tinting and passed on the door edge guards.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2023, 10:35 PM   #5
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I'll soon be factory-ordering a 2024 i7. I've read that one should tell them upfront, "No accessories on the R.O. for the P.D.I." That evidently means don't add any locally-added dealer money-making accessories (i.e., undercoating, window tinting, LoJack, seat conditioning, nitrogen in the tires, etc. etc.) after the car arrives from Germany, on the Repair Order prior to the Pre-Delivery Inspection.

For those of you who have factory-ordered your Series 7 -- or any BMW actually -- are they [is BMW] normally in the habit of adding any dealer-installed accessories you didn't order specifically?
Never. Why would they spend money to add anything to a pre-ordered vehicle that already has a pre-negotiated price?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:50 AM   #6
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmish View Post
Never. Why would they spend money to add anything to a pre-ordered vehicle that already has a pre-negotiated price?
For the abject profit obviously.

Even on factory-ordered vehicles, after the vehicle arrives, the dealer will often make a repair order sending the vehicle to their service center/shop to add rustproofing, or VIN etching, etc. etc. at a huge mark-up. They'll then slap on an "additional" or "supplemental" dealer add-on sticker totally separate and autonomous from the manufacturer's sticker. They'll insist that since the "product[s]" is or are already installed, you must pay it and/or inform you "That's what we put on all our cars," or words to that effect.

Of course IF you DO have a SIGNED factory order, you can just say thanks for the lagniappe (extra unexpected bonus items) but there's no way you'll pay for them. And of course they can't legally obligate you to pay for them. It's just a matter of a dealer being a little shady and trying to squeeze you for all they can. Often, people who don't know their rights or just want to complete their deal without any problems merely sigh and say, "Oh well, since it's already installed, then whatever." Dealers count on you being one of those people.

I merely asked to discern whether or not BMW has had a history of this unscrupulous practice.

Here's a video on exactly what I'm talking about:
https://www.google.com/search?q=yout...id:ZAFctFlpIdU
Appreciate 0