BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-23-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Bradley Scott
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M760i

Getting in and out of the back seat

This is out of left field but does anyone have any issues getting in and out of the back seat of their 7 series (the Li)?

We had a 2001 E38 and never an issue.

Then we had a 2014 750Li and we noticed those getting into the back seat had to contortion a bit to get in.

Now I have the 2020 760i and my father (5 ft 9) 75 years old - hits his head whenever he gets in. The seats are so high up (perhaps like the format Rolls Royce Uses) that the space between the seat bottom and the DOOR outline (not the roof of the car) is quite small.

I had a few people at the office yesterday and they wanted to see the car as well so I took the opportunity to ask them to "check out the back seat" and I kid you not - all of them either hit their head - or had to get in quite awkwardly in order to avoid hitting their head.

One of them had an S560 2020 and we went over to that car and got in with room to spare at the head area.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Scott View Post
This is out of left field but does anyone have any issues getting in and out of the back seat of their 7 series (the Li)?

We had a 2001 E38 and never an issue.

Then we had a 2014 750Li and we noticed those getting into the back seat had to contortion a bit to get in.

Now I have the 2020 760i and my father (5 ft 9) 75 years old - hits his head whenever he gets in. The seats are so high up (perhaps like the format Rolls Royce Uses) that the space between the seat bottom and the DOOR outline (not the roof of the car) is quite small.

I had a few people at the office yesterday and they wanted to see the car as well so I took the opportunity to ask them to "check out the back seat" and I kid you not - all of them either hit their head - or had to get in quite awkwardly in order to avoid hitting their head.

One of them had an S560 2020 and we went over to that car and got in with room to spare at the head area.

Anyone have any thoughts?
If u compare the front seat to the back seat u will notice that the rear seat is slightly higher than the front and that's why most hit there heads I have a 18 with almost same set up I have executive rear not executive lounge seats and I've hit my head a few times lol only way not to is like u said go in kinda bent up especially if u have some height with you as I am 6'3 so I definitely know it's a bit awkward
      02-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Bradley Scott
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post
If u compare the front seat to the back seat u will notice that the rear seat is slightly higher than the front and that's why most hit there heads I have a 18 with almost same set up I have executive rear not executive lounge seats and I've hit my head a few times lol only way not to is like u said go in kinda bent up especially if u have some height with you as I am 6'3 so I definitely know it's a bit awkward
I'm glad it wasn't just me. That's why I had my friends give it a try. It's theater seating (rear higher than front) but I know no one who doesn't have to awkwardly use effort to get into the back of it.

I wonder if it's the same with the Rolls Royce Ghost.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley Scott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post
I'm glad it wasn't just me. That's why I had my friends give it a try. It's theater seating (rear higher than front) but I know no one who doesn't have to awkwardly use effort to get into the back of it.

I wonder if it's the same with the Rolls Royce Ghost.
That I'm not sure of unfortunately I don't know anyone in that economic lane with rolls Royce money 😂😂but what I do know is this was one of the changes from f01-2 to g11-12 platform not really sure why they did it i have no problems what so ever gettin in and out of the back of my15 f02 lol was in the back this morning trying to find a cellphone I dropped on the side of my seat lol and on another note I can't even compare the two my g12 rear is more comfy than my f02 once inside that is 😂
      02-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #5
Bradley Scott
Rep

Yep We had a 14 750 and it was easy breezy getting in and out of it - no issues whatsoever. The E38 (2001) was a massive interior - when you were in the back seat you felt you were miles from the front passenger. Not so much with the current. Not as much leg room either as the E38 but I guess its all relative. I don't have any complaints - but of course it is a wonder why they'd design it so you have to put extra effort not to bang your head.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
BMW will sell you a special plastic wedge that will allow easier rear seat entry. You get the passengers to put their heads right under the wedge and slide them in. Check with your dealer to see if they have one you can borrow. They use it to get the sales rep in for test drives.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #7
Bradley Scott
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
BMW will sell you a special plastic wedge that will allow easier rear seat entry. You get the passengers to put their heads right under the wedge and slide them in. Check with your dealer to see if they have one you can borrow. They use it to get the sales rep in for test drives.
We've been using WD40.
Appreciate 0