BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #1
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i G11

Centre console removal

Hi, does anyone know how to get access to under the front cup holders/cigarette lighter?

I just purchased a phone wireless charger unit and I need to remove the cup holder and cigarettes lighter to plug in the wires.

I managed to remove the trim around the gear shifter by pulling it up hard, and also the two pieces of side trim, and the four black screws holding down the cup holder tray. But no matter how hard I pull up on the cup holders, they wont budge!

This is the wireless charger: https://www.carqiwireless.com/collec...2019-2018-2017
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #2
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

I figured it out. There are two plastic tabs under the rubber mat near the USB port. You need to carefully lift both tabs slightly (careful don’t snap them), and pull the cup holders upwards (from the cigarette light end). The whole tray should now lift up and you can access underneath.

I’ve installed the wireless phone charger. It took a little while to arrange the cables underneath the cup holders so it would snap back into place. But it was worth it, great factory looking wireless phone charger. It’s a fast wireless charger, charged my iPhone XS from 60% to 100% in 20 minutes. It also integrates the factory USB port so you can still use it.

And it also charges the Display Key.

My 2016 740i G11 didn’t come with any wireless charger functionality (not in the armrest storage or beside the cup holders). I thought it was pretty crappy when the car salesman said I had to charge the display key with a microUSB cable. Not anymore!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 09:53 PM   #3
BimmerGermany740
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Thank you for this! I have been trying the same to get under the cup holders but ended up giving up. I'll give it another shot and try finding those tabs you talked about.

I'm installing the same wireless charger.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 12:04 AM   #4
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGermany740 View Post
Thank you for this! I have been trying the same to get under the cup holders but ended up giving up. I'll give it another shot and try finding those tabs you talked about.

I'm installing the same wireless charger.
I know, it’s a real pain when you don’t know how it all works, and the wireless charger people provide absolutely zero instructions. Here is the guide to lifting up the cup holders (with pictures!) - https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...ons/1VnYsANUUG
Appreciate 0