BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #3917
Dagamus_NM
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 x1, '10 m3, '91 332iC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
If we reported the daily deaths of flu/pneumonia would you feel the same? If we saw that 1k or 2k people died of the flu/pneumonia on a random day in 2017, would you have supported a lockdown then? The 60K-80k deaths we had in the 2017-2018 year don't seem to affect you at all.

If we absolutely knew that a total of 80k people would die of COVID-19 if we just let this run through our country, would you still support a lockdown?
Of course those deaths affect me. I have had the displeasure of working intimately with those sick with the flu, on ventilators in the prone position with intensivists doing everything they can to save them.

There is a vaccine, very few healthcare providers die of the flu that get vaccinated.

Again, your inability to follow a simple fucking graph is mind boggling.

The 7392 deaths cumulative from this today will be what in a week? Two weeks? Three weeks? After 9 months like a flu season?

There is zero evidence that this is going to go away.

Look at the situation in Ecuador. Bodies rotting in the streets.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #3918
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus_NM View Post
Of course those deaths affect me. I have had the displeasure of working intimately with those sick with the flu, on ventilators in the prone position with intensivists doing everything they can to save them.

There is a vaccine, very few healthcare providers die of the flu that get vaccinated.

Again, your inability to follow a simple fucking graph is mind boggling.

The 7392 deaths cumulative from this today will be what in a week? Two weeks? Three weeks? After 9 months like a flu season?

There is zero evidence that this is going to go away.

Look at the situation in Ecuador. Bodies rotting in the streets.
Ecuador has a total of 145 deaths, 25 of them being today. Bodies on the streets has more to do with them being a third world country than it does Covid-19.

If we look at this state by state, there is a lot of positives. Washington never surged like it was supposed to. California still hasn't seen huge death counts. Texas is still doing ok. For the moment NY and NJ are the only ones with 100+ deaths a day. We had 1300 deaths today and over 600 were in NY. It's doomsday in certain cities, but a big part of the country is still doing great.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #3919
Dagamus_NM
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 x1, '10 m3, '91 332iC

Quote:
Ecuador has a total of 145 deaths, 25 of them being today. Bodies on the streets has more to do with them being a third world country than it does Covid-19.

If we look at this state by state, there is a lot of positives. Washington never surged like it was supposed to. California still hasn't seen huge death counts. Texas is still doing ok. For the moment NY and NJ are the only ones with 100+ deaths a day. We had 1300 deaths today and over 600 were in NY. It's doomsday in certain cities, but a big part of the country is still doing great.
Because the spread is being slowed. This is the whole point of what we are trying to get through to you.

Yes Ecuador is a 3rd world country. But if your reasoning made sense this would be a normal annual occurrence from the flu and that is not the case.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #3920
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
CDC director recommends wearing face masks in public yet isn't wearing one himself. The doctors aren't wearing one either or the president or any journalist at the press conference and not following social distancing rules.
They are totally unprepared and it's a bad look. Do as I say, not as I do is usually not the best way to convince people to listen to your non-mandatory advice.

They shouldn't even be having these in person! I've been in huge Microsoft Teams video conferences all week, there is no reason to trot everyone out for potential exposure.
For real just attended a zoom meeting with 150+ people. They should wfh like many TV news anchors are starting to do. They can ask their questions from there and set a good example.
Appreciate 1
chris7192340.00

Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #3921
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

New system going online in about a week that can decontaminate up to 80,000 N95 masks per day for reuse. American ingenuity at work right here : https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...ination-system
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 11:00 PM   #3922
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Problem is the seal doesnt stay thru repeated uses so killing virus on it doenst help if no longer fits properly.
Appreciate 1
chris7192340.00

Yesterday, 11:06 PM   #3923
chris719
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
New system going online in about a week that can decontaminate up to 80,000 N95 masks per day for reuse. American ingenuity at work right here : https://komonews.com/news/coronaviru...ination-system
Yeah it's designed by Battelle... which Trump mispronounced. Battelle is a good organization, I've worked with them on a few projects.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:29 PM   #3924
chris719
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Problem is the seal doesnt stay thru repeated uses so killing virus on it doenst help if no longer fits properly.
Yeah, there really is no perfect solution to reusing a mask that is designed to be disposable. I am not very familiar with PPE but I'm surprised there aren't masks with replaceable pieces having frames that can be sterilized via ethylene oxide or autoclave.

There has been a big push for a while in medical devices for disposable or consumable components because they drive profit - razor blade model and all. Still, everything too expensive to be disposable is designed to be sterilized.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #3925
chris719
Colonel
Rep

Ok, this is kind of crazy, but Emory's DRIVE group had to set up a GoFundMe to fill in gaps in their funding in the quest to get human trials started for their promising COVID-19 drug EIDD-2801. I'm kind of shocked that we need a GoFundMe to fund development of a drug during a pandemic but here we are...

https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/ca...-pandemics-now

This drug is really promising. It was developed in cooperation by researchers at Emory, UNC, and I believe Mark Denison's lab at Vanderbilt. It's an antiviral like Remdesivir but works in a different way. The biggest advantage is that it's orally bioavailable, unlike Remdesivir. This drug could actually be a game changer.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...890v1.full.pdf
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:26 AM   #3926
AlpineWhite_SJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Ok, this is kind of crazy, but Emory's DRIVE group had to set up a GoFundMe to fill in gaps in their funding in the quest to get human trials started for their promising COVID-19 drug EIDD-2801. I'm kind of shocked that we need a GoFundMe to fund development of a drug during a pandemic but here we are...

https://charity.gofundme.com/o/en/ca...-pandemics-now

This drug is really promising. It was developed in cooperation by researchers at Emory, UNC, and I believe Mark Denison's lab at Vanderbilt. It's an antiviral like Remdesivir but works in a different way. The biggest advantage is that it's orally bioavailable, unlike Remdesivir. This drug could actually be a game changer.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...890v1.full.pdf
Yeah sorry, not gonna gofundme a random research project that can’t seem to even get funding from legit sources when they’re a potential cure for a disease thats headline news. They need better communications and grant writing staff.
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:32 AM   #3927
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
CDC director recommends wearing face masks in public yet isn't wearing one himself. The doctors aren't wearing one either or the president or any journalist at the press conference and not following social distancing rules.
They are totally unprepared and it's a bad look. Do as I say, not as I do is usually not the best way to convince people to listen to your non-mandatory advice.

They shouldn't even be having these in person! I've been in huge Microsoft Teams video conferences all week, there is no reason to trot everyone out for potential exposure.
For real just attended a zoom meeting with 150+ people. They should wfh like many TV news anchors are starting to do. They can ask their questions from there and set a good example.
Also noticed these news anchors have some bomb cribs. They make pretty good money for just a few minutes worth of news announcements a day. Seems like a pretty sweet gig.
Appreciate 1
chris7192340.00

Today, 01:54 AM   #3928
chris719
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Uh, yeah, I wouldn't say anyone is doing great. WA and CA are doing okay because they took action early enough. Everyone else is just next in line unless they stop fucking around and actually go into lockdown. Waiting until you have a ton of cases show up is too late. If it's done preemptively then you might end up doing well given the circumstances.

I can't believe we still have to explain this. This virus is incredibly contagious, the population has NO immunity (not even cross-reactive), and it has a relatively long incubation period with pre-symptomatic spreading. Frankly, people like you who will never get it until their friends and family are dropping like flies are why this needs to be a federal mandate. This disbelief in the reality that's coming puts entire communities at risk.

Anecdotal observations from several physicians are that a good number of those hospitalized seem to be obese, especially among the younger age groups.

https://stateofchildhoodobesity.org/adult-obesity/

Not good given the state of fitness in the US.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:58 AM   #3929
chris719
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Yeah sorry, not gonna gofundme a random research project that can’t seem to even get funding from legit sources when they’re a potential cure for a disease thats headline news. They need better communications and grant writing staff.
I didn't ask or suggest anyone fund them. The whole idea is absurd.

They already have grants from NIH, probably from before the pandemic.

However, just to set the record straight on their legitimacy - they are the top researchers in the US on coronavirus and they already co-developed Remdesivir.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:22 AM   #3930
ynguldyn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Also noticed these news anchors have some bomb cribs. They make pretty good money for just a few minutes worth of news announcements a day. Seems like a pretty sweet gig.
They got nothing compared to Usain Bolt. That guy worked 10 seconds once every four years.
Appreciate 0