BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

04-09-2021, 10:09 PM   #23
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
What's behind the massive increase in China?
They can't get enough of BMW's X SAV's there. They love them.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 01:12 AM   #24
OSee
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
2020 was the beginning of Covid so these numbers are very deceiving and add on to the pent up demand of course the numbers will look great compared. If you think it is the new big grille producing these numbers........
It also could be people are buying their BMW's before the ugly grille spreads to other models.😁
Thanks for the analyses and speculation.

I’m sure BMW executives are putting the corks back on their champagne bottles after reading this.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      04-10-2021, 04:25 AM   #25
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
it's like to see how many of them were 4 series sales. i still maintain that front is ghastly. if they introduce that monstrosity on their 3 series and 5 series, sales will tank. SUVs will be able to handle that grill better though.
Appreciate 1
bmw1racer998.00
      04-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #26
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masander View Post
So those fugly ass giant grilles were not a mistake right?
I've gotten nothing but compliments and positive attention to mine on the street. It's often the first thing "wowed" over and remarked on.

Seems like all the haters are primarily the forum goers here.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 5
      04-10-2021, 11:49 AM   #27
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
it's like to see how many of them were 4 series sales. i still maintain that front is ghastly. if they introduce that monstrosity on their 3 series and 5 series, sales will tank. SUVs will be able to handle that grill better though.
Did you miss the part where the m440i sales are driving the record sales?

m440i buyers are not that different from m340i buyers. Your argument does not hold up well under scrutiny

The only place where I might agree with you is the 5 series.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      04-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #28
///Pip
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M4 M2C M340i 718Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
What's behind the massive increase in China?
Rise and rise of the middle class of course. Many would be buying a German luxury car for the first time. Things are moving so fast over there, many are becoming millionaires in the last 5 years. When you become so rich quickly, many wants to spend and stand out. BMW is simply trying to get that market with bold designs.

Now everyone is saying that the G80 grilles are big ... don't forget that the X5 7 series 3 series G30 all have massively increased grilles
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 11:06 PM   #29
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I've gotten nothing but compliments and positive attention to mine on the street. It's often the first thing "wowed" over and remarked on.

Really? just because some people you met liked it you are going to forego all the people in this forum, the press, reviewers and even BMW themselves who capitulated saying that this grille willl only be on the 4series, then later started putting it on more vehicles. BMW Even said that the grilles "wasn't about it being pretty or ugly but for it to stand out." BMW's head wouldn't say that if he believed it to be pretty.
To say forum goers are the only ones saying it is ugly is unbelievable.
Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      04-11-2021, 01:20 AM   #30
OSee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Really? just because some people you met liked it you are going to forego all the people in this forum, the press, reviewers and even BMW themselves who capitulated saying that this grille willl only be on the 4series, then later started putting it on more vehicles. BMW Even said that the grilles "wasn't about it being pretty or ugly but for it to stand out." BMW's head wouldn't say that if he believed it to be pretty.
Why are you so upset about it?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 02:11 AM   #31
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Chill, dude.

Take into consideration that this forum represents a small fraction of BMW owners, and reviewers / "influencers" etc an even smaller fraction.

You're never going to be able to please everyone, though you can certainly manage to piss everyone off. BMW had a choice between "piss fewer people off" and "please as many as possible".

Seems like they opted to piss off the smaller group in favor of appealing to the larger group. Given the sales numbers, it seems to be paying off.

Some of us are capable of appreciating things holistically rather than focusing on a single perceived flaw or slight. Others let it fester within them and grow and affect their attitude, their vision, everything they do.

Don't be that second group.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 03:04 AM   #32
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

The same could be applied to the other side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSee View Post
Why are you so upset about it?
Quote:
Chill, dude.

Take into consideration that this forum represents a small fraction of BMW owners, and reviewers / "influencers" etc an even smaller fraction.

You're never going to be able to please everyone, though you can certainly manage to piss everyone off. BMW had a choice between "piss fewer people off" and "please as many as possible".

Seems like they opted to piss off the smaller group in favor of appealing to the larger group. Given the sales numbers, it seems to be paying off.

Some of us are capable of appreciating things holistically rather than focusing on a single perceived flaw or slight. Others let it fester within them and grow and affect their attitude, their vision, everything they do.

Don't be that second group.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 04:16 AM   #33
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Well, massive growth in Asia is shining through the design language currently at BMW. Good luck to them.
Appreciate 1
AllaVodka633.00
      04-11-2021, 05:57 AM   #34
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:

good for you. just saying I would not buy one with that grill though. I'm not against large grills, but it has to be aesthetic. the SUVs carry them well. the G20 hit the sweet spot. the 4 series shocks rather than wows yes it turns heads but in the wrong way in my view. at the end of the day, each to his own, good that you like it, that's all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #35
Masander
Private
Rep
Drives: Banglemobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
Quote:

good for you. just saying I would not buy one with that grill though. I'm not against large grills, but it has to be aesthetic. the SUVs carry them well. the G20 hit the sweet spot. the 4 series shocks rather than wows yes it turns heads but in the wrong way in my view. at the end of the day, each to his own, good that you like it, that's all that matters.
This.
      04-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #36
shawn2010
Rep
Drives: M3

Well done to BMW
      04-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #37
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
On the grill/grille question, there is nothing new under the sun. Imagine what posters thought on this board when the 503 was introduced, having been accustomed to the "real" BMW grill/grille on the 501. Then, horror of horrors, came the 507 with its squished and unattractive grill/grille.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
francton124.50
      04-12-2021, 06:21 AM   #38
ADEe92
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 320d sport plus edition

Garage List
2013 320d  [0.00]
1988 320i with M30B35  [0.00]
Lol... except that the 507 is an infinitely prettier car than the stodgy old 503. Not sure too many would have argued

The same can't be said of the current transition back to the 'tall' grilles but ah well.

The coupe is an absolute stunner:

Appreciate 1
chassis6373.50