BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-15-2020, 11:40 PM   #1
Bulldog619
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Help please!!!!!!!!!

Hello everyone I am new to Bimmerpost and need your help and input on an issue with my car. I just purchased a new 2020 740i and have been hearing a weird clicking/spring noise whenever I put the car in reverse at slow speed and then brake, it also happens when I drive at slow speeds and tap the brakes. It's really annoying, embarrassing and frustrating. I just want my car to sound normal and not have this issue anymore. If anybody knows what I am experiencing I would greatly appreciate your help as this is driving me crazy! Please give me your input

I have taken the car to BMW of San Diego 3 times and they just cannot figure it out.

Car has 9k Miles.

I have attached a video below of what I am experiencing.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
JustinP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M competition

Hi,

I had a strange rattle that sounded like some keys being jangled about when I went over a bump. My local BMW dealership investigated and found a stone under the front offside brake disk. They needed to remove the disk to spot it.

The dealership may have something called ‘chassis ears’, which is a tool used to pinpoint the source or unwanted sounds. Evidently it has a number of small microphones that can be attached to the car, and the mechanic can select which one to listen too while the rattle is occurring, to narrow down the search area.

It would be helpful if you can narrow down which corner of the car the noise is coming from, perhaps ask a friend stand outside while you reverse?

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:30 AM   #3
Bulldog619
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinP View Post
Hi,

I had a strange rattle that sounded like some keys being jangled about when I went over a bump. My local BMW dealership investigated and found a stone under the front offside brake disk. They needed to remove the disk to spot it.

The dealership may have something called ‘chassis ears’, which is a tool used to pinpoint the source or unwanted sounds. Evidently it has a number of small microphones that can be attached to the car, and the mechanic can select which one to listen too while the rattle is occurring, to narrow down the search area.

It would be helpful if you can narrow down which corner of the car the noise is coming from, perhaps ask a friend stand outside while you reverse?

Good luck.
Hi Justin thanks for the reply brother. It seems as it's coming from the front of the vehicle. It's really annoying and I don't know what to do honestly.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:54 AM   #4
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Check with ypur dealer if your front pads need new oem shaft with spacers, there is a recall and a notice for bmw I had fpr F90 m5 and somw other models, the pads move slightly and need new shaft with spacers.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:03 AM   #5
Bulldog619
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Check with ypur dealer if your front pads need new oem shaft with spacers, there is a recall and a notice for bmw I had fpr F90 m5 and somw other models, the pads move slightly and need new shaft with spacers.
Mr. Gicm thanks for your reply, BMW gave me new breakpads and put an extra slot in the brake rotors but still making the same noise. It only happens when I am reversing slow or reversing up my driveway and braking and also when I am going down a hill and braking. Seems to happens on sloped or downhill roads. Especially parking garages, the worst and it's pretty embarrassing considering it's a new vehicle.
Appreciate 0