BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-31-2021, 12:41 AM   #1
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
So the weekend before Christmas, I was going to do another epic drive from Atlanta to PA… 11 hrs of peaceful family wafting in the 7er. My comfort and confidence was high…..until a catastrophic failure of epic timing.

Atlanta to Birmingham… quick in-law family brunch. Great drive. Then from Birmingham, we set off for north of Chattanooga to spend the night, then the next day, a longer stint to PA.

We got to about Knoxville, I felt a slight shudder, then all hell broke loose and low power, DTM, etc.

I pulled off on an off ramp and she was DOA. Wouldn't restart. So here we are in BFE Tennessee and I start calling AAA. Fully loaded with presents and family, we got lucky and the tow truck had the old girl on the bed in 45 min. We rented a Kia Sorrento and continued our journey onwards (I went from one handing triple digits to white knuckling 70mph ).

The 7er made it to Nalley BMW in Atlanta just fine and they combed through it. Fuel injector was f*cked. They also said spark plugs for good measure (at $700??? Wtf). Then they said the bank 1 turbo was also f*cked. Now the tab was $1200 for one fuel injector, $5800 for bank 1 turbo, and $700 for spark plugs….. mind you I pulled the turbo in my F10 in 30 min…..replaced 8 coils and plugs in 45 min… wtf is with these dealer labor "book" rates????

So being that this is a $135k car I bought for 40% of the value and it's got 30k on the odo…. Again wtf but I already was prepared to pay out of pocket bc that is what happens when you roll the dice in the warranty game. I pushback and explain that there is no way in hell a turbo is kaput at 30k miles… come on guys…. I actually left this car stock for the first time in my adult life!!!! I also ask to have them walk me through this expense to replace the turbo since upgraded turbos run like $3-4k for 2…. Not $5800 for 1 w labor…. Which it literally takes less than an hour to swap. The hot Vee design has its flaws but turbo access is the upside.

So I implore again wtf is going on with this 30k mileage car and a blown turbo today and all the sudden, it's all under warranty and BMW will cover it all. Sheesh!!!!!! So if I had just agreed I would be forking over $7700 vs just using some common sense and now it's all miraculously covered? These dealerships have to check themselves bc that will not last long. The luxury brand and experience has given way to six figure Kia dealerships. I get the state of the world right now but this whole thing is much harder than it needed to be. If I weren't smarter than the average bear, would they just have made me pay????? Ok rant Over and Happy New Year!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Good result for you. Smart to push back. But if the car was still under warranty there never should have been a question. I have found that not all Dealers are alike. I’ve dealt with three. One I do not trust at all. One is exemplary, but expensive. The third in between. When you’re on a road trip you can be at their mercy as you can’t choose so your lesson is a good one.
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      01-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #3
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Glad it all worked out okay in the end. Safe travels!
      01-01-2022, 08:14 PM   #4
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Firstly, glad you got it sorted. It never pays to be nice especially if you have a potentially big bill.

Secondly, aren't all the turbos covered by a federally mandated emissions warranty for 10 years? Even though I recently bought a comprehensive 4 yr warranty for my car, it was never for emissions related components, and the turbo is definitely one of them.

I have seen a lot more cases of turbos being fixed on Audi forums under the same ten yr. Mandated warranty, it's 100k miles too I believe. I maybe wrong but it remember seeing some posts about it before.
      01-02-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Wow…pushing back & asking questions definitely was a benefit…for you and us. Thanks for sharing.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 06:50 AM   #6
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Who doesn’t have a photo of their 7-Series on a flatbed truck? LOL.

Mine was after a totally shredded run flat tired at 85 mph.

I’ve broken down before in “nowheresville” Tennessee. Somewhere around 1995 in the girlfriend’s 1986 Jetta, two bikes on the back and two dogs in the car. It was not fun.

That’s what worries me about this car - I can handle issues around town. It’s the breakdown in the middle of the mountains.

Glad it all went ok for you in the end.

Attached Images

Last edited by Lawguy; 01-03-2022 at 06:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
Grizzle34
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 G12 740Ld Xdrive M Sport

Glad it worked out ok for you in the end but i agree the level of service from these supposed exclusive brands has dipped big time, here in tge UK the custome service has fallen way way below par, and the dealership level of service isnt far behind.

My next car wont be a bmw, other brands are doing it better.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #8
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Got the big girl back! Running like a top again!

@KK22 - thanks for that tip of that 10yr warranty. The SA tried to drive a narrative like they did me a huge favor and the dealership made some sort of a subjective call with a good faith gesture and I interjected and stated it is all under the 10yr emissions warranty and they immediately backed off that tactic. I do appreciate it being complete and they were very professional otherwise. I don't think it was intentional to bill a customer hoping they would pay, then knowingly making a claim to BMW to double dip (although I am jaded with dealers and wouldn't put it past them).

I'm not afraid of shop bills… the N63 motor has its weaknesses and being that it is a rolling computer, I may now invest in an aftermarket warranty.
Appreciate 1
KK22137.50
      01-06-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister View Post
Got the big girl back! Running like a top again!

@KK22 - thanks for that tip of that 10yr warranty. The SA tried to drive a narrative like they did me a huge favor and the dealership made some sort of a subjective call with a good faith gesture and I interjected and stated it is all under the 10yr emissions warranty and they immediately backed off that tactic. I do appreciate it being complete and they were very professional otherwise. I don't think it was intentional to bill a customer hoping they would pay, then knowingly making a claim to BMW to double dip (although I am jaded with dealers and wouldn't put it past them).

I'm not afraid of shop bills… the N63 motor has its weaknesses and being that it is a rolling computer, I may now invest in an aftermarket warranty.

Thats awesome, nothing like getting the car back after a stint in the shop, and it looks like turnaround wasn't too long either!

The emissions warranty is actually 8Yr and 80K miles, I looked it up. But yeah most folks are unaware of the federally dictated mandate. I've always chosen N/A cars for reliability before but now with this warranty, I fear no Turbo The electronics, Air suspension, and other gizmos however still needed some extended warranty care
      01-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #10
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

That's great that it all worked out. I was towing my track car through BF Kentucky years ago and had a flat on the truck. I couldn't lower the spare, called Chevy roadside, AAA and no one could get it down. I finally followed the AAA guy to a tire store and they plugged the tire for me, and a later trip to the Chevy dealer got the spare issue fixed.

Dealers have some discretion on repairs, but unfortunately the first line of defense is the service advisor, and their default mode is "customer pays".

I remember a Buick I had years ago with a clunking noise out of the front end. I brought it in for that and requested an alignment as well. They fixed the clunk under warranty, and the alignment was on me.

I asked what the clunk was, and they said "loose tie rod". I said, well, that's why the alignment was off. The SA says no. So I got the service manager over, and the SA asks him, "does the tie rod affect alignment?" He laughed and said "hell yes it does!"

I like it so much better when the SA (or SM) is a former mechanic.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:39 AM   #11
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Having read these forums now for quite a few years, I get the impression that the bmw dealers in the US are not very good at all and what I see here just beggars belief and is nowhere near the experience I have had with bmw here in the last 20 or so years in the uK

Really quite sloppy service and some of it really unacceptable
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:05 AM   #12
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Having read these forums now for quite a few years, I get the impression that the bmw dealers in the US are not very good at all and what I see here just beggars belief and is nowhere near the experience I have had with bmw here in the last 20 or so years in the uK

Really quite sloppy service and some of it really unacceptable
Yes, sloppy service is unacceptable. But what you read on the Internet is complaints. That includes BTW a lot of UK complaints too. People who are satisified with their service don't complain. It is wrong to condemn all dealers. Some are bad, to be sure, and we hear about them. Most are okay. I have a choice of several dealers. One of them outright lies and the other is okay - just not customer friendly.

But one is really good. I've now bought 5 cars from my current dealer, and have a good relationship with a Sales Advisor and a Service Advisor. The service I have gotten is excellent. They have been transparent. I cannot think of a single instance when they tried to get me to pay for a warranty repair, and I can think of several when it was borderline and they covered it. They are not cheap, and I probably could have saved a few dollars by buying elsewhere; I thought preserving the relationships was a good investment and for many years they have earned my loyalty by valuing me as a customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 10:49 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Fair point
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #14
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

My U.K. dealer experience was rubbish, just for balance.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 07:45 PM   #15
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
Adding insult to injury fellas… but the dealership made it right (albeit much of my time tied up going back and forth).

So the top turbo coolant line was leaking because of the recent turbo installation. Clear as day on top. They crimped the hose incorrectly. So I dropped it off and my expectation was that this was a "clean up" of their previous repair. Got a loaner miraculously…. Then they call me a day later and say there is a TSB out for an upgraded stainless steel braided coolant pipe upgrade. I'm happy about that, but they say 95% BMW and 5% owner (whatever…. being that I'm out of warranty, beggars can't be choosers right?). So no issues, they repair the car… the coolant hoses look pretty sharp and for the first time I feel like they got all the weakness out of the N63 engine!

Cut to a few days later when I take the Display key out of the leather case to charge it… the glass is shattered. I emailed the SA… he talks to the SM… and I'm sure they asked around and found the culprit dingleberry who was playing around with the remote parking feature in the parking lot and dropped the key. So now they are replacing that for free but again…. A trip in, time out of my schedule I can't afford… and they make me feel like it's a favor because I'm not paying.

Still love this car though!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:25 AM   #16
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

Ask them to post you the key.
Appreciate 0