BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-20-2015, 05:54 PM   #133
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Received my invite to the Houston showing in two weeks but I will be out of town =(
      04-20-2015, 10:26 PM   #134
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Is the interior better than current 6 series?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #135
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
That's a very subjective answer. If one looks at the leaked China Pics for the production dash and beginning of the center console, then look at the Vision Future Luxury Concept for detailing and features, combine them and that would be a good starting point for the formation of an opinion of what will be available.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 11:05 PM   #136
BimmerVinyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiten
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB316 View Post
That's a very subjective answer. If one looks at the leaked China Pics for the production dash and beginning of the center console, then look at the Vision Future Luxury Concept for detailing and features, combine them and that would be a good starting point for the formation of an opinion of what will be available.
Interesting, I hope all that chrome isn't their like in the leaked photos
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #137
Ralf84
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i ,14 M5 and '15 M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The car drops 200KG.

Dear Scott,

I'm a bit disappointed about the weight loss. I will wait with a verdict till release of the car and to the first test drives. I expected seriously more carbon in the "core" of the car, not just some add on a B-pillar. Is it really structural besides the roof racks? You said that it would be hard for any other car maker to keep up but this is not hard to accomplish for others. BMW is losing grip on the situation.

Another thing is, why is it that it takes so long for BMW to introduce new models? Mercedes is bringing AMG models at the same time the Base model is introduced.

Is there a strategy to expand BMW by buying another brand (like Aston Martin, Lotus, McLaren they really fit BMW perfectly) in the top segment? I understand that if there is something going on that you can't tell but is there no talk at all? Volvo would have been a perfect brand to own. Use the same platform, BMW on the sporty side and Volvo more the family side. Share engines and other components. Now look how well Volvo is doing with the Chinees, that could have been BMW. Very nice designs, very good interior quality en designs and even engines which low emissions!

Sorry if it looks like complaining but I only want to see BMW stay on top. And with brand extention it's more easy te keep each brand focused on there own mission. BMW can turn things in gold, look at MINI and Rolls Royce. VW has the guts to do it, so can BMW.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #138
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf84 View Post
Dear Scott,

I'm a bit disappointed about the weight loss. I will wait with a verdict till release of the car and to the first test drives. I expected seriously more carbon in the "core" of the car, not just some add on a B-pillar. Is it really structural besides the roof racks? You said that it would be hard for any other car maker to keep up but this is not hard to accomplish for others. BMW is losing grip on the situation.

Another thing is, why is it that it takes so long for BMW to introduce new models? Mercedes is bringing AMG models at the same time the Base model is introduced.

Is there a strategy to expand BMW by buying another brand (like Aston Martin, Lotus, McLaren they really fit BMW perfectly) in the top segment? I understand that if there is something going on that you can't tell but is there no talk at all? Volvo would have been a perfect brand to own. Use the same platform, BMW on the sporty side and Volvo more the family side. Share engines and other components. Now look how well Volvo is doing with the Chinees, that could have been BMW. Very nice designs, very good interior quality en designs and even engines which low emissions!

Sorry if it looks like complaining but I only want to see BMW stay on top. And with brand extention it's more easy te keep each brand focused on there own mission. BMW can turn things in gold, look at MINI and Rolls Royce. VW has the guts to do it, so can BMW.

I like you
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #139
Launch Control
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 - SS/SS

Just got my invite to check out the new 7 Series next Friday in Laguna Beach. Can't wait!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2015, 05:04 PM   #140
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

It is hard for other manufacturers to keep up with the Carbon core of the new 7er. Each point is identified as the heaviest point of the vehicle so that has been fabricated with CFRP. Our competitors at Mercedes-Benz and Audi are at least 5 years in a similar application at the cost applied via the 7er because we are in CFRP production and not limited to purchase via outside suppliers which limits applications because of extra cost. This is eliminated at BMW because we are producing our own. This is ground breaking high cost innovation now being integrated into the mass market and it is very significant as it will filter down the line again providing advantage to the BMW 5er and the BMW 3er which will stand out against its competitors in material technology application.
      04-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #141
talaipwros
Private
Rep
Drives: Model2018 740d xdriveMsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
It is hard for other manufacturers to keep up with the Carbon core of the new 7er. Each point is identified as the heaviest point of the vehicle so that has been fabricated with CFRP. Our competitors at Mercedes-Benz and Audi are at least 5 years in a similar application at the cost applied via the 7er because we are in CFRP production and not limited to purchase via outside suppliers which limits applications because of extra cost. This is eliminated at BMW because we are producing our own. This is ground breaking high cost innovation now being integrated into the mass market and it is very significant as it will filter down the line again providing advantage to the BMW 5er and the BMW 3er which will stand out against its competitors in material technology application.
buying from outside suppliers is usually cheaper, not costier unless you can produce in high volumes and exploit economies of scale. As this is a low volume product, inhouse fabrication is more expensive
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #142
manuelf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaipwros View Post
buying from outside suppliers is usually cheaper, not costier unless you can produce in high volumes and exploit economies of scale. As this is a low volume product, inhouse fabrication is more expensive
This is a very vague/general statement, which only applies in cases of me-too products, where almost unlimited capacity is available on the market.
Moreover I think you don't get it right, because you don't have the facts
The world largest poducer of carbon fiber is SGL Carbon, which is tightly coupled to BMW, because Susanne Klatten "owns" SGL and because both have a Joint venture.

Bottom line: Every other carmaker, which now enters the market to buy large quantities will pay a big premium as there is currently no capacity for them.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #143
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

I just saw the new 7 yesterday in Houston. It was presented outdoors as a slightly-darker version of Space Grey Metallic on a slightly-yellow Beige and indoors as an Alpine White on Black.

It is simply a beautiful vehicle. The exterior design is gorgeous, with the blandness of the current 7 replaced by a more interesting appearance that has a few subtle sporty/aggressive details. It looks better in the darker color than the white.

The appearance of the interior was not quite as striking to me. It is certainly attractive - the detailing of the seat design and the trim(s) are nicely implemented. But the update over the current interior seemed to me more of a revision instead of a new statement. One big improvement is the elimination of the "plastic" appearance underpinning many aspects of the current interior.

But the interior is remarkable in the new and so far unique technology that BMW has developed and produced. The touch screen fulfills the goal of duplicating the feel and use of tablet or mobile phone. It simplifies and shortens the interaction process, and makes obvious the delays and small irritations of dealing with a control knob (whether iDrive or others). Experience will tell if it seems just as sweet when driving in traffic, but it has that potential.

The other technological items were also advanced and unique. BMW gave a number (27?) of features that were new and exclusive to the car. For the most part they appeared well-integrated into the driving experience and not mere toys and gimmicks. The dashboard indications, for instance, were cleaner and easier to read than in the current series.

The ability to control four functions by waving a hand evoked a smile. It is unclear to me whether it will be useful after the first few tests.

In both my private conversations and formal presentations with the BMW people (including current BMWNA VP Chris Koenders) I got the feeling that the new model would back away a bit from the uninvolved and isolated road/driving dynamic that has permeated the current models. I hope so.

Finally - the car is about 1" longer and 1" wider than the current model. That makes the 200 lb. weight reduction more notable and significant.

Reference: I am not a fan of big and/or heavy cars. I have several BMW's, which are mainly M3's, 1M, Z8 (I do have one M5). I respect past 7 models, but have no use for the current 7 (except for having to help my Dad design and buy one). I obviously like the brand but have no hesitation in not liking some things about it, especially the current generation. I came prepared to see, frown at and not like a new version of the current F-series.

That did not happen. This is a very nice car and I'll be anxious to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #144
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I'm going to the one next Sat at BMW Headquarters in Montvale, NJ. What do people wear for an event like this?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #145
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
I just saw the new 7 yesterday in Houston. It was presented outdoors as a slightly-darker version of Space Grey Metallic on a slightly-yellow Beige and indoors as an Alpine White on Black.

It is simply a beautiful vehicle. The exterior design is gorgeous, with the blandness of the current 7 replaced by a more interesting appearance that has a few subtle sporty/aggressive details. It looks better in the darker color than the white.

The appearance of the interior was not quite as striking to me. It is certainly attractive - the detailing of the seat design and the trim(s) are nicely implemented. But the update over the current interior seemed to me more of a revision instead of a new statement. One big improvement is the elimination of the "plastic" appearance underpinning many aspects of the current interior.

But the interior is remarkable in the new and so far unique technology that BMW has developed and produced. The touch screen fulfills the goal of duplicating the feel and use of tablet or mobile phone. It simplifies and shortens the interaction process, and makes obvious the delays and small irritations of dealing with a control knob (whether iDrive or others). Experience will tell if it seems just as sweet when driving in traffic, but it has that potential.

The other technological items were also advanced and unique. BMW gave a number (27?) of features that were new and exclusive to the car. For the most part they appeared well-integrated into the driving experience and not mere toys and gimmicks. The dashboard indications, for instance, were cleaner and easier to read than in the current series.

The ability to control four functions by waving a hand evoked a smile. It is unclear to me whether it will be useful after the first few tests.

In both my private conversations and formal presentations with the BMW people (including current BMWNA VP Chris Koenders) I got the feeling that the new model would back away a bit from the uninvolved and isolated road/driving dynamic that has permeated the current models. I hope so.

Finally - the car is about 1" longer and 1" wider than the current model. That makes the 200 lb. weight reduction more notable and significant.

Reference: I am not a fan of big and/or heavy cars. I have several BMW's, which are mainly M3's, 1M, Z8 (I do have one M5). I respect past 7 models, but have no use for the current 7 (except for having to help my Dad design and buy one). I obviously like the brand but have no hesitation in not liking some things about it, especially the current generation. I came prepared to see, frown at and not like a new version of the current F-series.

That did not happen. This is a very nice car and I'll be anxious to drive it.
Good write up, shame for me the car is wider/longer the M6 Gc is big enough for UK roads never mind this extra width.
      05-28-2015, 07:24 PM   #146
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767
I'm going to the one next Sat at BMW Headquarters in Montvale, NJ. What do people wear for an event like this?
It's officially Woodcliff Lake, NJ.

Wear casual attire. You can also wear jeans if you like with a blazer.

Have Fun!
      05-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #147
gbelton
TheArchitect
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Driving Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Hmm...