BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

10-19-2021, 07:23 AM   #199
M3GALLY
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2020 MDX, 2003 c320

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M3xdriveMann View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I'm completing my Residency and have learned that idiot posters like the one you are responding to reflect the viewpoints of a lot of American society. Doctors are sadly not respected and mistrusted.

The opportunity cost of Medicine is what has made it an increasingly hard sell. I'm in my late 20s and have a very limited investment portfolio with 6 figure debt. Not to mention so many key years of my 20s spent studying and working endlessly, and therefore so many life experiences left unfulfilled. Yet the average idiot thinks Doctors earn too much when in reality America's healthcare problems have nothing to do with Physician compensation. Insurance companies, politicians, medical schools, residency programs, nursing/PA/NP unions enrich themselves at our expense. We sacrifice so much only to be told off by posters like the above and politicians who think we don't pay our "fair share" in taxes.

Sure not a lot of professions offer a $250k-300k salary by time time you hit your late 20s, but they also don't require a minimum of 7 years training AFTER college. 4 years of that you don't earn a penny and are instead raking in eye watering debt.

I can't quite say I regret it yet, but part of my wonders where I'd be had I instead opted for tech fields like some of my friends did. I started undergrad a decade ago, was only 17 at the time, and didn't know shit. Was told all my life that Medicine is the most lucrative field and went ahead with it. Reality is with Medicine you have to be in it for the long haul. The money comes, but at what cost? And these days with how expensive everything, notably student loans and real estate have become, you need a dual income Physician or Physician-Tech/IB/VC household to really feel well off.
100%.

My wife is a doc. Was barely "getting by" until she finished residency.
Get this... nurses are leaving our ER for traveling gigs making 8K per week working 30 hrs/wk LOL. That's way more than even ER docs make. But don't hate the player. Hate the game...
they're underpaid - they're at the bedside all day. Taking complaints, wiping asses and dealing with families. And these big sign on opportunities usually aren't for cushy gigs. The travel nurses travel to hot spots and even when they aren't that busy as the travel guy they give them the worst assignments.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 08:01 AM   #200
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Pretty sure I could drive a 15-year old 3-series on less than $100k/year.
      10-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #201
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80M3xdriveMann View Post
100%.

My wife is a doc. Was barely "getting by" until she finished residency.
Get this... nurses are leaving our ER for traveling gigs making 8K per week working 30 hrs/wk LOL. That's way more than even ER docs make. But don't hate the player. Hate the game...
Was going to say...If you want to enter medicine for the money, become an RN. They can easily make more than docs do, without the crushing med school loans to service.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 08:54 AM   #202
KithM4isBae
Private
Rep
Drives: Kith M4, V60 polestar, SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM3GALLY View Post
they're underpaid - they're at the bedside all day. Taking complaints, wiping asses and dealing with families. And these big sign on opportunities usually aren't for cushy gigs. The travel nurses travel to hot spots and even when they aren't that busy as the travel guy they give them the worst assignments.
Yup! I love my nurses. So many docs take them for granted. Honestly couldn't do what they do.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 08:57 AM   #203
Bluer2
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80

I make $7.25 an hour
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #204
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Dx 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Pretty sure I could drive a 15-year old 3-series on less than $100k/year.
People here do that with under 50K a year
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #205
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I'm just a beat cop and I do just fine owning my '08 M3. However, everyone who sees it makes the same joke, asking what the department is paying me. That I get paid too much. I got those same jokes when I bought my first BMW, '06 330i back in 2010. So hilarious.... By the way, I work on my own cars so maintenance is not expensive.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #206
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
I'm just a beat cop and I do just fine owning my '08 M3. However, everyone who sees it makes the same joke, asking what the department is paying me. That I get paid too much. I got those same jokes when I bought my first BMW, '06 330i back in 2010. So hilarious.... By the way, I work on my own cars so maintenance is not expensive.
People's perception these days is very skewed by the low intelligence level that we see at an aggregate... most F150s today cost 55-60k but that never gets called out.
      10-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #207
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
They're not far off though. At my old department pretty much every officer made six figures with OT. Night watch Sgt's would even make more than the brass some years; that's pushing towards 200K/year.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #208
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

The unemployment I’ve been collecting has allowed me to afford my X2 on a 9 year loan. Once my worker’s comp kicks in from the Prime delivery job I had I’m hoping I can upgrade to an X4 for Christmas. Crossing fingers on another stimulus check.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #209
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I live in the most affluent county in the Kansas City area (median household income in 2020 was ~$91K), I'm married, have two teenagers, and bought my 2016 M235 new for $48K with cash back in 2016. I was making around $100K at the time and my wife a stay-at-home mom. My wife and I have been somewhat frugal and we're very good with money, but we still like nice things, just not much of them. For me, it's a nicer car. My neighbors think I'm Mr. Moneybags because I drive a BMW, yet don't think twice about my various neighbors newer $60-75K pickups, boats, their gun hobbies, etc. LOL

$100K/yr in Kansas City goes MILES further than $100K/yr in most nicer areas on the coasts and other preferred living areas like Denver, the Southwest, etc. Colleagues in the same position as myself in places like San Francisco, the Northeast, Atlanta, Denver, etc. make at least $50K-$100K more than myself. Though the price of goods is generally within 10%, the differences in the cost of housing is HUGE and that's where the difference in salary comes into play. My $300k house in KC would be worth $500K-1.5M+ in other areas of the country. A lot of people fail to understand that the massive differences in salary are almost entirely based on the cost of housing.

In Kansas City, you're in the vast minority if you household income exceeds $200K/yr. The majority of households get by just fine making less than $70K/yr.

Last edited by XutvJet; 10-19-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #210
translux
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Manual

Quote:
Yah it's crazy what people think when they see the various brands.
Good friend of mine worked with the "old money crowd". Many years ago he got a lot of flack for driving a black MB S-class. He looked to me for advice on what he should get. Needed AWD and something comfortable. Got a Audi A8 V8TT short wheel base in silver and never had an issue again. Got a new one every two years in the exact color combo for at least a decade. He's retired and still driving an Audi. Last gen S8+ as he finds the new one to big. Says he's basically invisible.
Notable-Giulia QV, MK7 Golf R man,991 Turbo,CTS-V3, CTS-V2 man Speed INC. build, E60 M5 SMG, E46 M3 ZCP man, E39 M5, E39 540 man, Porsche Cayenne Turbo EVOMS build, EVO X AMS build, Blobeye STI, 83’ RX-7 built by Alan Jackson racing, Volvo 164e
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #211
AM2021
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2021

Salary is relative. $100k in Alabama is different than $100k in California.
Appreciate 3
00SH4WN84.50
GrussGott18113.00
      10-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #212
jailonacs99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 xDrive Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post
The unemployment I've been collecting has allowed me to afford my X2 on a 9 year loan. Once my worker's comp kicks in from the Prime delivery job I had I'm hoping I can upgrade to an X4 for Christmas. Crossing fingers on another stimulus check.
Make sure you roll the negative equity on the X2 into the X4 loan
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #213
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
The unemployment I’ve been collecting has allowed me to afford my X2 on a 9 year loan. Once my worker’s comp kicks in from the Prime delivery job I had I’m hoping I can upgrade to an X4 for Christmas. Crossing fingers on another stimulus check.
The American dream.... 2021 edition

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #214
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
As a doctor, would have to disagree completely. Didn't go into it for the money, and would say the majority of people do not go into it for the money. If you want to make a ton of money, you would probably not go into medicine. Medicine affords a decent salary for relatively low risk, when you get to the end of the road. But you lose a ton of investing years because of medschool and training. I remember thinking wow, my classmate in college who went into I-banking started at 22 to make 300k/year. I made about 30-50k until I was 32.

Besides the cost of medical school (and I went to a state school so it wasn't terrible but still, after college still hurts), I then made about 30-50k/year for the next 6 years doing internship, residency and fellowship, working about 80-100 hours/week. In order to get into residency and fellowship, you had to rack up huge debt on your credit card travelling to different states and programs. I never paid that credit card off until end of the first year of my first real job.

Totally not fair to say most go into medicine as a business to make money. Part of the distrust of science and medicine that we see these days goes to poorly thought out views like this that are tossed around the internet without any research or data to back it up.
I'm completing my Residency and have learned that idiot posters like the one you are responding to reflect the viewpoints of a lot of American society. Doctors are sadly not respected and mistrusted.

The opportunity cost of Medicine is what has made it an increasingly hard sell. I'm in my late 20s and have a very limited investment portfolio with 6 figure debt. Not to mention so many key years of my 20s spent studying and working endlessly, and therefore so many life experiences left unfulfilled. Yet the average idiot thinks Doctors earn too much when in reality America's healthcare problems have nothing to do with Physician compensation. Insurance companies, politicians, medical schools, residency programs, nursing/PA/NP unions enrich themselves at our expense. We sacrifice so much only to be told off by posters like the above and politicians who think we don't pay our "fair share" in taxes.

Sure not a lot of professions offer a $250k-300k salary by time time you hit your late 20s, but they also don't require a minimum of 7 years training AFTER college. 4 years of that you don't earn a penny and are instead raking in eye watering debt.

I can't quite say I regret it yet, but part of my wonders where I'd be had I instead opted for tech fields like some of my friends did. I started undergrad a decade ago, was only 17 at the time, and didn't know shit. Was told all my life that Medicine is the most lucrative field and went ahead with it. Reality is with Medicine you have to be in it for the long haul. The money comes, but at what cost? And these days with how expensive everything, notably student loans and real estate have become, you need a dual income Physician or Physician-Tech/IB/VC household to really feel well off.
This is a really great post. Thanks! The discipline needed to be a doctor, if applied to investments etc could lead to equally large incomes IMHO, I have seen that many times. None of the doctor friends I have did it for the money. Not saying there aren't any, but that is true of any service profession as well…
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #215
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
The American dream.... 2021 edition
Sadly.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 06:25 AM   #216
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
That's correct. US healthcare care is like number 15-20 and behind countries where doctors make less than $100K. So that gives me an idea that most doctors are overpaid. Also I've seen enough doctors in my life to conclude that they don't care and simply go in the field for the money. Case in point - so many Indians come here and rush to dental or medical field. Most of you don't have a calling to heal people nor feed people with Subways nor fuel American cars with owning every damn gas station. I know enough Patels- it's for the money, lol
Wow way to COMPLETELY miss the point.

There are so many things wrong here I don't even know where to begin. I don't think anything I say will change your narrow minded views.... but what the hell.

Doctors make a tiny fraction of what the hospital groups charge per patient, as outlined in the post you ignored. If the Healthcare system is screwed up it's definitely not due to doctor salaries. But I guess misinformed people only see what physicians make. They don't see things like the cost for facilities, the cost for medical equipment, the salaries of the executives running the hospital groups, etc. Physician salaries are miniscule in comparison.

Referencing countries where doctors make less than $100k without also referencing things like licensing requirements and... you know.... adjusting for things like cost of living and compared to other wages within the country... is just short sighted. And in regards to licensing, the US has stricter education requirements for physicians, where physicians from many countries aren't able to transfer over their qualifications to the US without further education and testing.

The requirements themselves are intense. Beyond a 4 year degree, there's another 4 years for med school, then 3-4 years of residency where you're working your ass off making $40k a year, then maybe another 2-3 years of fellowship which is again working your ass off for maybe $50k a year. Finally you're in your field, but the stress can be insane. Long hours, nights, people trying to sue you just to make a buck even though you're doing everything in your power to help them. Patients who make it sound like it's your fault they're in the situation they're in and accusing you of not working some sort of magic to fix them. Did I mention people trying to sue you? It's one of the most stressful fields you can be in.

I know many people who've tried to go into medicine for the money and they fail. It's not easy to become a physician. But your remarks about Indians really takes the cake. Majority of physicians in the US are white btw. So I'm really not sure why you decided to bring race into this... as if somehow Indians specifically probably aren't in it for the virtues of helping people.

Asians as a whole (this includes Indians, Chinese, etc) make up about 17% of the physician workforce, and most are 2nd generation... meaning they were born here in the US.

And to your last remark about comparing physicians to people who run Subways or gas stations.... im sorry but that's just not worthy of a response.
In 1988, Australian pilots went on a strike lasting eight months.

At the beginning of the strike, the then Australian Prime Minister Bob Hawke, in a televised statement, called the pilots "glorified taxi drivers" and threatened to replace them all with airforce pilots.

Obviously he was wrong on both counts; the strike didn't end because there were no taxi drivers capable of flying 747s. Nor did any airforce pilots ever fly a civilian craft unless they had retired from the airforce.

I guess our esteemed friend must be related to the dotard Australian PM - I wonder if our friend had a heartattack and an Indian surgeon brought him back to life, would he be as shallow then?

I salute you for such elegant breakdown of reality in the face of idiocy.

You, being a doctor, would perhaps know more about this than I, there's a cure for almost every disease; stupidity is sadly not one of those.

wtwo317864.00
      10-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #217
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM2021 View Post
Salary is relative. $100k in Alabama is different than $100k in California.
This is an interesting statement. Do they pay less in Alabama because it's cheaper to live there or do they work for less in Alabama because it's cheaper to live there? $100k is the same in both states, I presume. It's just the life quality in California is probably higher and that should justify the price, like you get as much as you pay. If you live in a shitty place, you don't need much money to stay there, but you do need much money to escape. It's like your choice where to spend your $100k and what you'll get for it. If you can have it in either state, of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #218
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
This is an interesting statement. Do they pay less in Alabama because it's cheaper to live there or do they work for less in Alabama because it's cheaper to live there? $100k is the same in both states, I presume. It's just the life quality in California is probably higher and that should justify the price, like you get as much as you pay. If you live in a shitty place, you don't need much money to stay there, but you do need much money to escape. It's like your choice where to spend your $100k and what you'll get for it. If you can have it in either state, of course.
Yeah, you completely missed the point of the original statement. It's not about why someone in one place is paid more than the person in another place, it's about what people can get for their money in one place vs. the other.

$100k goes a lot farther in Alabama than it does in Cali - to wit, it's a lot more financially feasible to drive a $100k car in Alabama than it is in Cali, since the person in Alabama is paying a fraction of what the person in Cali is for housing/food/gas/utilities.
      10-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #219
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
Yeah, you completely missed the point of the original statement. It's not about why someone in one place is paid more than the person in another place, it's about what people can get for their money in one place vs. the other.

$100k goes a lot farther in Alabama than it does in Cali - to wit, it's a lot more financially feasible to drive a $100k car in Alabama than it is in Cali, since the person in Alabama is paying a fraction of what the person in Cali is for housing/food/gas/utilities.
I know, I just picked on an assessment that can just be true or not depending on the context instead of contributing to the thread.

And still, do you mean to tell me a $100k car is a more common thing in Alabama than it is in Cali? Driving a stand out car can be just a trouble that you'll get for your money: it should attract too much envious/criminal attention. I mean, once you can afford a $100k car it might be the time to move from Alabama to California.

It just reminded me of an anecdote. A person went to buy a Corolla but the salesman convinced him a Land Cruiser was much better. So the person sold his house and bought a Land Cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #220
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Is is safe to say the 99% of bmw owners make over 100k? With these cars costing so much I'm just wondering where owners are in terms of salary? Not sure who people can afford so much for a car these days.
PS: I buy used.
https://hedgescompany.com/blog/2019/...-demographics/

Demographic of BMW owners...
Appreciate 5
GrussGott18113.00
wtwo317864.00