BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

02-13-2024, 12:14 PM   #1
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Active Lane Change

The My BMW app just send me a note that active lange change with confirmation by looking in the mirror is now available via software upgrade - but requires a dealer visit. I must say I have been befuddled by how to do active lane change and I guess it was just not there.

Now I would like BMW to do the same with the European headlight system that is deactivated by default in the US - but I understand is now permissible. It is strange that the highway safety folks have not considered seeing at night as a an important enough safety issue to allow cars her to have better headlight systems.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 02-13-2024 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 12:18 PM   #2
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
I received the same prompt.

23 740i
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:10 PM   #3
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

I also got it
2023 740i
Let’s see who does it first

I didn’t think that we had the hardware for this
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 01:34 PM   #4
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 740xi

My 2024 already has it and it is essentially two different functions. The caveat is that you need to be using the bmw embedded navigation for it to work. I just used it on a 7 hour trip down the East Coast this past weekend, quite extensively.

1) if you have BMW nav set, it will change lanes automatically without you looking if it needs to get over for the route, say to get to an exit lane.

2) if you have BMW nav set, it will make recommendations to go around traffic or to get out of a passing lane and will prompt you to look at the corresponding mirror to make the change. If you don't look it won't change the lane.

It actually works quite well, but I found that the active lane change is more aggressive than the auto lane change (when you flick the stalk and it changes lanes because you initiate it). It tends to overshoot the lane a little bit compared to the auto lane change which is very smooth. I also think the naming is confusing since technically that latter is not automatic it's initiated.

The other thing is I wish it did not change lanes automatically based on the route for exits because I wasn't even looking at the mirrors when it was doing it. It happened too quickly for me to realize and it made me a bit uncomfortable.

Otherwise, it's a very impressive system which I imagine will continue to get ota updates to help smooth out the performance.

As for the headlights, I have it on good authority that the reason they still have not fully activated matrix lighting is because there are state and locality laws which are still in effect that are causing the federal acceptance to be superseded. They are still navigating this. It's strange since most of there other state impacted laws just throw up a disclaimer like for remote start and highway assist.

Last edited by Ice4life; 02-13-2024 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
pegogetem129.50
      02-13-2024, 03:04 PM   #5
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I also got it
2023 740i
Let’s see who does it first

I didn’t think that we had the hardware for this
Exact thing I thought!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 04:03 PM   #6
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice4life View Post
My 2024 already has it and it is essentially two different functions. The caveat is that you need to be using the bmw embedded navigation for it to work. I just used it on a 7 hour trip down the East Coast this past weekend, quite extensively.

1) if you have BMW nav set, it will change lanes automatically without you looking if it needs to get over for the route, say to get to an exit lane.

2) if you have BMW nav set, it will make recommendations to go around traffic or to get out of a passing lane and will prompt you to look at the corresponding mirror to make the change. If you don't look it won't change the lane.

It actually works quite well, but I found that the active lane change is more aggressive than the auto lane change (when you flick the stalk and it changes lanes because you initiate it). It tends to overshoot the lane a little bit compared to the auto lane change which is very smooth. I also think the naming is confusing since technically that latter is not automatic it's initiated.

The other thing is I wish it did not change lanes automatically based on the route for exits because I wasn't even looking at the mirrors when it was doing it. It happened too quickly for me to realize and it made me a bit uncomfortable.

Otherwise, it's a very impressive system which I imagine will continue to get ota updates to help smooth out the performance.

As for the headlights, I have it on good authority that the reason they still have not fully activated matrix lighting is because there are state and locality laws which are still in effect that are causing the federal acceptance to be superseded. They are still navigating this. It's strange since most of there other state impacted laws just throw up a disclaimer like for remote start and highway assist.
Glad to see BMW finally is adding this ... was saddened that my Chevy pickup w/ SuperCruise could do this already (without me looking).

Annoyed I need a dealer visit to get the feature and it's not OTA!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 07:23 PM   #7
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Quote:

I have a 2024 (i7) which I picked up a few months ago. There have been a number of occasions where the car wanted to ensure I worked my way over to an exit and automatically put its turn signal on and started to go over on its own. However, I was using Apple Maps and not the native BMW nav system so that doesn't appear to be a strict requirement. ALSO, I THINK -- but am not sure -- that this is already part of the Driving Assistance Professional package, and not specifically Active Lane Change. I could be wrong.

What's curious to me is you DO state you get a prompt suggesting a lane change and by looking in the mirror, the change was initiated. That definitely IS Active Lane Change; no doubt about it.

That said, I kind of wonder, inasmuch as I own the latest/2024 model, if I either don't have that in my car, or maybe I've simply not noticed it. The latter is possible because I've only owned the car for 2 1/2 months and as a retiree, don't drive a lot. But also, I just went outside and looked in the vehicle's updated (from the OS upgrade a few days ago) e-manual and didn't find "Active Lane..." there.

May I ask what the prompt on the screen looks like or says that then waits for you to check your mirror...?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 06:15 AM   #8
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I have a 2024 (i7) which I picked up a few months ago. There have been a number of occasions where the car wanted to ensure I worked my way over to an exit and automatically put its turn signal on and started to go over on its own. However, I was using Apple Maps and not the native BMW nav system so that doesn't appear to be a strict requirement. ALSO, I THINK -- but am not sure -- that this is already part of the Driving Assistance Professional package, and not specifically Active Lane Change. I could be wrong.

What's curious to me is you DO state you get a prompt suggesting a lane change and by looking in the mirror, the change was initiated. That definitely IS Active Lane Change; no doubt about it.

That said, I kind of wonder, inasmuch as I own the latest/2024 model, if I either don't have that in my car, or maybe I've simply not noticed it. The latter is possible because I've only owned the car for 2 1/2 months and as a retiree, don't drive a lot. But also, I just went outside and looked in the vehicle's updated (from the OS upgrade a few days ago) e-manual and didn't find "Active Lane..." there.

May I ask what the prompt on the screen looks like or says that then waits for you to check your mirror...?
Strange I know the active lane change requires BMW nav. To be set as I read it on other forums. Try using the bmw nav and see if it works with that.

It pops up an arrow in a box and will give a prompt like traffic ahead would you like to change lanes look at the mirror. Or you're in a passing lane would you like to change lanes look at the mirror for example. Then when you look it will change the lane. If you don't look after about 5 seconds it just goes away. I prefer this to the one where it changes without you looking.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:38 AM   #9
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Strange I know the active lane change requires BMW nav. To be set as I read it on other forums. Try using the bmw nav and see if it works with that.

It pops up an arrow in a box and will give a prompt like traffic ahead would you like to change lanes look at the mirror. Or you're in a passing lane would you like to change lanes look at the mirror for example. Then when you look it will change the lane. If you don't look after about 5 seconds it just goes away. I prefer this to the one where it changes without you looking.
Well, at least I know while using my preferred Apple Maps it DOES activate the turn signal automatically when nearing a freeway exit and I'm almost certain it will actually change the lane. I say this because the 2-3 times it happened in my so-far short period of ownership it freaked me out and I had to wrench it back into my current lane (THEN I realized on both occasions that I was in a #1 or #2 lane and my exist was in the next mile or two).

But heck, enough of this speculation. I'll go out onto some freeways to specifically and extensively check all these conditions in both BMW and Apple navigation and report back here. There's a couple of places across the (SF) Bay with world class sandwiches and pizza I've been jonesin' for lately so this will give me a good excuse to test all on the San Mateo Bridge following a slow-moving truck and on when approaching my various exits on the Peninsula! A little reward for my "trouble."
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:10 PM   #10
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Appointment for the end of the month. They said I will be the first one. Hope all goes well.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:45 PM   #11
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I'll go out onto some freeways to specifically and extensively check all these conditions...
As I mentioned above, I specifically tested this today on 65 mile trip. I DO have Active Lane Change in my 2024 i7. I used BMW navigation (I didn't try it w/Apple Maps) and sure enough when I was gaining on a vehicle ahead of me I got the prompt (visual and audible) and looked in the side view mirror - it did the lane change. This has been working since my first trip in early December and I didn't realize it or what it was, really. Cool!
Appreciate 1
pegogetem129.50
      02-17-2024, 08:36 AM   #12
bmwmastertech
Rep
Drives: All Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Glad to see BMW finally is adding this ... was saddened that my Chevy pickup w/ SuperCruise could do this already (without me looking).

Annoyed I need a dealer visit to get the feature and it's not OTA!
The module that accepts the token for ALC doesn’t have OTA capabilities. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 08:52 AM   #13
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmastertech View Post
The module that accepts the token for ALC doesn’t have OTA capabilities. Sorry.
Does this "activation" require a flash of all ECUs or a certificate install/activation only?

I ask because I currently have added H-Words to my VO for SBR reminder chimes OFF and 5AP removed for Euro Anti-Dazzle LEDs active on my i7, so I don't want to risk losing these operational features by turning on this feature that I will irregularly use in comparison to the other options which add daily value.

I want to confirm that BMW backend VO for my vehicle will not be used to recode all ECUs on my vehicle if I ask the dealer to active the look to change lanes
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #14
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'd like to add that using Active Lane Change is a bit unnerving. Why do I say? Remember, if you opt to use them, there are now TWO lane change systems that take over your car during lane changes but are invoked differently:

1. Auto Lane Change -- where you first decide to change lanes, then depress the turn signal stalk to the point of resistance (i.e., w/out locking it into position); and

2. Active Lane Change -- where the vehicle suggests that you make the lane change (and does so after you "confirm" by looking into the appropriate mirror).

BOTH systems will cause the vehicle to aggressively change lanes fairly quickly with some g-force -- less than it would if you were smoothly guiding it yourself (my understanding is that it was engineered that way here in the US to facilitate shorter car following distances). HOWEVER, at least with AUTO Lane Change, YOU make the decision and presumably have checked for clearance that it is safe to do so. With ACTIVE Lane Change, that personal safety checking is substantially removed.

Admittedly, when I used it yesterday (I've had my i7 since November but this is the first time I realized I had it in name and specifically took advantage of it), the instrument cluster screen notification, my confirmation, and the actual lane change happened so quickly, I felt an overwhelming chill in anticipation of horns honking and a crash. You have to TRUST the car, but trust is something earned. I think after I use it a few more times it WILL earn that trust. This is why I say that using it -- at least initially -- is unnerving. Having said that, I'm not 100% certain this feature is needed. Honestly, if you're coming up on a slow moving car, it might be just as well for you to ignore the suggestion prompt and reserve a lane-making decision for yourself after you've personally checked clearance, Clarence (anybody remember "Airplane?").
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      02-17-2024, 12:28 PM   #15
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

With auto lane change you don't have to only hit the signal to the point of resistance. You can push it all the way up and it'll do it once you pull the stalk back.

It can be a bit unnerving. But I've used the system quite a bit and so trust it.
Appreciate 1
pegogetem129.50
      02-17-2024, 01:09 PM   #16
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
With auto lane change you don't have to only hit the signal to the point of resistance. You can push it all the way up and it'll do it once you pull the stalk back.

It can be a bit unnerving. But I've used the system quite a bit and so trust it.
For me, AUTO Lane Change is perfectly fine since I scan the area behind me before I invoke it. ACTIVE Lane Change however is a bit harrowing as it affords you little opportunity to check. For the latter, I'm still working on the "quite a bit" usage stage to make me comfortable.
Appreciate 1
darylp310951.50
      02-22-2024, 12:46 PM   #17
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My car is in now getting this update
Let’s see what happens
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 03:52 PM   #18
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update is done
Will try it later

How do I use it, when not using bmw nav?
I always use waze via CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 06:54 PM   #19
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I tried it on my way home today, I did help me merge on the highway and auto lane change near the exit (item 1 form the original poster)

However I could not get it to change lanes for passing at all

Is there somewhere I drive that I need to enable this?

I tried everything but it never prompted me over a half hour on the highway
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 07:10 PM   #20
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep

It only works if the bmw nav is in use.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 08:22 PM   #21
Gemini7866