BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

12-27-2023, 07:38 PM   #23
acerbix
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwterp View Post
I like the way you think! I actually have a lot of confidence that BMW is working hard to make this happen.

But, Tesla? Not so confident.

Regardless, I suspect that the overall charging solutions for us will be mostly a non factor sometime between 2025-2027.
Tesla can make a lot of money through their charging network - and Elon loves proving everyone else stupid - as happened w/ CCS vs NACS. So Tesla should not slow this down. In fact there are a few sites where you can already charge CCS cars using Tesla’s magic adapter : here
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 07:39 PM   #24
acerbix
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroMike View Post
I know THIS for a 100% fact: When it DOES happen, I'll REALLY get a charge out of things! [Ba-DUM-tssshhh]
Mike drop!
Appreciate 1
DroMike169.50
      12-30-2023, 09:07 AM   #25
bmwterp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW I5M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerbix View Post
Tesla can make a lot of money through their charging network - and Elon loves proving everyone else stupid - as happened w/ CCS vs NACS. So Tesla should not slow this down. In fact there are a few sites where you can already charge CCS cars using Tesla’s magic adapter : here
Yeah. Very familiar with the magic doc. I own a Tesla too. Right now that's only available on a few SCs, and with the recent commitments from other cars to go to their charger, I doubt that's a key project at Telsa anymore.

But, if you follow Elon and Tesla, there's a mountain of promises that never come true. I do think that at some point, most if not all of the SC network will be available to BMW (as they signed that partnership). But, I would not count on it right away. I think Elon has a plan to own the charging network, but I suspect he does not want to give it all away right away
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2024, 01:37 PM   #26
bnzvett1
Rep

I currently own a Model S P100D and have an i7 on the way. I'm really not sure how the non-tesla charging is going to work. All of the super chargers I have used in my area have very short, thick, stiff cables. The charge port on a Tesla is on the driver's side in the rear. The marked lanes at the super chargers are designed so that the vehicle is backed in such that the charging station will be on the driver's side. In this position the cable barely reaches the car. Not sure how you will charge a non-tesla if the vehicle charging port is on the rear passenger side or if it is in the front on the drivers side without interfering with the spot next to you. They will either have to redesign the station layout (make it look more like a gas station), substantially increase the length of the charging cable, or non tesla vehicles will have to use some sort of extension cable. Not sure if a third party extension cable would be that safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 06:58 PM   #27
A-Train
Rep
Drives: i7

I did the switch recently from Model S (the current "refresh") to i7. So glad I switched. The Tesla was really quite good in terms of performance, space, and reliability of the tech and its ease of use. Tesla service is brutal and the dealership physically was so tired and staff -- while very nice -- too often seemed unorganized. The lack of massaging seats, soft-close doors, 360 surround view parking, warning lights on the side mirrors, and a bunch of other such features is just not acceptable to me anymore. I liked the yoke but not the lack of a central horn or turn signal stalks. The suspension, even on 19s that I switched to from 21s, was just too rough and unsophisticated. After a couple years of it, I simply wanted something much more luxurious and that just feels really nice and solid and current; hence the i7. I can't believe how outdated the Model S felt after driving the i7. I truly enjoyed my Tesla and it was just time to move on. I didn't consider any other car besides the i7. Lucid interior was nice but not special to me like the i7 and I didn't really consider Lucid; too many anecdotes that show they are trying hard but still a startup working out tons of kinks; regardless, I don't really like the exterior design. I didn't consider the EQS because of its design / looks. There really wasn't much else to consider in the luxury EV sedan space but thankfully, I loved the i7 and didn't buy it by default. I really wanted it and am glad I got it.

Last edited by A-Train; 03-12-2024 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:33 PM   #28
Laguna Beach
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

Tesla is too austere and Lucid is just a step above but not luxury like the i7. Plus you need to be under 6 foot and under 50 years old to make the Lucid work. It ain’t easy getting in and out of this thing. Almost as bad as a Taycan. I think if model S owners tested the i7 it would be a no brainer. But I honestly like that the i7 isn’t ubiquitous and is still a head turner cause people still don’t know what it is.
Lucid called me every couple of weeks last year to tell me of a new deal or new deadline they had. The sales guy was super nice but they sounded desperate.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 06:34 AM   #29
GSI905
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY22 Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspete75 View Post
I had a Model S Plaid, and I thought the speed and the technology was incredible at pick up. Soon I found the technology was glitchy and the interior was comfortable but not luxury. For at the time a $140k car I didn't seem to get much and the final service issue and the lack of communication from the service center and uber credits was enough for me to go back to BMW. Drove the i7 60 and knew I needed to move on. 5 days later the dealer located me the build I wanted, and I haven't looked back. So appreciate and love the way a BMW is built, and they have come a very very long way in the last 2 years. iDrive 8.5, driving assist, and battery are exceeding expectations. Sure I cant drive door to door on autopilot, but I drive in a much more comfortable actual operating vehicle with a full steering wheel.

Bought an adaptor on amazon for the tesla charger in garage and zero issues. I'd do it again, and again, and again! 3 yrs of supercharger credits too which isn't too bad either as I have 2 locations within 5 miles of my house if I ever didn't want to pay the electricity rate at home. I absolutely love the i7. Auto doors, soft close, interior - just top notch! I also ordered the model x plaid thinking I would lose the model s and after the i7 never looked back and ate the $250 deposit.
I agree with your points, I haven’t bought the I7 yet, but I got rid of my MS plaid for some exact reasons, at that time my window sticker was 150K, it felt like, premimun car at luxury car cost.
10 Mercedes S65
24 Bmw M2
Appreciate 0