BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-24-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
BDWonder
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

Comfort Plus

Hi,

Can anyone please give me the details on the drive mode in the 7er called Comfort Plus? Really interested to see if the suspension is even further softer and floaty, and if you can feel the car riding over bumps and holes on the road.
Thanks.

Also....is there a section here with the 7er residual values? Anyone know February data?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Hi,

By default, car starts in comfort mode, and upon pressing Comfort+, the ride noticeably softens further, so is much more floaty. I would also say that throttle response etc dumbs down a bit too, making everything much more relaxed and non-urgent.

You still do feel severe road imperfections and potholes, but definitely subdued over Comfort and Sport etc.

Most of my miles are motorway (highway) and my car spends 90% of its life in Comfort+ - much more comfortable than my previous Audi A8L on same journeys.

Hope that helps
Mark.
      02-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #3
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Hi,

By default, car starts in comfort mode, and upon pressing Comfort+, the ride noticeably softens further, so is much more floaty. I would also say that throttle response etc dumbs down a bit too, making everything much more relaxed and non-urgent.

You still do feel severe road imperfections and potholes, but definitely subdued over Comfort and Sport etc.

Most of my miles are motorway (highway) and my car spends 90% of its life in Comfort+ - much more comfortable than my previous Audi A8L on same journeys.

Hope that helps
Mark.
Thanks Mark!! This does help. So for my next lease, im looking for something that mutes the road, creates a luxurious and plush ride, luxurious suspension.
In what ways is your 7er more comfortable than your A8?

So, is it possible to choose suspension as Comfort Plus, while engine in Sport?

How do you like the runflats on your 7er? Do they interfere with the car's comfort on the road?

I despise runflats, and now only have non runflats. Makes an immense difference.

Thanks.

Last edited by BDWonder; 02-24-2019 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Hi,

The ride in the A8L was wallowy in Comfort mode, and harsh in Sport mode, whereas the 7er is controlled and “plush” in comfort/comfort+ modes, and still controlled but not harsh in Sport modes.

I have not played around with the individual settings yet to see if I can mix and match, as in Sport modes it drops down a gear to give the sporty response, and to be honest that is not what I want, so leave in Comfort+.

I had three A8’s on the bounce, and the 7er beats them all hands down, as A8’s also suffer with lots of road noise, no matter what tyre you use.

Over the 3 A8’s I ran with numerous tyre brands to try and improve this, and whilst the last set of Goodyear Eagle F1 SCT (with the foam inserts) were the best, the road noise was still greater than my 7er with Bridgestone runflats.

You really need to try a 7er, an S Class and a D5 A8L to see what works best for you, as the problem with most car reviews of these, especially in the UK, is from the rear seat perspective, rather than from that of the driver.

Most reviews put the S class on top for comfort, but again that is from the rear seat, however a recent UK review I saw put the 7er top from a drivers viewpoint.

Thanks
Mark
      02-24-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
BDWonder
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Hi,

The ride in the A8L was wallowy in Comfort mode, and harsh in Sport mode, whereas the 7er is controlled and “plush” in comfort/comfort+ modes, and still controlled but not harsh in Sport modes.

I have not played around with the individual settings yet to see if I can mix and match, as in Sport modes it drops down a gear to give the sporty response, and to be honest that is not what I want, so leave in Comfort+.

I had three A8’s on the bounce, and the 7er beats them all hands down, as A8’s also suffer with lots of road noise, no matter what tyre you use.

Over the 3 A8’s I ran with numerous tyre brands to try and improve this, and whilst the last set of Goodyear Eagle F1 SCT (with the foam inserts) were the best, the road noise was still greater than my 7er with Bridgestone runflats.

You really need to try a 7er, an S Class and a D5 A8L to see what works best for you, as the problem with most car reviews of these, especially in the UK, is from the rear seat perspective, rather than from that of the driver.

Most reviews put the S class on top for comfort, but again that is from the rear seat, however a recent UK review I saw put the 7er top from a drivers viewpoint.

Thanks
Mark
Understood. I think ill actually take a test drive for the 7er. I am interested to see how luxurious the ride truely is, as that is what i am looking for.
Thanks again for all the info Mark! Enjoy the beast.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I would take an extended test drive and find some rough roads as the suspension and RFT can get upset by high frequency bumps and they do thump through into the cabin badly with the 20" wheels I would look to 18" that have much deeper side walled tyres if you want comfort over response.
      03-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
Arturo_spain
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M760Li MY2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDWonder View Post
Thanks Mark!! This does help. So for my next lease, im looking for something that mutes the road, creates a luxurious and plush ride, luxurious suspension.
In what ways is your 7er more comfortable than your A8?

So, is it possible to choose suspension as Comfort Plus, while engine in Sport?

How do you like the runflats on your 7er? Do they interfere with the car's comfort on the road?

I despise runflats, and now only have non runflats. Makes an immense difference.

Thanks.

Hi

To answer your question on INDIVIDUAL setting, you can choose SPORT/CONFORT for engine & SPORT/CONFORT for suspension, no CONFORT+ in that mode.

In my opinion the most refined setting is ADAPTIVE mode, as it uses the front stereo camera & nav info to adapt the suspension (shocks, air springs & active anti-roll bars) to the actual road conditions, tarmac, bumps, upcoming curves, etc.. The confort is amazing & at the same time the body control is very acceptable.

Cheers

-M760Li MY2018
-RR Sport 4.4 SDV8 MY2016
-Mini Cooper Cabrio MY2018
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

Can you confirm the camera is only active in Adaptive mode?

I went back-and-forth on this a couple of years ago, and I couldn't get a straight answer. I thought the camera was always active?

I also have Turanza Serenities on my 7. They're pretty good. I wish Goodyear made the ComfortTread in 19s. That was the most comfortable and quietest tire I've ever had. The Serenity has been replaced in the past few weeks by the QuietTrack, I've heard. So I'm eyeing that as the tire for my new car.

I'd like to get the Continental ProContact TX, with the foam inserts, but all the reviews on them say they pop and burst too easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Arturo_spain
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M760Li MY2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
Can you confirm the camera is only active in Adaptive mode?

I went back-and-forth on this a couple of years ago, and I couldn't get a straight answer. I thought the camera was always active?

I also have Turanza Serenities on my 7. They're pretty good. I wish Goodyear made the ComfortTread in 19s. That was the most comfortable and quietest tire I've ever had. The Serenity has been replaced in the past few weeks by the QuietTrack, I've heard. So I'm eyeing that as the tire for my new car.

I'd like to get the Continental ProContact TX, with the foam inserts, but all the reviews on them say they pop and burst too easily.

Hi

The camera is always on (for safety features, sign reading, etc..) but it only interacts with suspension when driving in Adaptive mode.

Also depending on options there are 2 types of windshield cameras & now with the LCI 7 there's an even more advanced version.

-M760Li MY2018
-RR Sport 4.4 SDV8 MY2016
-Mini Cooper Cabrio MY2018
Appreciate 0