BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

04-16-2024, 08:50 AM   #1
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
(Soon to be) new owner of a g12

Good morning people of the forums,

I come from 4er forums!

I’ve been searching for a new vehicle for about the past year and a half, my f32 has been wonderful to me and I’m very sad to replace it. The only reason I’m looking to is cause it’s been 6 years and I’m looking into something new.

For quite some time, I debated between the f32 440 and the f06 650. Every 6 series I’ve driven I just can’t justify the price for what is now 2 generations and 10 years old. I absolutely adore them but something’s holding me back. F32’s still drive phenomenally but I consistently feel if I’m spending 30g’s then I might as well go for a 650 for the extra options, and the cycle continues.

Well, if you’ve seen my history, you know that I have an e38 in my stable. A 2000 750il with the v12. It is a dream car of mine and I’ve always wanted one, and I love the 7 platform as a whole (barring the new one)

When I worked at a BMW dealership, these were some of my favorite cars to drive. Such range and dynamics with the 6,8 and 12 cylinders and the fit and finish is just a step up. It’s a beautifully designed car and I’m partial to the pre-lci g12. With all that context in mind, the reason I’m posting today is because this weekend I’m going to be looking at a 2017 BMW 750 that I’m sure is the right one for me.

As a potentially new owner, n63’s are not new to me but I’ve never owned one. I’m very familiar with turbo lines and the pcv’s that these seem to chew through but outside of that, what are some general issues and maintenance that I should expect to be doing in the near future? The car has had 2 owners, and sits at 57k miles.

I’ll start a new thread if and when I buy and receive the car since I’ll be having it shipped to me, but thank you all in the mean time for your advice!
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:43 PM   #2
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Welcome.

I might be in the minority, and have seen a lot of posts poo'ing on the N63, but my N63 in my '18 G12 is an absolute trustworthy powerplant, and I have plenty of history on BMW's V-8's, and managed to keep an N62 running for 15 years.

With +58k miles on the odometer, I would not hesitate to take the car across country. During the recent 50k maintenance, my inspection of the drivetrain and original spark plugs supports there is another 100k miles (10 yrs of ownership) still left in the vehicle. There are a few things that are temperamental on this vehicle, but overall no more so than on my N55 platform.

My older version of the N63 in my LCI F02, with +87k miles, is a gem. You can't even tell if the engine is on at idle, and has every bit of the original +500 ponies...and no oil leaks....yet.

Hope to see you as a regular here on the G11/G12 forum.
Appreciate 1
djacinto373.00
      04-16-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Welcome.

I might be in the minority, and have seen a lot of posts poo'ing on the N63, but my N63 in my '18 G12 is an absolute trustworthy powerplant, and I have plenty of history on BMW's V-8's, and managed to keep an N62 running for 15 years.

With +58k miles on the odometer, I would not hesitate to take the car across country. During the recent 50k maintenance, my inspection of the drivetrain and original spark plugs supports there is another 100k miles (10 yrs of ownership) still left in the vehicle. There are a few things that are temperamental on this vehicle, but overall no more so than on my N55 platform.

My older version of the N63 in my LCI F02, with +87k miles, is a gem. You can't even tell if the engine is on at idle, and has every bit of the original +500 ponies...and no oil leaks....yet.

Hope to see you as a regular here on the G11/G12 forum.
Glad to hear it. I’m a current owner of an e38 750 as it’s a dream car of mine and I’ve loved these cars.

N63tu2’s and 3’s were reliable from what I saw at the dealership but I know they can be expensive. Based on the warranty work done on the car thus far, turbo coolant lines have been replaced twice so good to know they’ve been done.

I’ve got a lot planned for this car. One thing that I liked about the f30/32 community is you looked up a question, it was answered. While not entirely the case here, I hope as I learn and share my knowledge I can push the forums forward as a contributing member as I have on the others!
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      04-16-2024, 10:39 PM   #4
gizmo32
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 audi s4

its an amazing car im so impressed!

just picked up a g11 16 750i drove 1100kms yesterday to drive it home from vancouver, it was the most comfortable drive through the mountains ever!

I did my research on it most of the 750i i looked all all had upated coolant lines on top of the engine, including this one, i bought this one was blacked out everything on it including factory wheels from factory.

It is going for a inspection tomorrow at the local BMW dealership here so i can get it registered where i live as car was from a different province and have couple issues thats going to need to be fixed. I do my own oil changes but this time let dealer put some 5w30 penzoil euro in it i bought on sale few weeks ago, also going to put two bottles of liquimolly ceratec every oil change.

car currently in drivetrain malfunction mode with p0022 code (literally happened after driving one way 10km back to hotel, on my test drive before taking delivery everything was fine) , engine runs smooth as butter idles new just that stubborn code is there, was kinda bummed out when car’s speed goes above 100km/hr safemode prevents HP capped half what it is whole way in moutains can only drive 120km/hr max acceleration was awfully slow after 100km/hr, not a soul on the road was really hoping to enjoy the open mountain roads, will have to replace the cam solenoid and also i noted before taking delivery passenger door front soft close motor anytime door closes the motor is in loop for a minute trying to soft close it…annoying! other than that its an awesome car. interior is quiet no creaks or anything conditon still new even with 105,000kms.

Had BMW dealer replace both batteries and put on a new set michelin as3+ with four wheel alignment…and a 50% discount for all of this to be done. before i took delivery.

Also purchased the ‘New BMW Canada extended warranty’ it was confusing for a week for them to explain its third party but isnt third party as BMW has their brand on top but is run by a third party company…oh boy.

The soft close door issue will be paid for by the bmw dealership i bought from the drivetrain code issue will also be paid…if its a major issue, if its minor which im expecting it to be happily pay few hundred dollars to fix, we’ll see how this goes tomorrow

Peace of mind knowing have the warranty (some sarcasam) have 30 days to cancel the warranty.

you will love it although g12 is LWB so you will feel the weight more. I really say before you sign off on it do a long test drive get car operating temp put it in sport mode do a couple pulls, did a few pulls then the code came on, was interminataly clearing it self and coming back after every other startup i did in vancouver for few days i was there, drive it home now its always on.
Appreciate 2
      04-19-2024, 01:51 PM   #5
gizmo32
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 audi s4

UPDATE, local dealership failed inspection due to car having ‘front tint’ and drive train malfunction…repair turns out to be one of the turbo charger actuator, so replacing both acuators would of cost me $2750.

so then they sent the car to their tint shop they say car has no tint on front windows double panned glass had filter from factory haha.

Also soft closing door passenger side repair is replace the motor costs $2900.

Bmw dealership bought the car from was about to pay for the actuators then extended warranty I bought approved both repairs 100% just have to pay the $500 deductible.

So i could have pushed dealership to pay for it fully and not have to use warranty, gave them less headache they are taking care of the $500 deductible and are really happy about it.

I am kinda surprised warranty stepped in!

picking it up today although the door repair have to bring it back part is coming from Germany in a month.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 10:45 PM   #6
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Pictures of inside and out? (It's ok if it's dirty)...
Appreciate 0