BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-03-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Eric (Plug Guy)
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

3 q's on 2019: engine cooling fan, V-1, ignition off

Had the car about 7 weeks. 900 miles on it. Loaded 2019. Just installed V-1 and it's gone bonkers. Constant Laser alerts only. It's a newer V-1 and I assume I'll have to defeat the laser detection to get it functional from reading online reviews of the laser sensors in the car. Ticket into Valentine, figured someone's probably dealt with this from the gesture control feature.

Anyone had experience with this?

Second question - in all the driving thus far, car is off when off, and no blower fans going. Started late yesterday after a relatively short trip of less than 15 minutes, ambient temps in the 50's. Did it again today. Not surprised to hear the fan blowing (other vehicles I own do this) after exiting the car and car off, but strange it just started happening.

Last question: the car won't turn off. Dealer perplexed and may check software update. 7/10 times, pull in garage, press start/stop, engine off, radio and interior lights stay on. I know the fiber optic cycling routine of about 3-4 mins, but this is very odd and often longer. Other times it goes right off when leaving. Prefer not to have to lock it every time to get it to fully go off. Weird to walk about in public parking knowing it's off, but not really all 'off'. Nothing in any seats, but once driver door closes and I'm out, the car should turn completely off.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Obligatory pics, of course...
Imperial Blue Metallic over Zagora Nappa leather

2019 759i Imperial/Zagora
2009 911 Turbo Cab
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
If you search the forum you will find answers.

The shutoff can be accomplished by opening the door after 3 seconds have elapsed from start/stop push. Look at your idrive settings for this. If this does not work, press and hold the radio's volume button until everything shuts off. If your dealer is perplexed by this you need a new dealer.

The V1 is responding most likely to the gesture control, and apparently even if you turn it off in idrive there is something lurking here. I think if you search you will find that some people have covered the gesture control sensor. I've got a remote radar/laser system so the sensors are out of the cabin.

Not sure what you are saying about the turbo cooler fan you are hearing -- or not hearing. It will run dependent on how hot it got and a 15 minute drive may not do it.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 02-04-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:56 AM   #3
Eric (Plug Guy)
Rep

Dealer was just perplexed about why sometimes it seemed to be fine, other times not. Great experienced service folks there. They want us to log it then they will re-visit the on/off issue.

Valentine replied today about the same issue you mentioned and was mentioned in one other thread about gesture control. Either block the rear facing laser sensor on the V1, or block gesture control. Will test.

Fan issue was just odd since we've had the vehicle long enough that I would have expected to hear it at shutoff, but never did until this past weekend.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
2009 911 Turbo Cab
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:26 PM   #4
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Did you get an answer on the V1? I am about to get mine updated before I use it in the 750.
      05-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Eric (Plug Guy)
Rep

Yes. V-1 will go nuts if left as is. The easiest option is to tape over the rear facing antenna with a tiny piece of black tape. Invisible. Rear radar is likely to bounce around and front antenna may pick it up, which is fine.

Otherwise you could arrange to code out the emitter in the dash sending the signals for finger wave control, etc.

Or build a dam like structure under the V-1. Opted to try the tape for now.

-----

Here is the note from Valentine:

We have had 2 issues with the newer BMWs, and unfortunately they both resemble police laser. There are a few tricks you can do to avoid turning off the laser detection.

If the laser warning is showing mainly to the rear, arrow down, it is probably due to the gesture control. Most of our customers either find where the laser is emitting from the gesture control in their vehicle and block it using light blocking tape such as electrical tape, or if they do not want to lose that feature, block the rear laser sensor on the V1. The rear laser sensor on the V1 is to the right of the seven segment display, to the left of the band ID letters. You can see a circle underneath the label where the rear sensor is located. I would say the majority of the people I have talked to block that little circle with electrical tape. You would still have forward laser warning in that scenario.

If the laser warning is mainly to the front, arrow up, it could be your navigational screen. A quick check for that would be to completely block your navigational screen with a heavy coat or something similar. If this appears to be the problem, you can try moving your V1. Some customers who choose not to move their V1 create a small visor on the bottom of the V1 to block the light coming up into the sensors from underneath. Many have had success just taping a business card on the bottom of their unit coming out an inch or two at the windshield end of their unit, in essence creating a small "visor".

One or both of these fixes should alleviate your laser falsing.

If you choose to just turn off laser, I have included a link to our user programming.

http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/techreport3.asp
2009 911 Turbo Cab
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy) View Post
Yes. V-1 will go nuts if left as is. The easiest option is to tape over the rear facing antenna with a tiny piece of black tape. Invisible. Rear radar is likely to bounce around and front antenna may pick it up, which is fine.

Otherwise you could arrange to code out the emitter in the dash sending the signals for finger wave control, etc.

-----

We have had 2 issues with the newer BMWs, and unfortunately they both resemble police laser. There are a few tricks you can do to avoid turning off the laser detection.

If the laser warning is showing mainly to the rear, arrow down, it is probably due to the gesture control. Most of our customers either find where the laser is emitting from the gesture control in their vehicle and block it using light blocking tape such as electrical tape, or if they do not want to lose that feature, block the rear laser sensor on the V1. The rear laser sensor on the V1 is to the right of the seven segment display, to the left of the band ID letters. You can see a circle underneath the label where the rear sensor is located. I would say the majority of the people I have talked to block that little circle with electrical tape. You would still have forward laser warning in that scenario.

If the laser warning is mainly to the front, arrow up, it could be your navigational screen. A quick check for that would be to completely block your navigational screen with a heavy coat or something similar. If this appears to be the problem, you can try moving your V1. Some customers who choose not to move their V1 create a small visor on the bottom of the V1 to block the light coming up into the sensors from underneath. Many have had success just taping a business card on the bottom of their unit coming out an inch or two at the windshield end of their unit, in essence creating a small "visor".

If you choose to just turn off laser, I have included a link to our user programming.

Awesome thanks or the update
      05-29-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy) View Post

-----

Tape? That's Valentine One's solution? What a bunch of clowns.
The V1 is outdated and outperformed by the Uniden R3 and above anyway.
Appreciate 0