BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

View Poll Results: Do you want the wall?
Yes, build that Wall 127 47.04%
No, it's a waste of money 119 44.07%
Indifferent/no opinion, doesn't matter 24 8.89%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Today, 06:34 PM   #353
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Question on the wall for those of you more educated on the subject than me. Perhaps this has been addressed but I'm admittedly too lazy to go back 16 pages to find out:

Does the US government own some swath of property all along the border? Kinda like the city owns the sidewalk in front of your house? In other words, will the wall be built entirely on US government owned land or do private citizens own property right up to the border and thus will have the government taking some of their land by eminent domain and coming onto their land to do the construction?
Ahhh, nevermind. Found a good article that summed it up. About 1/3 of the land along the proposed wall route is currently owned by the federal government. The remaining 2/3 is owned by states, native tribes, and individual citizens.

So how does the administration plan to access all this land? Through the courts and eminent domain? That'll take decades. Or perhaps just take it by force?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:48 PM   #354
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
HMMMMMM.

Name a policy of Trumps that is good, that would not have been supported by the other Republicans who ran in 2016 (and none of them would be under investigation for conspiring with Russians).
Prison reform, ending Iran deal, moving Israeli capital, got more money out of NATO, negotiated NAFTA. These are what came off the top of my head, but I am sure there are more.
Thank you for your response

I'm torn on the Iran deal, at least on the part where we finally had dialogue. And he did not abrogate it because they were violating it, he abrogated it because it is a campaign promise. Don't know if that's a good way to conduct foreign policy.

Moving the Embassy to Jerusalem. Good move, very minor deal.

Renegotiating NAFTA: maybe better, maybe worse. Pulling out the transpacific deal, probably a bad idea.

NATO Contributions? Obama had already accomplished that, I believe was in their budget. We just need to follow up.

Today, 07:32 PM   #355
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Dodger View Post
Thank you for your response

I'm torn on the Iran deal, at least on the part where we finally had dialogue. And he did not abrogate it because they were violating it, he abrogated it because it is a campaign promise. Don't know if that's a good way to conduct foreign policy.

Moving the Embassy to Jerusalem. Good move, very minor deal.

Renegotiating NAFTA: maybe better, maybe worse. Pulling out the transpacific deal, probably a bad idea.

NATO Contributions? Obama had already accomplished that, I believe was in their budget. We just need to follow up.
Respect your opinions, but I was stating these as policies the other republican candidates were not going to accomplish. I think that was the original question, I am too lazy to go back now.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:29 PM   #356
nosbocaj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
so, The Smartest Woman In The World got shellacked by an "imbecile".

i hadn't thought of that....
You think that Trump masterminded his victory all alone? He had an entire network of people strategizing from the early stages of the primaries to the day he won.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:34 PM   #357
Real Dodger
Field Marshal of the Cosmos
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Quote:

You think that Trump masterminded his victory all alone? He had an entire network of people strategizing from the early stages of the primaries to the day he won.
No. He ran against Hillary Clinton. Any Republican would've won. He's the only one who could lose the popular vote.
      Today, 08:41 PM   #358
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Ahhh, nevermind. Found a good article that summed it up. About 1/3 of the land along the proposed wall route is currently owned by the federal government. The remaining 2/3 is owned by states, native tribes, and individual citizens.

So how does the administration plan to access all this land? Through the courts and eminent domain? That'll take decades. Or perhaps just take it by force?
Eminent domain wouldn't take long if they offered people money for the land. Bush and Obama tried taking the land without offering anything in return. The land is mostly all worthless, if you paid people something, I am sure a lot would be fine with it.

Trump tower condos for all!!!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:55 PM   #359
Poiseuille
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosbocaj View Post
Quote:

yes, we call that a political campaign
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:06 PM   #360
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
Quote:

Eminent domain wouldn't take long if they offered people money for the land. Bush and Obama tried taking the land without offering anything in return. The land is mostly all worthless, if you paid people something, I am sure a lot would be fine with it.

Trump tower condos for all!!!
Lol. I just pictured a 1,000 mile wall of condos instead of a cement wall.
Appreciate 0