BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

01-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Oil Change @ Indy; ARGH! :|

COSTCO was running a special on Mobil 1, so I pick up two 6 quart packs of 5W-30, I get an OEM oil filter from a dealer and head to my indy.

I tell the guy to use 8 quarts and I’ll add more later need be.

Oil change is done, car is idling in the shop for about 10 minutes (another car was blocking it in).

I ask what happened to the 4 remaining bottles - guy says he added all 8 - I say each box had 6 bottles for a total of 12. Guy added all 12 quarts to the car! WTH. SMH. F.

Car lifted up, some (not all) oil drained, then poured back into 4 of the empty bottles.

I get home, remove the now OPENED AND DIRTIED bottles (F!) from my trunk, but notice that the bottles are warm to the touch (the oil had gotten warm while the car was idling).

In the process of emptying the oil, a good amount soaked the guy’s hand while he was trying to close the drain cap, but he didn’t flinch / react – so the oil couldn’t have been too too hot.

Some questions:

Could 12 quarts of oil in the engine have damaged anything if the car was idling for 10 minutes or so?

and

What’s the deal with the oil that I now have left? Would it be safe to use going forward? The plastic bottles that the warmed oil was put back into couldn’t have been compromised, could they have been? (plastic particles in the oil would probably not be good for the engine).

Argh; was planning on keep 4 clean brand new unopened bottles of oil in the car. F. I guess I can always throw out these 4 bottles, but a waste of $30. And here I was trying to do things economically.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #2
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

I swear to god some of these techs are literally retarded - even worse at the dealer. Don't feel stupid having to explain to them how to do their job because they are usually short a few brain cells as is. I'm becoming more anal when I drop off my car - notating there are no dash lights or errors presently. When it comes to oil changes, I don't even pay until I see the i drive level is filled properly. Far too many times it was over filled and had to come back.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
I swear to god some of these techs are literally retarded - even worse at the dealer. Don't feel stupid having to explain to them how to do their job because they are usually short a few brain cells as is. I'm becoming more anal when I drop off my car - notating there are no dash lights or errors presently. When it comes to oil changes, I don't even pay until I see the i drive level is filled properly. Far too many times it was over filled and had to come back.
Thanks for acknowledging this.

And great to know that there's a way of determining if overfilled.

How are you able to determine drive level / if overfilled?

Does iDrive let you know?

My oil level in iDrive is showing completely full (line all the way to the top).

Last edited by dbs600; 01-20-2021 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for acknowledging this.

After having to interact with the tech upon learning of the oversight, I felt he may have possibly been a bit... inebriated? :/

Great to know that there's a way of determining if overfilled.

How are you able to determine drive level / if overfilled?

Does iDrive let you know?

My oil level in iDrive is showing completely full (line all the way to the top).
Yes, if overfilled above the top line, it should show you it is over.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You're saying the green line on the diagram in iDrive is able to go above the top of the line? Seems like the top of the line is the top of the screen.

If it's able to show if overfilled, that's great! I didn't realize it can show same.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:56 AM   #6
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Quote:
You're saying the green line on the diagram in iDrive is able to go above the top of the line? Seems like the top of the line is the top of the screen.

If it's able to show if overfilled, that's great! I didn't realize it can show same.
It was on many Idrive systems. I guess it's not on all newer ones I guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

According to the TIS...the “sensor”doesn’t indicate overfilling...so I’m not sure if the iDrive display moves higher than the MAX line...so you should probably stop when the oil level indicator is at the MAX line:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 10:41 PM   #8
dbs600
Colonel
Rep

Thank you for the additional info.

With 'increased oil consumption', already running at less than max!

Hmm. :|
Appreciate 0