BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-06-2018, 09:28 PM   #45
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4greenleaves View Post
Finally someone who understand... Everyone accepts this is how it is. If you don't like it then you suck and you shouldn't have a BMW... You should of done your research, your not right for the car, go back to a Camry.. blah blah

Just because I drive a $100K car does not mean I want to spend $50K in making it do what it should, work!

I love my 7, best car I've had. Once I can get out with minimal loss I'm never looking back. Like I said, break my wallet.
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #46
luv4greenleaves
Rep
Drives: 2014 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
I see many of these on the road today driving around... Funny I don't see many older BMWs...I wonder why??
Appreciate 3
Germanauto9665.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #47
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
I knew the history.. clean. Original owner got it serviced by BMW and it was not a lease. It was lightly used with only 24K miles. No repairs only maintenance items.
Well I guess its the luck of the draw.. sorry it happened to ya
we're a bunch of 3 series owners here and most have little trouble
you could go to the 7 series forum and mingle.. if the 7 has issues you'll prob get a lot of sympathy
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #48
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
I have owned BMWs since 1977 and have had 18 of them. I have had my M4 for 4 years now and has only had oil changes. I have had my Z3 for almost 18 years and have had to replace the top and the A/C compressor. All the other ones I had, except for one were equally as reliable.

Sorry you have had the problems that you have had, but I wouldn't judge BMW by your 7-series. You might want to check this out with regards to reliability:

https://www.businessinsider.com/most...-6-chevrolet-6
I don't buy these "statistics" one bit. It seems that major costly problems in BMWs are counted the same as something minor in a Japanese car.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #49
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Quote:
I see many of these on the road today driving around... Funny I don't see many older BMWs...I wonder why??
For the same reason why you don't see many old Honda Civics or Subaru WRX's. The fast ones have been crashed, the slow ones cost more to maintain than they were worth.

If you buy a car with cutting edge technology you pay a surcharge in both price and reliability. When that cutting edge technology goes mainstream it gets cheaper and more reliable, then the cars with the less advanced technology for the day last longer than the 'cutting-edge' ones.

Look, if you'd purchased a 328i or a 525d, I'd be right up there with you saying "unreliable is unacceptable". But you bought a 750.

People who buy flagship BMW's, Mercs, Rolls Royces don't care about reliability as long as they don't get stranded. For the first owner, the car is under warranty, and chances are if you've got a new 7 series, you've got a second or third car to go with it.

Just like how people still keep buying Patek Philippe watches, even though they keep worse time than a $10 quartz, and need to be sent back to Switzerland every 5 years for a service.

Imagine paying more than $30,000 for a watch that keeps worse time than a $3 watch, then not be able to wear it for 6 months every 5 years because it's being serviced?

Complaining about the cost of repairs in a 750 is like complaining about the servicing cost of a Porche 911 or the fuel economy of a SRT Hellcat.

It's easy enough to blame the first-owners of these cars, but did _you_ do any research before buying? If 'everyone [you] know who has or had a bimmer lives to eventually regret it' why did you buy one?

Toyota make some of the most reliable cars in the world.

German cars are reliable when they're compared with French, English, Italian, Australian and American cars. They're known for their cutting-edge engineering, their performance, their driver feedback, their ability to handle autobahn speeds, their responsiveness to driver input... Not their reliability, Not their resale value and certainly not their total cost of ownership. That's what Japanese cars are known for.

I mean - I'm with you. My car is ten years old, the glue on the back window has given way, and it means a whole new ($7,000) roof. Speaking to other owners, they're like "oh yeah, I had my roof replaced three times under warranty". Seriously?! How bloody hard is it to manufacture a fabric top for a car in 2008?! Thirty-year-old Mazda Miatas generally still have their original roof. Why is it acceptable? ... well, the original owners didn't care, because it was replaced under warranty. BMW doesn't care because it gave the original owners good reason to sell it and buy a new BMW at the end of the warranty period. Second-hand BMW owners care, but we also like the fact that second-hand BMW's cost half as much as second-hand Porsche's and have twice as much power as second-hand Mazdas/Toyotas/Subarus etc.
Don't like it? ... well, buy a Mazda/Toyota/Subaru.

Have you considered a Lexus?
I think it's going to be more what you're looking for.
Appreciate 2
werdn656.00
001BMW0.00
      08-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #50
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

100% with OP on this.

I love BMW as much as the next guy but it's no secret that these cars are absolute headaches after the warranty period expires. My dad has just given up on the brand and reverted to daily driving his leased Camry.

Personally, I've resorted to daily driving a Lexus IS. It's not as good a car as BMW but I don't have to f*ckin worry every day about something breaking and emptying my wallet.

You guys can fanboy for BMW all you want but stereotypes are rooted in truth. They are among the best if you want cutting edge powertrains and technology, but all this advanced engineering comes at a price. BMW also does not care about reliability because they know that the majority of their customers just lease. Investing in making more reliable vehicles wouldn't pay any dividends.
Appreciate 4
2000cs3443.50
werdn656.00
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #51
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
OP just sell your car, cut your losses and buy a Japanese car. Seems like you didn't do any research before you got into a BMW and is salty about it. A lot of people like yourself don't account for the cost of ownership on a used german car.
OP has every right to be upset because his car, which only has ~26K miles and is still under the factory warranty, is already falling apart.

I would also be in the "you didn't do your research" boat if the car were high mileage, but all these issues at such low mileage is unacceptable in ANY car.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      08-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #52
luv4greenleaves
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
OP has every right to be upset because his car, which only has ~26K miles and is still under the factory warranty, is already falling apart.

I would also be in the "you didn't do your research" boat if the car were high mileage, but all these issues at such low mileage is unacceptable in ANY car.
Preach
Appreciate 2
      08-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #53
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Rankings & Research

The 2018 BMW 7-Series ranked #3 in Super Luxury Cars. Currently the BMW 7-Series has a score of 8.7 out of 10 which is based on our evaluation of 14 pieces of research and data elements using various sources.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/bmw/7-series
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:05 PM   #54
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I don't buy these "statistics" one bit. It seems that major costly problems in BMWs are counted the same as something minor in a Japanese car.
Well, I know some people have bad luck with cars, but I don't buy your BMW doomsday story either. Having owned 18 BMWs and only had one that ever had any problems, I have confidence in the brand. I have never leased and always bought. Some of them I had for very long term - 20 years, 12 years, 8 years and my Z3 I have now had for 18 years. I have had very good success and I will stand by them. Just my experience.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 2
      08-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #55
PshhhhhMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 Alpine White M550i

Never buy a used high ticket BMW unless its CPO. Didnt read the middle page but from what I gathered you purchased a 7 series with less than 30k miles and didnt get an extended warranty?

If you purchased from a private seller you probably got a good deal since you didnt bother with getting a warranty for all the repairs you're complaining about. And while having all these issues at such low mileage is poor luck, you gambled and unfortunately lost.

I get your complaints about reliability but you also have to know about reputation and what the brand is about. A lot of people hit it spot on when they said it's a 3 year car and on to the next one. No problem picking up a used one as long as you get that warranty to protect yourself.

Edit
Just reread your OP. You do have the warranty. You're fine. Be happy it's getting fixed. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #56
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Because back in those days BMWs were genuinely expensive, so less of them hit the road new.

Now they’re not, to the point where some of the “premium” brands (whatever that means today) sell as many or more than mainstream brands.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #57
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

I will say this though.

If they had offered the ISF or current IS350 with a clutch, I would have been strongly looking at either of those before getting the 235.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #58
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
or Nissan (except the GTR) is extremely reliable
The GT-R is actually quite reliable once all TSBs have been taken care of. I will admit, there were a lot of them on the earlier models (mine included)
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      08-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #59
hunterp27
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpina B7 LWB

This is one of those topics that just doesn't have a really good answer. I am with the OP that a 100K car with 26K miles should not be a constant worry or eating up your wallet. On the other hand there is a trade-off when looking at reliability versus technology versus performance. Always has been, always will be. Truth be told, BMW doesn't need to do a dang thing. This is working EXACTLY as they want it to. They make these cars last for 3-4 years and they include all of the typical maintenance items during that period whether its leased or financed or purchased outright. The car doesn't know what financial vehicle was used to acquire it. BMW, Mercedes, Audi could all make these cars last longer if it was costing them business. Simply put, it's NOT. Once that happens on a large scale they will change their model. You know this, we all know this and we still keep buying them because the stir the sole the way an Infiniti or Lexus doesn't. I have had three LS400's and I like them. I have had several M5's and one Alpina B7 and I LOVE it. That's the driver here. Not the cost, not the reliability, not the fanboy syndrome or hood ornament chasing. I love the way the car makes me feel. I can admit it.
Appreciate 2
Kyngofpop676.00
001BMW0.00
      08-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #60
hunterp27
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpina B7 LWB

One more thing. One huge problem with any of these cars built on the hot-V design (turbos inside the valley) is HEAT !!!! heat kills in mechanical and electronic scenarios. Most of the issues I have faced with my B7 is related to heat and degraded hoses and such. If they could do two things it would help tremendously:
1. better materials on anything inside the engine bay
2. figure out a way to get the heat out of the engine bay. something, anything!!!!
All you gotta do is stand next to one of these MFer's while running on a hot summer day and you can feel the heat coming from underneath. Or, when you park it in the garage after driving, come out to the garage 10 mins later and the garage is 10 degrees warmer. Heat kills.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 08:36 PM   #61
luv4greenleaves
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterp27 View Post
This is one of those topics that just doesn't have a really good answer. I am with the OP that a 100K car with 26K miles should not be a constant worry or eating up your wallet. On the other hand there is a trade-off when looking at reliability versus technology versus performance. Always has been, always will be. Truth be told, BMW doesn't need to do a dang thing. This is working EXACTLY as they want it to. They make these cars last for 3-4 years and they include all of the typical maintenance items during that period whether its leased or financed or purchased outright. The car doesn't know what financial vehicle was used to acquire it. BMW, Mercedes, Audi could all make these cars last longer if it was costing them business. Simply put, it's NOT. Once that happens on a large scale they will change their model. You know this, we all know this and we still keep buying them because the stir the sole the way an Infiniti or Lexus doesn't. I have had three LS400's and I like them. I have had several M5's and one Alpina B7 and I LOVE it. That's the driver here. Not the cost, not the reliability, not the fanboy syndrome or hood ornament chasing. I love the way the car makes me feel. I can admit it.
You said it correctly, it heat that kills. I understand new technology fails but so far I've had all mechanical stuff fail. My first BMW and I've learned a lot. I've dropped $3K on an extended warranty and I never buy extended warranty but something tells me I'm going to win this one.

Once I can get out of this car (3-4yrs) my plan is to never own one of these ever again. I will lease it and beat the bejusus out of it and return in! I'm also looking at Benz and Porsche and shying away from BMW. Everyone I know with BMW has issues, everyone I know with Benz or No issues.

I love the ride- smooth and quit. But I have to be able to trust it..
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00
      11-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #62
jdcrammond
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 750iXDrive

Reading all these posts and felt I needed to pitch in. I have owned 6 BMWs in my life. Most recently bought a medium mileage 2011 750ixdrive about 90 j on it. Car is mint. BUT I knew I would likely face the oil seal issue. I checkseked eight he dealer and all CCP matters had been handled under original owner warranty. Car is two owner and I am second. I purchased a third party warranty for 3600 dollars
In my first three months I put 4 k on the car. One day noticed the dreaded blue smoke after idle. Took it to BMW Toronto and they said get a new engine for 22 k and by the way we don’t allow third party warranty work on our promises. I did some inquiring and found the top and I mean top BMW Indy garage in Toronto. They had now issue with my warranty and fought hard to. Heave the tire engine rebuild done under my warranty and succeeded. All except the walnut blasting on the manifolds I take and exhaust. Every pipe and clamp in the valley was replaced as all had degraded. Car is back and runs better than new plus. I know the parts that were replaced are the newer versions of stuff that was not up to standard such as seals and coolant hoses. Had einjectorabcleaned which had already been replaced under CCP. I needed up out of pocket for a walnut blast and oil level sensor and half a dozen clamps. The owner of the Indy shop told me that in his view and he has done a lot of N63 engines the rebuild is almost required maintenance on these at 100k.
Moral of the story but the best history car you can then spend the extra on the top end after market warranty and never worry again. If it’s a used car don’t beat the crap out of it. If it’s N63 change the oils every 3,000 km and don’t believe the lifetime trans fluid story. I have mine done recently and smooth as butter with NO repercussions. Also a NEVER run any ethanol fuel. Up here in Canada She’ll 91 is pure gas and changed my car completely These engine management systems do NOT like ethanol. For those that use snow tires I put on a set of TOYO 20 inch staggered and they are awesome in the snow just last weekend. This car is more than heavy enough to run staggered in the winter. My MB has Hankook and just as good. Bottom line is I good warrant nconstsnt upkeep manintance and don’t beat the shit out of the car. I drive mine 90 percent of the time in comfort mode but kick it when I feel like it. They were built to compete with a Bentley continental basically so that’s the ride and the cost you get.

Last edited by jdcrammond; 11-17-2018 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:10 AM   #63
7sportplus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 7 series 750 LI

Quote:
Yes, you make perfect sense. These cars are bulit for the first lease owner and that it. Who care about the second, third, or on.

The business model is for the 1st lease owner so their car only needs to make it 3 years. I've learned a very valuable lesson from my first BMW.

When ever I can get out of my 2014 750ix with the least amount of loss I plan to only lease the new 7 series going forward... This way I can beat the hell out of it and make it someone else's.problem..

For now I'm stuck with this car for a few years so I'll take it in the shorts and buy extended warranty..
That is exactly how it goes. Doesn't make since but that's our reality.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #64
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I sympathize with the OP, but I can assure you as someone who has owned 4 Hondas, BMWs can be as reliable as Japanese cars with much better rust resistance, if you pick the right model. My E90 is bullet proof and is such a joy to drive. At best, the Hondas were decent to drive, but the BMW takes it to the next level.

You unfortunately, bought the most unreliable engine BMW ever made, bar none. They pushed new technology without having a proven design and you will be paying the price. The older 7 series used to be decently reliable.

Best advise is to sell it and buy a BMW with an inline 6. The V8s in all their incarnations over the years have had issues, but the older V8s non turbo charged had less issues. The NA inline 6s are bullet proof, and the N55 Turbo 6s onward are decently reliable. Just stay away from the N54. Good luck and happy motoring.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #65
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

I made the mistake of buying a used 5.0 XJ before doing enough research to discover that Ford screwed up the water pump design. Mine failed big time on I-40 with enough residual heat to trash the motor. The problem was exacerbated by Jaguar damping (or trick f'ing) the temperature gauge to the point that it was easy to believe I had a sensor fault regarding coolant.

There were two attempts to change the motor and my SA advised I dump the car as that much disturbance of the wiring "often leads to issues". That was 100% true as the first time I tried to pick up the car it seems that somebody missed a vital motor ground connection.

I thought I was good to go as the car before the XJ was a 4.2 XKR which was faultless other than the usual Jaguar infotainment sensitivity to battery voltage. The only other thing wrong with the XKR was the state of the roads in the desert SW, if you get my drift.

My point in all this is to back up the OP in his assertion that a FLAGSHIP model should not exhibit these kinds of issues. It tarnishes the entire brand. You could not give me a V6 or V8 Jaguar with a pre-2015 water pump in it today.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #66
luv4greenleaves
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
I sympathize with the OP, but I can assure you as someone who has owned 4 Hondas, BMWs can be as reliable as Japanese cars with much better rust resistance, if you pick the right model. My E90 is bullet proof and is such a joy to drive. At best, the Hondas were decent to drive, but the BMW takes it to the next level.

You unfortunately, bought the most unreliable engine BMW ever made, bar none. They pushed new technology without having a proven design and you will be paying the price. The older 7 series used to be decently reliable.

Best advise is to sell it and buy a BMW with an inline 6. The V8s in all their incarnations over the years have had issues, but the older V8s non turbo charged had less issues. The NA inline 6s are bullet proof, and the N55 Turbo 6s onward are decently reliable. Just stay away from the N54. Good luck and happy motoring.

Unfortunately I have been told by many advisors that the 7 & 5 series bimmers are all like this. New or old. The only bulletproof car is the 3 series but at that price I'd save my money and go back to a camry. I've bought extended o for $3K and so far so good. I'm praying to God I never have to use it but I'm pretty sure I will. I love the car but the reliability is complete trash for a $130K car. My plan is to hold on for 3 more years and dump.
Appreciate 1
Kyngofpop676.00