BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #23
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
Do you guys notice the car is hire adaptive mode than comfort? The past couple of days I noticed when I park, the car is really high! Is this normal or should I get the suspension checked?
Yes it sits higher in adaptive mode, no need to have it checked.
      09-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #24
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
you're probably correct, it's the one that reads the road surface (using the car's camera) and adjust the suspension accordingly to minimize roll, like the one in MB.
Yes having done a search it's a feature of the executive drive pro option, very nifty!
      09-07-2019, 08:04 AM   #25
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Glad to hear you are enjoying your G11 and that lovely 740d xDrive model.

I tend to put it in adaptive myself but only started that about 26,000 miles in!

In my previous F01, comfort mode was the standard mode for me and so I just did the same for the beginning with the G11 but then after reading on here about some others using adaptive or eco pro, etc...thought I should start giving it a chance...I personally don't find the suspension tightening up at all in adaptive but the throttle does become far more responsive of course. I tend to like the adaptive as it is a good fuel compromise as it takes on some elements of eco pro as well so for me the benefits are;

-it saves fuel over sport but is more responsive than comfort
-it doesn't have the annoying habit of coasting for too long and then overcompensating to get back to the adaptive cruise level set that eco pro does
-it isn't too harsh for my 'princess' bottom on most roads and conditions in the UK but is not quite so 'boat' like as comfort or comfort plus
-I do find it still too soft when I do want some sporty driving so I still put it in sport then for that bit and then drop back to adaptive afterwards.
-I don't notice the seat bolsters tightening up at all in adaptive which I like when in sport.
-I do like that the stop/start cuts out in sport but wish that could be a feature of adaptive. (just for periods when one does feel like giving it off the line or roundabout).

-obviously one could program the car to default to adaptive and to not use start / stop but both features are useful on my regular commutes so still prefer the stock setup.

I do wonder if the MSport (which I assume you have @[Wills2] (contact:250902) ) provides more of a change in adaptive than my 'bog standard' 730d?

Glad you are enjoying it in any case, I know what you mean about falling in love with it again after a loaner...I had my A/C fixed this Summer and the 4 series GT loaner was a nice car but not a patch on the 7. Luckily I only end up driving mine 2 or 3 days max each week and that helps to keep it feeling special.

Safe travels.
I'm not sure there is that much difference if any as we all have air suspension, although the dampers could be stiffer on the M sport? I had a 730d for 5 weeks this year and found it to be a better drive than mine, lighter on its feet and felt quicker to respond to the throttle, the 740d seems to build its power delivery whereas I found the 730d to be much more responsive.

Last edited by Wills2; 09-20-2019 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:54 PM   #26
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Thanks for confirming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #27
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Mine is in Adaptive 95% of the time and it works brilliantly, particularly because it’s got Executive Drive Pro so it’s adjusting the anti-roll bars as well plus using the camera as well as the other sensors.
Exact reason why I use adaptive as well, switch to sport once in a while. With Executive Drive Pro adaptive is better than comfort. It smoothen outs the ride noticeably.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:47 AM   #28
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Adaptive uses the camera to detect any obstacles in front of the car when parking so it raises the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:58 AM   #29
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

I use them all anytime I go for a drive. Each setting is useful depending on the driving situation. As long as you know the roads you are driving on.
Appreciate 0